How often do they de-rail?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DerailmentSurvivor1995 said:
Unless you count the SUNSET LIMITED derailment that I was involved with in Oct 1995...
Dont tell me the media blew that story out of proportion !!!

I was nearly killed that morning in Hyder Arizona...

TRAINS   ARE  N O T  THAT SAFE  folks....since the millions of miles of tracks are NOT correctly maintained to safety standards!!!!!!!

Dont waste your money or your life.

Drive your automobiles instead.
I work for the RR and i feel safer being on the train then in a car or an airplane. :)

Unless you count the SUNSET LIMITED derailment that I was involved with in Oct 1995...
Dont tell me the media blew that story out of proportion !!!

I was nearly killed that morning in Hyder Arizona...

TRAINS ARE N O T THAT SAFE folks....since the millions of miles of tracks are NOT correctly maintained to safety standards!!!!!!!

Dont waste your money or your life.

Drive your automobiles instead.
How dare you point your finger at Amtrak for that accident.I would like to know if you realy knew what happend that caused the train to derail if you don't i can tell you.

BNSF_1088 said:
I would like to know if you realy knew what happend that caused the train to derail if you don't i can tell you.
Can the hyperbole and just tell us.

Was the 1995 derailment the sabotage? I remember an episode of unsolved mysteries or something of that nature on FOX which mentioned one Sunset Limited being sabotaged. IIRC, they separated the track, but kept the electrical sensor connected so everything looked clear on the signal. It was an unfortuate, but unique case.

The fact is, odds are you won't be involved in a derailment. For those that were victims such as the one gentleman, there is very little we can say, because with such a tragic experience, nothing we can say will make it any less traumatic. Statistically people are more likely to be involved in automobile accidents, and we can't forget that those statistics are people. You have every right to be angry, upset, etc... but please don't blame and attack the members of this forum for the unfortunate series of events you experienced in and after the derailment. Theres nothing we've done, nor can do to change what happened, please don't fault us for what other individuals with cruel intentions have done. We come hear to express ourselves and escape the hardships we may or may not face outside.

For the rest of us, we don't expect to be involved in a derailment, because frankly if we looked at everything, much like this negatively, life wouldn't nearly mean as much. Yes, we do need to stop and realize what can and does happen, but we can't dwell on it...we have to go on enjoying what we do.

Just my opinion....

I am entitled to it....

I still feel I should have received some type of compensation for my losses.

I didnt even get any way to CALIFORNIA... I had to use the generousity of an United Airlines manager that was watching my CBS THIS MORNING

interview in PHOENIX...for a way to my final destination.

AMTRAK didnt even get me to my original destination, but should have !!!

Since I did pay my fare for a complete transportation ...

HOUSTON, TX -----> L.A. , CALIFORNIA

That also is why I'm still BITTER....

Derailments are a part of the business.

The majority of them occur in the railyards with little damage.

Depending on the weight(locos) or the distance from the track, a crane is usually called in.

If it's a minor derail, the cars can be rerailed using wood blocks to guide and lift the truck. Batwings(hourglass shaped steel molding) can be set on top of the track and the car is pulled thru the batwing. The batwing guides and lifts the car onto the rail. The wheels have to be within 6 " of the rail. You can drag the truck to the rail but damage is likely! :blink:

MJ B)

Sorry, I wasnt logged in....

But the post above MIAMI JOE'S was mine....

The post shows why I'm bitter...

Shouldnt I have at least been transported to the final destination, though?

Sorry, I wasnt logged in....
But the post above MIAMI JOE'S was mine....

The post shows why I'm bitter...

Shouldnt I have at least been transported to the final destination, though?
Yes you should have been taken to your destanation since you were on the train. :)

Viewliner said:
Was the 1995 derailment the sabotage?  I remember an episode of unsolved mysteries or something of that nature on FOX which mentioned one Sunset Limited being sabotaged.  IIRC, they separated the track, but kept the electrical sensor connected so everything looked clear on the signal.  It was an unfortuate, but unique case.  
The fact is, odds are you won't be involved in a derailment.  For those that were victims such as the one gentleman, there is very little we can say, because with such a tragic experience, nothing we can say will make it any less traumatic.  Statistically people are more likely to be involved in automobile accidents, and we can't forget that those statistics are people.  You have every right to be angry, upset, etc... but please don't blame and attack the members of this forum for the unfortunate series of events you experienced in and after the derailment.  Theres nothing we've done, nor can do to change what happened, please don't fault us for what other individuals with cruel intentions have done.  We come hear to express ourselves and escape the hardships we may or may not face outside.

For the rest of us, we don't expect to be involved in a derailment, because frankly if we looked at everything, much like this negatively, life wouldn't nearly mean as much.  Yes, we do need to stop and realize what can and does happen, but we can't dwell on it...we have to go on enjoying what we do.

This says it all very well.

As as to the question Viewliner raises about sabotage, yes, I think this is the one which appeared to be caused by that.

Yes to clear it all up so we all know what happened the people behind this miss aligned the rail but kept the eltrical circuit in place so the signals would not show a problem. Amtrak had a clear signal when it should have been red.

BNSF_1088 said:
Yes to clear it all up so we all know what happened the people behind this miss aligned the rail but kept the eltrical circuit in place so the signals would not show a problem. Amtrak had a clear signal when it should have been red.
Could this happen again?? I was living in Las Vegas when this happened. I seem to recall some evidence of tampering on the BNSF track somewhere between Kingman and Flagstaff back than too.

The Kingman incident was weather related, as the NTSB report showed. It is possible for the incident to occur again yes, I'd be lying if I said it can't. It was a very well planned attack, and all we can do is hope lightning doesn't strike twice.

Back