Higher menu prices.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never understood the purpose of the paper slip myself...
It's a reminder. I've frequently found my wife and myself discussing "hmm... should we do the 6:00 or 6:30", then making the reservation, then two hours later having a similar discussion, "hmm... did we ask for the 6:00 or 6:30". If they give out slips of paper, it keeps the forgetful from having to bother the attendant or the diner personal by asking later. Or, it keeps people from misremembering and going down at the wrong time potentially skewing the service load in the diner.

Nowadays, if they didn't give me a slip, I would just tell my phone, "Siri, remind me to eat dinner at 6:00", so not really a big deal. But, I'm sure the small effort they make in handing out slips of paper pays off in having fewer confused people.

On several LD Trips this year the LSA Didn't give out Rez Slips when making the Rounds, just jotted them down on a Piece of Paper and told us "Be sure and Listen for the PA Announcment as a Reminder that your Dinner Rez is for___PM!!" I can count on One Hand the Number of Times I've Actually Been Asked for the Rez Slip when Entering the Diner!

You're also given a slip of paper with your reservation time written on it.
Even with or without the slip of paper, I know my reservation time is for 6pm. I know how to tell time, and therefore, know without any help, when it is 6pm, and with that knowledge, as with any land restaurant, plan to present myself at 6pm for seating.

However, my point is that no where and no how, is it explained to a (new? first time?) sleeper passenger that their 6pm reservation isn't really for 6pm. That is for whenever the LSA announces that he/she is starting to sit, the 6pm seating.

Possibly, a better and less confusing system would be to tell sleeper passengers that they are assigned to "dinner group 7G3-3KK2", and they should only head for the dinning car when they hear an announcement that they seating group 7G3-3KK2.

Possibly, a better and less confusing system would be to tell sleeper passengers that they are assigned to "dinner group 7G3-3KK2", and they should only head for the dinning car when they hear an announcement that they seating group 7G3-3KK2.
Be careful what you ask for. You may get it!

I on the LSL #49 got a dining car attendant who gave out reservations and simply told me to come at the proper time at 8:00pm (first seating after ALB for me) and he wouldn't make any announcements. The combining of the train in ALB took an extra half hour-45 minutes and we left a half hour-45 mintes late. I went to the diner at 8:00pm as told, sat down and soon a stampede of passengers, the entire Boston sleeper came into the car. I was seated with a couple who were long-time Amtrak riders and they said there attendant was terrible doing an awful job about telling them about dinner, ect. Eventually the 8:30pm, 9:00pm reservations came and the diner was full and those passengers were told to form a line along the cooking area some clearly standing for upwards of two hours waiting for dinner. I had a lovely meal with interesting company but none of us could believe the scene the late engine change had caused.

The whole dining car just sounds like too much of a pain in the rear.

I have so much anxiety from reading all this, standing in the dining car, LSA's running around barking at diners, going for your reservation at 6pm only to wait in the lounge car for an hour waiting for your table. (why would I want to sit in the lounge car for an hour, when I can be in my room, watching my belongings, and relaxing. )

It sounds like I am either going to get an SCA who will allow me to take my meals in my room, or I will be SOL for food for 2 days.

Between having to pack up my laptop, ipad, and other valuables and hauling them to the diner, dealing with a swamp of people.

Sorry but I make small talk, with customers for a living 16 hours a day 7 days a week. When I am on vacation, I want to enjoy my peace, and the view from the window. If I wanted to socialize and deal with crowds, I would go to a singles resort.

I guess if I get a surly SCA, and a word with the conductor will not remedy the situation, I will just go 2 days without food, and will be demanding a refund of a majority of my sleeper costs.

Edit, add - Because this whole dining room fiasco just sounds like a personal panic attack waiting to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have so much anxiety from reading all this, standing in the dining car, LSA's running around barking at diners, going for your reservation at 6pm only to wait in the lounge car for an hour waiting for your table. (why would I want to sit in the lounge car for an hour, when I can be in my room, watching my belongings, and relaxing. )

It sounds like I am either going to get an SCA who will allow me to take my meals in my room, or I will be SOL for food for 2 days.

