How to spot P40's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've read the refurbished P40s will be assigned to LD service. Any particular reason for that? I mean since they have, (or will be), pretty much been upgraded to P42 specs, (as far as I know), then it shouldn't really matter where there assigned.
They're up to P42 specs? Including fuel consumption and power effciency?
AFAIK there are negligible differences between the two in this regard. The biggest difference between the two is in the braking system. A P-42 works with electronic braking whereas a P-40 has an old school brake system like an F-40. The old brakes work better for long trains like AT, which is part of the reason they had a captive fleet for so many years. Don't be surprised if you see them fight for their fleet of motors back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well considering Amtrak doesn't have any P-40's in active service, I don't really see how that's possible. Most of the fleet was mothballed a few years back. Some of the units are still running having been leased by CDOT or by being bought by NJT. But the ones that Amtrak owns are stored serviceable.
And now thanks to the Stimulus package, 15 of them are heading to BG for an overhaul, before being returned to active service.
Precisely - from a post by Rafi in the thread where I reported the P40's @ Ivy:

Thanks for that link, MadMan...
I also stumbled across this little nugget on page 68-69 (I've added bold to call out main points which may be of interest to some forum members):

(lots of good non-P40 related stuff removed)

P-40s RETURNING TO SERVICE

This project will return to service 15 P-40 Locomotives in order for them to be used in long distance service. During the overhaul of the P-40 locomotives, all main components of the unit including the auxiliary generator power contactors, voltage regulator, batteries, trucks and air brake will be replaced or overhauled. The 480 volt system, event recorder, and interior components such as seat, doors, windows and control stand will be inspected and replaced. All modifications on file will be completed. The cab interior and exterior will be refurbished and painted.

Justification:

The following P-40 locomotives have a capital per unit estimated cost of $867,000: 807, 814, 815, 816, 817, 818, 821, 822, 823, 824, 830, 831, 832, 835 and 837.

These locomotives will be used in long distance service.
-Rafi

Well considering Amtrak doesn't have any P-40's in active service, I don't really see how that's possible. Most of the fleet was mothballed a few years back. Some of the units are still running having been leased by CDOT or by being bought by NJT. But the ones that Amtrak owns are stored serviceable.
And now thanks to the Stimulus package, 15 of them are heading to BG for an overhaul, before being returned to active service.
Precisely - from a post by Rafi in the thread where I reported the P40's @ Ivy:

Thanks for that link, MadMan...
I also stumbled across this little nugget on page 68-69 (I've added bold to call out main points which may be of interest to some forum members):

(lots of good non-P40 related stuff removed)

P-40s RETURNING TO SERVICE

This project will return to service 15 P-40 Locomotives in order for them to be used in long distance service. During the overhaul of the P-40 locomotives, all main components of the unit including the auxiliary generator power contactors, voltage regulator, batteries, trucks and air brake will be replaced or overhauled. The 480 volt system, event recorder, and interior components such as seat, doors, windows and control stand will be inspected and replaced. All modifications on file will be completed. The cab interior and exterior will be refurbished and painted.

Justification:

The following P-40 locomotives have a capital per unit estimated cost of $867,000: 807, 814, 815, 816, 817, 818, 821, 822, 823, 824, 830, 831, 832, 835 and 837.

These locomotives will be used in long distance service.
-Rafi

One thing not quite right about the list of engines to be returned to service: 839 will be coming back, not 807. 807 was wrecked in the City of New Orleans derailment in 1999. If you look at my user name, you'll see why I had to point that out. :)

Well I suppose its good that BG is creating work for not just workers, but part manufacturers and shippers and painters and paint makers and such. The only question I have now is...

With these new locos lined up outside the door-- will the rush the Heritage refurbs out of the shop so they can get on the LSL and replace that godforsaken Diner-Lite? :p

It really just seems that Amtrak looses a lot of units in a year-- between wrecks fires and seizures--
They haven't lost that many of them, of the original 207 motors brought, 199 are still active. And of the 9 currently off the active roster, I believe that only about 4 or 5 of them are either considered beyond repair or already scrapped. Sadly one of the best sources for this type of data Goby's trains seems to have bitten the dust. :(

It really just seems that Amtrak looses a lot of units in a year-- between wrecks fires and seizures--
They haven't lost that many of them, of the original 207 motors brought, 199 are still active. And of the 9 currently off the active roster, I believe that only about 4 or 5 of them are either considered beyond repair or already scrapped. Sadly one of the best sources for this type of data Goby's trains seems to have bitten the dust. :(
An omen for the other 199 then?

