Hold a Roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahZ

Quality Control
I read a topic once in which a member was able to "hold" a room, pending payment. I can't remember how, or for how long. I think it was 24 hours or three days... something short. The agent told him she'd release the room if it wasn't paid for within that timeframe.

I can't find the thread, though.

Is this possible/common? There's one roomette left on the TE, down from four this morning (!!!), and I'm worried it'll get snatched before I get my next paycheck.

One can call Amtrak to make an unpaid reservation. The length of time varries depending on the service and how far away the date of travel is. But in no case is one allowed more than 7 days before the reservation auto-cancels.

Ok. I'll try it tomorrow. I get paid next Thursday, so I'll see if I can charm the agent. :) Thank you.

Most of the time, I've been given 7 days to purchase on LD trains like the Empire Builder and Coast Starlight. I almost always make the reservation hold, then finalize the rest of the plans, then pay for it. When the agent asks you to pay, just tell them you'd like to hold it, and most of the time they'll give you 7 days to purchase, at least on the Western LDs if you are fairly far out from departure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you thank you thank you! I love you guys! :wub:

I called Amtrak and spoke with an extremely friendly and helpful agent named Alma. She grabbed the last roomette on the outbound trip (phew!) and a roomette on the inbound trip and said the system will hold them until my date of travel (Nov 30). Wow! They didn't need a card to hold it either. I set a reminder on my phone to call them and pay for the rooms next Thursday.

I also told her she'd made my entire month and that she was my favorite person today. She laughed at that. :) I was so stressed about having to ride in Coach. (No offense meant to Coach riders; I simply can't sleep sitting up and don't like sitting next to strangers for more than a few hours because it's awkward.)

I'm seriously bouncing in my chair right now. I'm so happy! Thanks again! :)

Sarah, your signature 'ticker' inspired me to add one also. Are you still spending Christmas in ABQ via SWC [i seem to remember we're traveling the same route just a day apart] or is Dallas the new destination? Wish you a good trip, whichever.. and kudos for snagging a roomette on TE!

We're still going to ABQ for Christmas. Dallas is a business trip. :)

Also, this should be a really interesting trip. I've never been to TX, and I've never been on the TE. What really adds to that, though, is that she booked me into the transdorm on the outbound trip, and a lower level roomette on the inbound trip. I've never slept in the transdorm or on the lower level before. My room is next to the family bedroom, but that doesn't concern me. I have noise-canceling headphones I can use if the kids get rowdy. ;)

Also, I checked the consist, and I'm in the sleeper on the rear of the train on the way home. Railfan window! :)

Also, this should be a really interesting trip. I've never been to TX, and I've never been on the TE. What really adds to that, though, is that she booked me into the transdorm on the outbound trip, and a lower level roomette on the inbound trip. I've never slept in the transdorm or on the lower level before. My room is next to the family bedroom, but that doesn't concern me. I have noise-canceling headphones I can use if the kids get rowdy. ;)

Also, I checked the consist, and I'm in the sleeper on the rear of the train on the way home. Railfan window! :)
:) Nice Trip on My Home Train!! Hope you get a Good Crew, some are Great and others are Average to Poor on this RouteI

I wouldn't be Positive about being on the Rear of #22/#422 on the Way North Sarah! The Eagles have resumed their "Winter" Configuration and the Switching in SAS is done the way it used to be, first the Sunset/Eagle has the Coach and Sleeper Cut Out, then when the Eagle/Sunset Arrives, they Switch it into the Consist One Car at a Time with the Revenue Sleeper on #22/#422 (only One on the Eagle)put behind the Trans Dorm before it Leaves for CHI! #21/#421 is a different story with the #421 Sleeper and Coach being on the Rear of #1 Heading for LAX from SAS!!

On our Shorter Way home from CHI we were on the Bottom Level on #2 from LAX-ELP (we switched to the #422 Sleeper in ELP which was Switched on the Front after we got to SAS i)and the Ride was Smooth and I Slept Better than I usually do "Up Top"! Maybe you'll get Lucky and get Switched to the End of the Train??

Enjoy DFW, We Look Forward to your Trip Report!!

Oh, I must have misunderstood the consist. I looked up the TE consist in the dedicated sticky thread, but it was a little confusing.

I don't mind being up front. I like the sound of the horn. :)

That train has the CCC "diner", right? Does it still have a SSL?

Here are my car numbers:

CHI to DAL #22: Car 2132 (transdorm, given the roomette #. As I understand it, the transdorm is right behind the engine and not separate by a baggage car, yes?

DAL to CHI #422: Car 2230. She made a point of noting that I'm on #422, not #22.

I don't mind walking a mile to the diner or SSL, but is this the train where the coaches sometimes end up between the sleepers and the diner?

Here are my car numbers:

CHI to DAL #22: Car 2132 (transdorm, given the roomette #. As I understand it, the transdorm is right behind the engine and not separate by a baggage car, yes?

DAL to CHI #422: Car 2230. She made a point of noting that I'm on #422, not #22.