Between having to pack up my laptop, ipad, and other valuables and hauling them to the diner, dealing with a swamp of people.

Sorry but I make small talk, with customers for a living 16 hours a day 7 days a week. When I am on vacation, I want to enjoy my peace, and the view from the window. If I wanted to socialize and deal with crowds, I would go to a singles resort.

I guess if I get a surly SCA, and a word with the conductor will not remedy the situation, I will just go 2 days without food, and will be demanding a refund of a majority of my sleeper costs.

Edit, add - Because this whole dining room fiasco just sounds like a personal panic attack waiting to happen.
You are only hearing about a few incidents. I personally have not had any problems with the diner situation. Granted I've only been on 3 LD trains.

It's the same with flying. Some people will refuse to fly because of 1 crash. How many planes are taking off and landing in one day, heck, in one hour, but because 1 plane crashed, these people refuse to fly.

If your SCA doesn't bring your meal to your room (and I have no problem with you eating in your room), then at least try the diner once. If you have a bad experience, then avoid it the rest of the trip if you want.

Also, remember, when people post, they're posting from their viewpoint of the situcaton which could be very different from another's viewpoint.

Like a great many other things around here, things are blown wildly out of proportion.

Try the diner, it'll be fine.

Even with or without the slip of paper, I know my reservation time is for 6pm. I know how to tell time, and therefore, know without any help, when it is 6pm, and with that knowledge, as with any land restaurant, plan to present myself at 6pm for seating.
Good for you. Others, as you can see earlier in this thread, don't always remember, and some people wanted to know what to do if the PA wasn't working. For those people, the slip of paper is helpful.

Like a great many other things around here, things are blown wildly out of proportion.

Try the diner, it'll be fine.
It just seems like such a complex and confusing process, both for the crew and the passengers. It just seems to me it would be so easy to offer in room service, as an option to a reservation time. It seems some people would prefer to eat in their rooms, but are timid, or unsure of the process. They could cut seating time stress in the dining car, less traffic. Just take orders, load the trays on a cart, and deliver them to the rooms. Those that enjoy the dining car experience would have more time, and a nicer environment.

I have read many positive reviews about the dining car, but the things that they enjoy, conversation, getting to know new people, watching the whole production take place, etc. are not the same things I would enjoy.

Buddy: If your Job requires you to work 16 Hours a Day/7 Days a Week! :eek: . Sounds like you need to start Considering a Career Change! All Work and No Play Soon ruins Your Health! No-one ever says on their Deathbed: "I wish I'd spent More Time @ Work!"

And Don;t Worry, you Won't Starve on a LD Train, Chances are You'll Over Eat and Have the Great Experience of Meeting People from all Walks of Life! ;)

You are only hearing about a few incidents. I personally have not had any problems with the diner situation. Granted I've only been on 3 LD trains.

It's the same with flying. Some people will refuse to fly because of 1 crash. How many planes are taking off and landing in one day, heck, in one hour, but because 1 plane crashed, these people refuse to fly.

If your SCA doesn't bring your meal to your room (and I have no problem with you eating in your room), then at least try the diner once. If you have a bad experience, then avoid it the rest of the trip if you want.

Also, remember, when people post, they're posting from their viewpoint of the situcaton which could be very different from another's viewpoint.
I am hoping that the train will be fairly empty, so the diner wont be very crowded.

I have viewed the 360 tours that are posted here, at length. Thank you to whomever made those, they were instrumental in my final decision to book the trip.

On the tour, the dining car was empty, with just a few people scattered about. When I look at the number of booths, and start adding 4 people to each table, then tables on both sides, and 3 workers walking around, and, I don't think I could handle it. If they start crowding in waiting people to stand, and I would have to excuse myself back to anywhere with more breathing room.

