Honeymoon on the CZ to Emeryville

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wyo_Rider

As the title suggest we are taking a our honeymoon from Denver to Emeryville and looking for any and all helpful info. I have road the empire builder and the cascades so its not my first trip, but its hers. Also obviously first on the CZ. Looking for tips on places to park in Denver, best side for vies on CZ, things to do in bay area, place to stay in bay area, whether the public transportation is good and or accesable, and things to do. And of course anything else you may want to add, thanks for your help in advance. We are going from the 12-18th of November.

Congratulations! I don't know about the parking at DEN, but I have a few suggestions for the Bay Area.

San Francisco - Fisherman's wharf, of course. It's a bit touristy for me, but you might enjoy it.

San Francisco - Chinatown.

San Jose - Winchester Mystery House - pretty cool!

Mountain View - Computer History Museum - for the nerd in all of us.

Public transportation,BART, is readily available. I visit my son in the area every year so I'll be interested to see what else is recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
As the title suggest we are taking a our honeymoon from Denver to Emeryville and looking for any and all helpful info. I have road the empire builder and the cascades so its not my first trip, but its hers. Also obviously first on the CZ. Looking for tips on places to park in Denver, best side for vies on CZ, things to do in bay area, place to stay in bay area, whether the public transportation is good and or accesable, and things to do. And of course anything else you may want to add, thanks for your help in advance. We are going from the 12-18th of November.
:hi: Welcome! Congrats, two of our members took their honeymoon on the Western trains this past year, what an excellent idea and congrats on having a bride thats willing to share this wonderful trip! ;) Theres tons of info on this sight, please read through the old threads, theres plenty, new,recent and old that give you some idea, theres even a thread going right now on the Bay Area! I cant help with Denver but the CZ is THE scnery train in the US and yoiu will have snow in the mountains which only enhances this fantastic route!

There are lots of folks here that live in,travel to/through the Bay area, please ask any questions you may have, use Google to look up what you can! If I may suggest, staying in San Francisco itself since this is a honeymoon would perhaps be best but there are lots on nice hotels on the water in Emeryyville/Oakland and the ferry and Amtrak thru way bus runs across the Bay Bridge from both stations to the stops in san Francisco! If it wasnt Nov. I d suggest going up to the Napa/Sonoma valleys but it will be damp and cool by then and IINM the grape harvest will be over! There is so much stuff to do in the bay Area you couldnt do it all in two lifetimes, it can get pricey in the tourist areas but deals can be made, it's also not as crowded as during the summer by the world wide tourists!

Im not a singer but I hear "I Left My heart in San Francisco"playing in the background! :wub: Excellent plan!

Congratulations! I don't know about the parking at DEN, but I have a few suggestions for the Bay Area.

San Francisco - Fisherman's wharf, of course. It's a bit touristy for me, but you might enjoy it.

San Francisco - Chinatown.

San Jose - Winchester Mystery House - pretty cool!

Mountain View - Computer History Museum - for the nerd in all of us.

Public transportation,BART, is readily available. I visit my son in the area every year so I'll be interested to see what else is recommended.
I would also say Ghirardelli Square - chocolate, sourdough bread, shopping, beautiful outdoor area.

Palace of the Fine Arts (which you will recognize from many movies)

Fort Point - it's below the Golden Gate Bridge - great views watching the ships pass through the Golden Gate.

If you do rent a car, drive over the Golden Gate and take the 2nd exit - Alexander Avenue - and make a left to cross under the freeway. Stay on that road to climb up, up, up for some spectacular views of the Golden Gate, San Francisco, and if it's a clear day, you'll be able to see all the way across the bay. Lots of places to pull over and take pictures.

For the train, you want to be on the right side of the train (right side when facing the engine from inside the train) - all the views are on that side except for one canyon sometime past Granby. And that's a gorgeous canyon, so if you're in a roomette, make friends with someone on the left side of the train so you can see it! Or you might want to try going straight to the Sightseer Lounge ASAP on the train to see if you can get seats, although if you have a sleeper on the right side, that works, too.

Thanks for the responces so far, we are gonna try to take in a 49ers game while we are out there too, so far looks like renting a car wont be possible till monday, so we may rent a car from monday till weds? I forgot to mention, not that its of much consiquence we are in car 0531 and 0631 in bedroom E so its my understanding we will be in the middle of the car closet to the dining car, and the lounge would be just on the other side of the diner?

Mazel Tov!

While it may not be 'romantic', don't forget about Alcatraz, it's a great tour and a nice boat ride out to the island as well.

SF has one of the best public transportation systems in the country, you can easily forego a car if you're planning to stay and play in the City.

Looking for tips on places to park in Denver,...
A recent thread mentioned that parking at the station is $17/day. I don't know where in the Denver area you are coming from; but if you are near a light station, you could park there and take it into Union Station. Our son lives near the University station and always picks us up and drops us off there.

A tip: there is an underground walkway between the end of the LR and the ramp up Union Station. If you are carrying your luggage on board, as opposed to checking it, one of you could sit with the luggage on the pew next to the ramp up to the train while the other gets in the (sleeping car) line in the station to have the tickets pulled. This way you don't have to schlep the luggage up to the station, back down, and then up the ramp to the train.

Once upon a time, the nervous nelly rent-a-cop guarding the ramp to the train wouldn't let us sit on the pews. But it hasn't been a problems the last few times we boarded in Denver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back