I don't mind walking a mile to the diner or SSL, but is this the train where the coaches sometimes end up between the sleepers and the diner?
I think you mean #21 CHI-DAL!!! Car 2132 Is the Transdorm since there is No Baggage Car on the Eagle (they use a Coach/Bag Car)you will be behing the Single Engine!!! (This Train needs 2 Engines!!!) The Attendant for the Revenue Sleeper or a Coach will also be your SCA, Ive enjoyed my Trips in the Transdorm on this Route, you know all the Pluses and Minuses from Posts on this Site!

Yes, the LAX-CHI Sleeper and Coach are #422! #2230 is the Number of the regular #22 Revenue Sleeper so you probably will be on the Front between the Diner (CCC) and the Transdorm on thw way from DAL-CHI! Since Lunch ends when the train gets to FTW, you will need to eat before you Boiard the Train, Cindies Deli is a good Spot since its Right Beside Union Station! Diner Reservations will be taken when the Train Leaves Dallas, I suggest you get an Early Rez since this will be the 3rd Day for this Train and they start Running out of the "Good Stuff" on the way Back to CHI! (You'll have Breakfast around STL and a "Quickie" Lunch about 11AM on the way into CHI!!)

Let me know if you have any More Questions about the Eagles, I probably have ridden it more than Lots of the Crew! ^_^

Thanks, Jim!

And, yes, I meant #21 out of CHI. Oops. :p

A lot of people have recommended that deli. I'm definitely going to eat there when I arrive. I won't have time before I leave that Friday.

Thanks, Jim!

And, yes, I meant #21 out of CHI. Oops. :p

A lot of people have recommended that deli. I'm definitely going to eat there when I arrive. I won't have time before I leave that Friday.
:hi: Forgot one: Usually there is a SSL but a Couple of Times a Week the Eagle/CONO Consists come out of CHI with Another CCC as a Replacement! :( It's not the Same!, Hope you get "Good" Equipment along with a Good Crew!(Miss Polly now Works the Zephyr!) Shine up your Boots, when you come to Texas (Ft. Worth is more Texas than Dallas!)you're in "Another Country! ^_^ "

I don't have cowboy boots. My (southern) boyfriend says I'm as Yankee as they come. I can't eat jalapenos, and some BBQ sauce is too spicy for me. He calls my chili "Gringo Chili". ;)

He lived near Houston when he was a kid, so he's been giving me some geography and history lessons.

I don't have cowboy boots. My (southern) boyfriend says I'm as Yankee as they come. I can't eat jalapenos, and some BBQ sauce is too spicy for me. He calls my chili "Gringo Chili". ;)

He lived near Houston when he was a kid, so he's been giving me some geography and history lessons.
I don't have any Boots either, they actually Hurt your Feet if not Properly Fit and broken in Right! And I don't eat Jalapenos either and Bar-B-Q Sauce Ruins Good Smoked Meat! ;) Long as you Don't put Beans in your Chili you're OK, Beans in Chili IS a Yankee Thing! :giggle: (No Cowboy Hat, Horse, Ranch or Oil Well either, Guess I'm just a Poor City Boy who was "Ruined" by living in the NE So Long! :giggle:

You do have one Attritbute that will help you fit right in, You're Friendly!!! ;)

Have fun, Sarah!

I love the TE and Dallas is a great city.

I hope you'll have some time to explore it.

I've always had western boots and I'm a EYEtalian, Chicago city girl.

Have always loved hot and spicy too - how'd that happen?

We took the TE from CHI to San Antonio in August, it was a lot of fun. We'd never been to Texas before, so when we stopped in Dallas, we ran across to Founders Grill (next to Cindies) and had our picture taken drinking a Lone Star beer. Wish we'd had the time or inclination to go over to Dealey plaza, but were afraid we'd get left behind. Seeing it on TV all this month, I regret being a block away and missing it.

We were in the transdorm on the way down, and it was perfectly fine. Although the engineer had a really drawn out, obnoxious rhythm to his whistle blowing, like he was trying to be "expressive". You got used to it after a while, it actually was kind of funny.

I'd go back to San Antonio in a second, we had a great time. Then we rented a car, drove to Austin for two days, and caught the Eagle back from there.

I've heard the transdorm is usually pretty quiet since it's mostly a crew car and holds very few revenue passengers. That would be great. :) I like the sound of the horn - it actually puts me to sleep - so that's not a concern.

Dealey Plaza is on the list, for sure. I have some time to head over there before I get my rental car.

Taking the TE from Maricopa AZ to Bloomington-Normal Illinois in early January. THIS TIME, I purchased a Roomette. last January I took this same exact trip in coach. 51+ hours was a bit too long in Coach. Even though I am 6'5" and 320, a Roomette is still comfortable, plus my CPAP machine wont disturb those around me. People ask me-WHY do you sit on a train for over 51 hours when you can fly home in 4-5? I don't like to be cramped into a seat SOOO tight that my legs go numb!

Taking the TE from Maricopa AZ to Bloomington-Normal Illinois in early January. THIS TIME, I purchased a Roomette. last January I took this same exact trip in coach. 51+ hours was a bit too long in Coach. Even though I am 6'5" and 320, a Roomette is still comfortable, plus my CPAP machine wont disturb those around me. People ask me-WHY do you sit on a train for over 51 hours when you can fly home in 4-5? I don't like to be cramped into a seat SOOO tight that my legs go numb!
:hi: Nice Trip! Kick Back and Leave the Driving to Amtrak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back