I have been on superliners before, and I still cant picture that many booths on the upper level of a car. (I assume the long distance superliners are the same as the capital corridor superliners in upper deck size)

Buddy: If your Job requires you to work 16 Hours a Day/7 Days a Week! :eek: . Sounds like you need to start Considering a Career Change! All Work and No Play Soon ruins Your Health! No-one ever says on their Deathbed: "I wish I'd spent More Time @ Work!"

And Don;t Worry, you Won't Starve on a LD Train, Chances are You'll Over Eat and Have the Great Experience of Meeting People from all Walks of Life! ;)
My boss is kind of a slave driver, and being self employed, the only way I could quit, would probably require an exorcism. :giggle:

In room service is an option already.

There's really nothing complex about it. For breakfast and lunch (usually) there are no reservations - walk in, take a seat and eat. If they're full, they'll put you on a list and let you know when a table is going to be ready, just like a regular restaurant.

For lunch (sometimes) and dinner where there are reservations, you'll make one before mealtime starts. Go to the diner at the allotted time and enjoy. If they're not ready, they'll ask you to wait a little bit. If they're really in the weeds, they might make an announcement to wait until you're called to the diner so that they can clear people out.

No big deal.

Buddy, it's really just like any other restaurant. If they're busy, they'll call people over the PA by name (you give it to them when you make your reservation). It's just like dining out at home. We just hang out in our roomette until they call either, "All 6:00 dinner reservations, please come to the diner," or, "Last Name, party of two". When we get to the diner, one of the servers confirms our number and then shows us where to sit, just like a host.

We always travel over Thanksgiving and Christmas, and while I've seen the diner full at dinner time, it's never enough to make me feel like I'm going to lose my mind. I've been in restaurants that were more hectic. Plus, not every table has four people. Some of them stay empty, and some only have 2-3 people. If you're worried about crowds, ask the LSA to give you one of the empty time slots instead of the ones that are already 50-75% full.

I work in customer service and absolutely cannot stand making small talk with strangers while on vacation because that's what I do all day every day. I want to relax and not put on that face and voice. So, I completely get where you're coming from. Also, my boyfriend has social anxiety, so I'm left to ask/answer all questions so he can stay quiet and wait patiently to go back to our room. I love the diner and get tired of sitting in my room, so I suck it up, but there are times I think it would be really nice to eat in my room. Your SCA should not refuse you this service. If they do, take it up with the conductor.

My boss is kind of a slave driver, and being self employed, the only way I could quit, would probably require an exorcism. :giggle:
I understand, your Boss, You, is an Ulcer Carrier!!! I'm not being Insulting by suggesting you Consider a career Change, No-one, Even Presidents, should be under Pressure 24/7! Life is Too Short to make Work your Life!!!!! (As the Song says: "..it's my Job he'd say, I do it for Pay--I'd just as soon do it and be on my Way-Up to some Paradise, where the Water is Clean and the Air is Nice.." "Hurricane"--Bob Dylan Enjoy the Trip, it Can Cure Your Soul and Make it Whole! ;)

I am in the same situation, customer service. I am looking forward to leaving that hat at home.

I'm looking forward to the food, but just dreading the whole dining process.

I would end up being the awkward or rude guy who just sat staring out the window the whole time anyway.

