How come most dont take shower ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't speak for anyone else but....
After walking around the French Quarter in New Orleans before boarding the CONO next week, We're sure that we will be "all wet" and need a shower. We remember from last year the shower in the bedroom of the Superliners is ....claustrophobic, but we will definitely need one.

We're certain the same thing on the return from Chicago after walking around downtown Chicago.

Don't want to be thrown off the train, conductor and crew has enough to do already.

OK Why don't the signature line show up ?????

Donna n Paul Scott, La. BNSFmp149.1 Lafayette Subdivision

Operation Lifesaver Louisiana
Try the shower in the Trans Dorm. I think it might be a little bigger than the regular revenue car.

That's one of the perks that I really enjoy about sleeper class. I wish they would put a shower or two in each coach!! I'm thinking that you just won't see very many people hit the shower for a couple of reasons - first being that you may not see them because they have a shower in their room. Also, without a lot of strenuous activity to do on board, many folks probably don't need one daily. Though some of the temps that I've experience on board could resemble a broken sauna...

I shower at night, but unless its summer and I'm sweating up a storm, I'm not a big shower-er. A few times a week, usually. I can go quite a while without it, though.

I take showers at night due to my "blue collar" job.
If I'm clean on train, I'm saving water for others to take shower. :)

Well, I guess I never thought of it along the whole "blue collar - white collar" spectrum, but I guess it fits and makes sense: not much sense in getting all squeeky clean in the morning if you will soon get grungy...and if that's the way one gets during the day, then you certainly don't want to wait until morning to shower. So I guess you can chalk me up in the blue collar column...as least as far as shower time goes! I think my wife appreciates my showering before bedtime as well! B)

I usually go to breakfast first, then come back and take my shower afterwards. I find that I generally avoid any lines that way.

I usually take mine in the evening as well, and as for the lower level Superliner shower, I found it to be smooth and roomy when I used it. I like the pull down shower head since you don't have to fight to get to the water. That and a shave and I'm good to go.

I take them early in the morning, around 5:30. I need to take one very day or else . . . Sometimes I time them for when the train is stopped. Lincoln, Nebraska is a good spot if you are on 6. LOl

I like falling asleep to that clean feeling, but I have fairly oily skin, and even after eight hours in a bed, my hair is a greasy mess and my skin feels like it's covered in a slick slime. As water usage is unmetered up here, if I've had a particularly grimy day, I'll take a shower at night...and then another one in the morning! (I hate starting my day feeling like a sweaty, greasy mess.)

Good to know there are real bath towels on board--when I did my quick shower on the CS last month (I had been flying all night after working all day and was a greasy mess), I was surprised at my small towel...

Question: How big are the water tanks on a Superliner sleeper? I was obviously the first person to use the shower, so I wasn't worried about it running out of water, but if 20 people in the sleepers all took showers, would the water run out? Has that ever happened? Seems like 20 five-minute showers (and some of those probably being a lot longer than 5 minutes!) would use more water than a Superliner could carry!

Last edited by a moderator:
I take my showers at night, since going to bed with a day's worth of filth seems a bit disgusting to me, rather like the concept of a bath relative to a shower. Given the wait I sometimes have to endure for the common shower in the sleepers in the evenings, I am sure I am not the only one with this habbit.

As to Bill Haithcoat's observations, my own 63 years on this planet shows that showers and bathtubs are relatively new in their abundance. I can't recall having our own shower or bathtub at home until I was 12 years old; the mechanism among the non-wealthy was to share a bathroom with three other households in an apatment bulding, and party line phones were common until the mid-1950s.

Americans used to do lots more sharing and cooperating than we do these days.

I take my showers at night, since going to bed with a day's worth of filth seems a bit disgusting to me, rather like the concept of a bath relative to a shower. Given the wait I sometimes have to endure for the common shower in the sleepers in the evenings, I am sure I am not the only one with this habbit.
As to Bill Haithcoat's observations, my own 63 years on this planet shows that showers and bathtubs are relatively new in their abundance. I can't recall having our own shower or bathtub at home until I was 12 years old; the mechanism among the non-wealthy was to share a bathroom with three other households in an apatment bulding, and party line phones were common until the mid-1950s.

Party line phones? Now that brings back some memories. We never lived in an apartment or had to to share showers, but we did indeed have "party lines"---and you could listen in....etc,etc great fun! Would not want that back, however.

I have a son in law who lives in a well to do part of Indianapolis and 5-6 families have purchased a nice riding lawn mower and share it for grass cutting. The rule is, when you are done, fill the gas tank, and let all the others know you are done with it so the next guy can use it. It has worked out very well. Why should every house on the block have a lawn mower when they are seldom used? Of course, where I live, my other son in lawn comes and cuts my grass and I cook out for him and his family in return.

I can't stand not taking a shower. I usually take mine at 1:30-2:30 AM, as there's never any line waiting to get into the shower then. Working graveyard all these years does have a few advantages, being awake at that those hours when it comes to taking a shower on the train is one of them. ;) I couldn't stand going the day without a shower. I just feel gross and slimy all over if I don't.

We're ones to take showers int he evening as well, and on the Empire Builder last September, we used it twice each way on our trip, usually late in the evening, and we nver had to wait. it did take a bit to figure out, and as one poster mentinoed, soemtimes the shower door jammed, as it did for my wife, but luckily I was inside the dressing room at the time...yes, quite cramped, and the water prssure wasn't the greatest, but we felt clean and refreashed and ready for bed ocne we had teh fays sweat and grime washed off.

Also, the shower does come in handy after joining the mile-wide club.... :)

...yes, quite cramped, and the water prssure wasn't the greatest...
I was actually quite impressed with the water pressure and size. I would have expected a lot smaller compartment and a lot less water flow. (Mine was on a Superliner, however--maybe the ones in Viewliners are smaller and have less pressure.)

Now, sometimes the showers are broken. The way they typically operate in a Superliner (I don't know if VL are the same), you set the temp and push a time delay button. Unfortunately, sometimes the buttons stay stuck on or off and sometimes when the water flow works, the head may be broken off the hose. Just check these few things before 'committing' to the shower.

Strange, because on my Superliner, it wasn't a time-delay button but rather a standard shower knob/temperature valve. I could (and did) leave the water running for as long as I wanted.

Based on the car's trucks but also the interior condition, I'm pretty sure mine was a Superliner I that had been refurbished, though. I didn't look at the shower on my way back south, though, which, I believe, was a Superliner II.

Shower on our SWC was older model as was the Superliner 2 car but water was hot and towels were large. Showers on the Coast Starlight and EB were Refurbished SL 1, large changing area, nicer shower, did have the time activated button, which was o.k. Yes, need to have the morning shower before partaking in the Railroad French Toast. It is true we have hardly ever had to wait. Bedroom people use their own and several showered in the evening. Also true that many people in sleepers were just traveling on a less than 24 hour route and probably did not need to shower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back