How many of the 199 are currently being used. What I mean is, how many of them go out onto the road on any given day-- certainly they don't use all 199.

As for the P40s, how many were bought and how many are in the mothballed fleet?

How many of the 199 are currently being used. What I mean is, how many of them go out onto the road on any given day-- certainly they don't use all 199.
I honestly don't know just how many they need to have on the road on any given day. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say between 120 to 150.

As for the P40s, how many were bought and how many are in the mothballed fleet?
There were originally 43 purchased by Amtrak, by 2003 only 38 were still active so I have to assume that there were a few wrecks along the way. Prior to all the P40's being retired, there were still 10 on the active list, with most of the rest having already been mothballed. As Battalion noted, those units were largely used on the Auto Train because the P40's handling better suited that particular train.

With the 10 that have now been sold to CDOT and NJT, that left 28 units in mothballs, of which of course 15 will now get a second lease on life.

One thing not quite right about the list of engines to be returned to service: 839 will be coming back, not 807. 807 was wrecked in the City of New Orleans derailment in 1999. If you look at my user name, you'll see why I had to point that out. :)
Something is wrong here, as 839 is not listed as stored dead, which to me would indicate that it's been wrecked and even possibly scrapped. It wasn't one of the 10 that were sold either.

As for 807, it was indeed one of the locos on the City that fateful day, but it was the lead loco and the least damaged loco, despite landing on its side. It was 829 that burned for 90 minutes and led to the fire in the sleeper that killed the 11 people in that accident.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, just that things don't add up here.

The gobytrain.us site has been having problems with the supplier of the server space failing to process the renewal payment. A longer term solution is being worked on, with the URL remaining the same but with the data on a new server.

In the meantime a temporary form of the site is now back and running at

a temporary site address

I concur with the rough numbers of P42's that could be beyond repair.

143 and 149 have been dismantled and very little remains of them.

8 may be beyond repair.

3, 7 and 200 may get repaired.

32, 167 and 173 will probably be repaired.

Of those potentially repairable, until this month 78 was the longest out of service (fire in Jun 2006), but that one has just been repaired and is now back in service.

Geoff_S

Geoff,

I'm glad to hear that all is not lost, as your site was and is a valuable resource IMHO. Thanks for chiming in to let us know where to find it.

And thanks for the minu update! :)

Something is wrong here, as 839 is not listed as stored dead, which to me would indicate that it's been wrecked and even possibly scrapped. It wasn't one of the 10 that were sold either.
As for 807, it was indeed one of the locos on the City that fateful day, but it was the lead loco and the least damaged loco, despite landing on its side. It was 829 that burned for 90 minutes and led to the fire in the sleeper that killed the 11 people in that accident.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, just that things don't add up here.
800 to 806: Stored Bear/Wilmington DE

807: Scrapped Beech Grove (Wreck Boubonnais IL 16MAR1999)

808: Sold to NJTransit NJT4801

809: Stored Bear/Wilmington DE

810: Sold to NJTransit NJT4802

811: Stored Bear/Wilmington DE

812: Sold to NJTransit NJT4800

813 to 818: Stored Bear/Wilmington DE

819: Scrapped (Wreck Big Bayou Canot 22SEP1993)

820: Sold to NJTransit NJT4803

821: Ivy City, Washington DC (April 2009)

822 to 828: Stored Bear/Wilmington DE

829: Scrapped Beech Grove (Wreck Boubonnais IL 16MAR1999)

830, 831, 837: Stored Bear/Wilmington DE

Former Auto Train Units (Phase Vb paint)

832: Ivy City Yard, Washington DC (April 2009)

833, 834: Sold to Conn DOT

835: Stored Bear/Wilmington DE

836, 838: Sold to Conn DOT

839: Stored Bear/Wilmington DE

840 to 842: Conn DOT

The Stimulus plan lists 15 for overhaul and return to long distance service: 807*, 814, 815, 816, 817, 818, 821, 822, 823, 824, 830, 831, 832, 835, 837.

* 807 seems to be an error and could really be 839 or one another.

