How can I find out about CZ running?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sutton

I've got to make a decision about whether to give up hoping the CZ will be running CHI-DEN this Sat. I don't want to fly but can't wait til the last minute. Does anyone out there have any idea (those of you who keep up with the freight guys and seem to know everything that's happening in the world of trains) when the trains will be running? Is the flooding still so bad that there's no way it'll happen for a week or more? Or are they possibly going to be able to run this weekend? Seems to me that someone at Amtrak or the freights ought to have some idea from someone at location in Iowa whether or not the tracks or visible or not. :)

Thanks for any advice

I've got to make a decision about whether to give up hoping the CZ will be running CHI-DEN this Sat. I don't want to fly but can't wait til the last minute. Does anyone out there have any idea (those of you who keep up with the freight guys and seem to know everything that's happening in the world of trains) when the trains will be running? Is the flooding still so bad that there's no way it'll happen for a week or more? Or are they possibly going to be able to run this weekend? Seems to me that someone at Amtrak or the freights ought to have some idea from someone at location in Iowa whether or not the tracks or visible or not. :) Thanks for any advice
At this point no one can be sure. I know the Mississippi River is still over the BNSF tracks at Burlington, Iowa by at least a foot. The river is supposed to crest tonight after midnight, and slowly recede. I am not sure if BRL was the only trouble spot between CHI and Den. I did heard some railroad bridges were wipped out by floods, I can't say if they were on possible detour routes for the CZ or not.

Have you tried talking to an agent at AMTRAK? I think I would have alternate plans for this next weekend. Good luck!

GregL

Thanks, Greg. It does seem unlikely that the trains will run this weekend. I just wish that if there was big damage to bridges/tracks, they'd just say so now; they must have some idea. Also, an agent just told me that the train was running to/from Omaha. Do you know if that's true?

I've got to make a decision about whether to give up hoping the CZ will be running CHI-DEN this Sat. I don't want to fly but can't wait til the last minute. Does anyone out there have any idea (those of you who keep up with the freight guys and seem to know everything that's happening in the world of trains) when the trains will be running? Is the flooding still so bad that there's no way it'll happen for a week or more? Or are they possibly going to be able to run this weekend? Seems to me that someone at Amtrak or the freights ought to have some idea from someone at location in Iowa whether or not the tracks or visible or not. :) Thanks for any advice
At this point no one can be sure. I know the Mississippi River is still over the BNSF tracks at Burlington, Iowa by at least a foot. The river is supposed to crest tonight after midnight, and slowly recede. I am not sure if BRL was the only trouble spot between CHI and Den. I did heard some railroad bridges were wipped out by floods, I can't say if they were on possible detour routes for the CZ or not.

Have you tried talking to an agent at AMTRAK? I think I would have alternate plans for this next weekend. Good luck!

GregL

I was scheduled to go RNO-CHI next Friday and I gave it up and booked my family to fly. I'm pretty sad because it would have been our first long distance train adventure. I don't know much about how the trains run but it seemed to me there could be damage under the water that would slow things down. Also, I was worried that if the freight lines got behind it could make for long delays. The bottom line is that I didn't want to get stuck at the last minute trying to find alternatives.

I booked on Priceline and got a fare that I think is a great last minute deal.

Mark

We were supposed to be boarding in LNK on June 25th to CHI, we are now booking refundable airline tickets on SWA. If we can take the train we will. If its a bus, we will pass! We purchased only 1 way tickets hoping that if we return from DC that things will be back on track again. A close friend of mine is performing at the Taste of Chicago Festival so we will be able to see his show if we fly. He tours the world and played a house concert at my house in 2004 and 2005. So that will be a bonus but I don't want to fly at all! My question is this: Our trip is being paid by AGR points, are we out of luck if they offer us a bus? Can we write Amtrak and at least ask for small amount of points back? When we were booking this trip, a bus was not what we were wanting to use our points for. I understand why with the flooding, but will this be refundable? Not all the points by any means, just maybe a 1/4 of the points since this is 1/4 of the trip. Thanks!

Al,

Since you booked a two zone award from LNK to NYP and CHI to NYP is still a two zone award, there will be no refund of points should you decide to fly on your own. If Amtrak were to cancel on your, then it might and I stress might, be possible that they would give you some compensation. But they surely don't have to.

On the other hand, one good thing about all of that is, the fact that you won't have to send in those CZ tickets unless Amtrak does decide to offer you some compensation. You'll just be able to throw them away if you don't ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back