Horseshoe Curve PA / WB Pennsylvanian

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uz1

Train Attendant
I'm looking at google maps. It would seem that for the Westbound Pennsylvanian (train 43), the side of the train you want to be on is the left, in order to see the reserviors / views.

My question is how long from when the train leaves Altoona station does the train start to make the incline, and then how long does it take to the curve?

I'm trying to gauge how much video do I need to plan to take? I don't need to take video of trees, however if you have a nice progression from the town of Altoona up through the curve and say it's 10 minutes, I would consider a taking a nice video of that.

Any thoughts?

As you leave Altoona you will pass some old industrial areas, what we railfans call The Brickyard and then start your climb up the mountain. You will pass an old signal tower and then gradually go through heavily wooded areas until it opens up at The Curve. If you have the railfan window at the rear of the train, you can get good shots along the way. Business class car was at the rear of the train. Not sure if it still is? Takes 15-20 minutes to reach the curve if there are no slowdowns.

You will definitely need to be looking out the left or south side of the train to see the locomotive and curve park area but the train will be going so fast that it will pass rather quickly. They have cut some trees along the rails to the west of the curve so that viewing is better.

Back