Geoff_S

It's not so much that they have a lack of power, but as noted by GML, Amtrak is adding a few routes in Virginia for certain. There is a very serious possibilty of a new short haul route out of Chicago, and of course the possibility of something east of NOL with the study nearing completion. And then there are the extra Superliner cars that will be coming out of BG thanks to the Stimulus that will be increasing consist lengths and perhaps require extra power for certain trains. Finally it will serve to give Amtrak a bit more cushion for when things go wrong and more locos than estimated end up in the shop.
It probably even gives them some extra flexibility on the NEC, should new electric motors be delayed, they could once again go back to swapping locos at Philly, instead of DC.
The other problem that has been occuring, at least within the last year or two if it isn't still occuring now, is that sometimes the parts of a P42 that are critical to producing HEP will fail while an LD train is out on the road.

Routinely running long distance trains with a single locomotive that has no redundant HEP generating capabilities in places where the nearest other locomotive capable of producing HEP is typically many hours away with rolling stock whose tempature does not stay within the range that is particularily safe for people inside in some weather when HEP is unavailable does not strike me as a very good idea.

It's not so much that they have a lack of power, but as noted by GML, Amtrak is adding a few routes in Virginia for certain. There is a very serious possibilty of a new short haul route out of Chicago, and of course the possibility of something east of NOL with the study nearing completion. And then there are the extra Superliner cars that will be coming out of BG thanks to the Stimulus that will be increasing consist lengths and perhaps require extra power for certain trains. Finally it will serve to give Amtrak a bit more cushion for when things go wrong and more locos than estimated end up in the shop.
It probably even gives them some extra flexibility on the NEC, should new electric motors be delayed, they could once again go back to swapping locos at Philly, instead of DC.
The other problem that has been occuring, at least within the last year or two if it isn't still occuring now, is that sometimes the parts of a P42 that are critical to producing HEP will fail while an LD train is out on the road.

Routinely running long distance trains with a single locomotive that has no redundant HEP generating capabilities in places where the nearest other locomotive capable of producing HEP is typically many hours away with rolling stock whose tempature does not stay within the range that is particularily safe for people inside in some weather when HEP is unavailable does not strike me as a very good idea.
So the idea is trains may get a second (or third unit) or a P42 replaced with a P40 in order to ensure HEP. Why would the P40's be any better at getting HEP anyway, just designed better?

So the idea is trains may get a second (or third unit) or a P42 replaced with a P40 in order to ensure HEP. Why would the P40's be any better at getting HEP anyway, just designed better?
I think so because when NJT bought a few P40s they had to change the HEP to work with NJT cars maybe there all like that I have no idea.

The last figures I saw for P42s (a few months back) was that 161 are required for service each day (including protect power) and 29 should be on maintenance at any one time.

Geoff_S

The last figures I saw for P42s (a few months back) was that 161 are required for service each day (including protect power) and 29 should be on maintenance at any one time.

Geoff_S
Which means that they only have 10 spares. These 15 P40's would come in great handy then, you could keep the 10 P42 spares and integrate the P40's onto the road to solve HEP problems and add cars to the consists as they come out of BG.

Now THIS is stimulus!

To my knowledge the only LD Amtrak routes that routinely run with only one loco are the City of New Orleans, and the Cardinal. Everything else has at least two, if not three locos on it, so therefore I don't see this as a huge problem and it's very unlikely that the P40's are being reactivated simply to help protect against HEP failures.

The P40's are coming back in part because Amtrak has the money right now to restore them, and because the number of daily trains has increased since they were mothballed and that number is further expected to increase in the coming months.

To my knowledge the only LD Amtrak routes that routinely run with only one loco are the City of New Orleans, and the Cardinal. Everything else has at least two, if not three locos on it, so therefore I don't see this as a huge problem and it's very unlikely that the P40's are being reactivated simply to help protect against HEP failures.

The P40's are coming back in part because Amtrak has the money right now to restore them, and because the number of daily trains has increased since they were mothballed and that number is further expected to increase in the coming months.
I think the Texas Eagle usually only runs with one as well.

Some consider the Palmetto to be a LD train. That also only runs with one unit.

That's interesting since last I knew, Amtrak had an agreement with CSX not to send trains south of Richmond with only one engine. CSX and Amtrak came to that agreement after several P42 failures left trains stranded on CSX mains.

I hadn't heard that the restriction had been lifted.

That's interesting since last I knew, Amtrak had an agreement with CSX not to send trains south of Richmond with only one engine. CSX and Amtrak came to that agreement after several P42 failures left trains stranded on CSX mains.

Looks like it--

Interesting. I've railfanned regularly at ALX for more than a year, and have only seen the Palmetto with 2 engines once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back