How to best get segment discounts

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffW

Train Attendant
I'll be traveling from Rocheester to NYC in late March, and this great deal popped up!

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?ff=No&c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&p=1237405732514&cid=1248543314245&WT.mc_t=AdvanceBookingNov_HP4_A_WSP&WT.mc_n=AdvanceBookingNovLanding%20page&WT.mc_r=365&tiid=36160&audienceId=0&rtTracking=1

To summarize, if I book my travel to NYC now, I'll get 30% off my travel in March. Here's the question: do I need to make separate reservations for ROC to ALB and then ALB to NYC, or do they discount that particular segment?

I've never been one to tinker with the different rates... I've always assumed that with the weekly discounts, it works best to make reservations for the separate segments on the same line, and then the conductor simply punches the two tickets at once.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks. After a bit of investigation (and doing my own work...) it appears that the ALB to NYP segment is discounted no matter how you book your trip. No need to do any tricky planning. Thanks for your comment!

Thanks. After a bit of investigation (and doing my own work...) it appears that the ALB to NYP segment is discounted no matter how you book your trip. No need to do any tricky planning. Thanks for your comment!
If the sum were the same i.e. A to B and B to C priced separately were the same as A to C and if A to B were a discounted price, then you would be better off buying two separate tickets. If, before you travel, there was a deal on B to C, you could then trade in that reservation for the lower priced one. With a combined ticket, you would lose your original discounted price on the A to B portion by changing the reservation. Not only that but most of those discounts are off the full price so you might find that A to B at a discount can be combined with a separately purchased B to C at the AAA, Senior, Veterans, etc. price when purchased separately. Also, the B to C might qualify as a last minute weekly fare special so you can trade in your reservation on that.

Also, I can't say specifically about the ALB-NYP fare, but on the NEC the lowest fares (25% off 14-day advance) is ONLY on the lowest bucket. Once that bucket is sold, it goes to the next bucket - and no discount!
ohmy.gif
So one day the fare could be (say) $19 - discounted - but the next day it could be $36 - the next bucket non-discounted!
sad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back