Hotel Close to OKC Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, I am flexible with the choice of days to do this trip, anyone doing it anytime this month or next? I would be glad to have some like-minded company!

Look at post #5 in this thread. Bricktown conference center is a possibility for a single traveler (and now I hear it is not terribly bad for couples) that has a free shuttle bus to and from Amtrak station and the Bricktown area. Trip Advisor rates it fairly well for the past few months, before that not so good. Rates as low as 59 bucks.

My lady friend and I are going on Labor Day weekend.
Thanks for your replies. It seems the Bricktown conference center would work out to be the best option for me since they apparently also provide a shuttle to and from the Amtrak station. Now leaving the accommodation part aside, can someone provide me with some train info, such as these-

* What is the maximum speed the Heartland Flyer does and usually in which section?

* Is the entire route from Fort Worth to Oklahoma a single line or double line?

* I believe the train has two different types of Superliner cars (normal coach and coach with cafe), which one is more fun to ride in? Or are both types exactly identical in terms of seats, window size etc?

* What are the scenic, and interesting from a rail-fan point of view, things to look out for?

* Anything interesting to try out from the cafe?

Sorry if some of these questions sound naive, this is going to be my first trip on an Amtrak outside of Northeast Regionals a couple of times.

Also those of you travelling on Labor Day weekend, if you see a rather young south Asian guy clicking away photos, do stop by to say Hi!
Are you still going? If so, we will see you tomorrow!
Hey sorry I did not see this thread earlier. No, I did not do the Flyer trip but in a last minute decision, decided to rather do a roundtrip to San Antonio on the Texas Eagle. Here is the trip report. Thanks for asking though, hopefully someday we'll be on a trip together
smile.gif

We were in OKC for the three day weekend, and I walked over to the station on Monday morning to look over the train. Consist looked to be one P42, a coach with food service on lower level, a regular coach, Cross Country Cafe (Diner) and a fourth coach, followed by another P42. Train was set in push/pull mode. Seemed to be pretty good traffic on the train, I was there about a half hour before departure and there was a steady stream of folks showing up for the train. The station is pretty nice, looks a little rough from the exterior but the inside is nice, and the platform is well set up. Decent (paid - $6/day) parking near the station. It seemed that both engines were fired up, I would have thought one engine would have covered the power requirements. Maybe using one for HEP and the other for propulsion? Reading the threads above, does the train typically not have a diner, just the coach/lounge car?

I realize this thread is old but no point in starting a new one since this is the subject I'm interested in.

I'm going to OKC next month and based on their proximities to the station, I'm either booking with Courtyard or Renaissance (leaning toward Courtyard). I'm wondering if anyone has stayed at either and if so, what your opinion is. Is it safe to walk to either of them that time of night?

Also, can anyone tell me if it's a bad idea to leave my car at the station in GLE overnight. I'll be back the next morning, train gets in about 11... thanks

I've stayed in the Courtyard and its fine, just like all Courtyards are. I haven't stayed at the Renaissance, but I'd just go with the best price since they both should be fine!

Walking from the Station to the Hotel should be no problem, downtown OKC has really been fixed up and is a tourist Mecca now.

Can't advise on the parking situation in GLE.

Thank you! That helps. Although I can hardly imagine OKC as a tourist mecca - I guess I'll see!

OKC has a nice riverwalk now and they are building a streetcar line. There are a ton of restaurants there. I've stayed at the Courtyard Marriott many times, and it's literally across the street. The Renaissance is obviously nicer if want to go with that, but I really like how the rooms are at the Courtyard. Good breakfast too.

I realize this thread is old but no point in starting a new one since this is the subject I'm interested in.I'm going to OKC next month and based on their proximities to the station, I'm either booking with Courtyard or Renaissance (leaning toward Courtyard). I'm wondering if anyone has stayed at either and if so, what your opinion is. Is it safe to walk to either of them that time of night?Also, can anyone tell me if it's a bad idea to leave my car at the station in GLE overnight. I'll be back the next morning, train gets in about 11... thanks
I have stayed at Renaissance and it was great! Loved it. If you talk with the folks at Gainesville Printing, across from GLE station, they might let you leave your car in their lot. Good folks there.

Last edited by a moderator:
OKC has not-too-bad Thunder Basketball in the Chesapeake Arena right across from the station and if you are here in the Summer, you may catch an OKC Dodgers baseball game (Triple A, which is one step below the Bigs) at a very nice stadium just a few steps the other way. Go a few more blocks east and you hit Bass Pro which itself is a tourist attraction.

OKC has a nice riverwalk now and they are building a streetcar line. There are a ton of restaurants there. I've stayed at the Courtyard Marriott many times, and it's literally across the street. The Renaissance is obviously nicer if want to go with that, but I really like how the rooms are at the Courtyard. Good breakfast too.
Wow, I didn't realize the station was that close to the river - if we have time I'll definitely check it out, thanks for the heads up.

I'm leaning towards Courtyards because it's right there - and because I like being that close to the tracks.

I have stayed at Renaissance and it was great! Loved it. If you talk with the folks at Gainesville Printing, across from GLE station, they might let you leave your car in their lot. Good folks there.
Thanks for the reply and especially the info about the print shop!! I'll go over and ask them as soon as we get in to GLE.

Back