While I huddle in our roomette 90% of the time, I have come to enjoy the dining process. I enjoy the people and their stories. I can get sensory overload but can count on one hand the less enjoyable meals we've had on Amtrak. Not that we are long-time travelers, but really, I've found the food to be nice and the passengers to also be very personable. Some are on the quiet side and very rarely, irksome. The staff we've encountered have for the most part have been professional. It's just in my nature that if a server is less so that I plow on the sugar... sugar, sugar, sugar. Being uber polite and uber understanding about human beings who are attempting a rough job tends to bring them around the corner and brings out their better nature. Isn't that true for all of us? We sat with a clueless woman who was "ick, ick, ick...blech, blech, blech" to the server. I was mute since I feel it's not polite to roll my eyes at our fellow passengers. We were on the Crescent and had most of our meals by ourselves. It was nice but it there was less connection on that trip. I did sugar the crew up enough that by the last day, I finally got some smiles :)

Again, there are those who only eat in their room and enjoy the trip and I have also utilized that option when my body gave out on a trip. Just my 2 pennnies worth.

As long as my sausage egg mcmuffin doesn't get much more expensive, me and Warren Buffet will be happy. (apparently he has one every morning).
I guess you haven't heard. McD is raising its prices too in their attempt to keep profits raising. As much as 60% more for some items (ie, a McDouble jumping from $1 to $1.69)! They gutted their "dollar menu", leaving only a few token items on it.
Not true in Colorado. I saw close to a dozen items on the dollar menu last week. In fact, I think it was less expensive to purchase a la carte the items in a double cheeseburger meal (#2 on the combo menu in most locations) than to purchase the combo package direct.

On several LD Trips this year the LSA Didn't give out Rez Slips when making the Rounds, just jotted them down on a Piece of Paper and told us "Be sure and Listen for the PA Announcment as a Reminder that your Dinner Rez is for___PM!!" I can count on One Hand the Number of Times I've Actually Been Asked for the Rez Slip when Entering the Diner!
I think the rez slip is a backup so if more people show up for dinner at a specific time seating than there are seats available, the steward could always ask everyone to show their rez slip -- and kick out those who can't produce it, which would likely be considered by any legal body as prima facie evidence that the party did not have a reservation for that particular time.

Buddy, there is no panic in the Dining Car, there is no screaming or shouting, there are no crowds and only neighborly interaction with three other passengers sitting at your table. If you do not wish to socialize, so be it. If you wish to sit alone, ask, all the attendant can do is to tell you no or not possible. do not listen to other persons horror stories. Read everything, before deciding anything! The meal service is NOT a panic attack waiting to happen! Attendants do not yell at passengers. I have never been yelled at. Nor anyone around me.

As far as your valuables go. I have never had a problem leaving anything in my room. I do not leave my items lay for all the world to see and neither should you. If you are insecure about your stuff, I suggest taking a padlock (with key) with you and lock your room when you are not present. There are no locks provided, but you can lock your room manually of you wish. I never have. In fact, I check my laptop and cell phone now. I don't make any calls and do not do any computering. Believe me, I am quite secure in knowing I am not available for anyone. Life is good without the cell phone.

I am in the same situation, customer service. I am looking forward to leaving that hat at home.

I would end up being the awkward or rude guy who just sat staring out the window the whole time anyway.
Buddy,

At amtrak.com if you look at the route guide for each route it says this: 'Sleeping Car Attendant is responsible for providing all service for passengers ticketed in Sleeping car accommodations, including room preparation, luggage service and any assistance necessary to ensure a comfortable journey. Contact your Sleeping car Attendant if you desire drinks before dinner. They will also take your dinner reservations or arrange for your meal to be served in the privacy and comfort of your accommodation'.

When I meet the room attendant I let them know I prefer to eat in my roomette and I've never had a problem doing that! They are already aware that they're bringing meals to people so it isn't a problem at all-they serve meals on every trip. I used to include their tips in with what I give at the end of the trip but realized it made more sense to tip them as we go. I put it on the tray so they get it when they return to pick stuff up. Then they know I understand there are tips involved.

Buddy,

At amtrak.com if you look at the route guide for each route it says this: 'Sleeping Car Attendant is responsible for providing all service for passengers ticketed in Sleeping car accommodations, including room preparation, luggage service and any assistance necessary to ensure a comfortable journey. Contact your Sleeping car Attendant if you desire drinks before dinner. They will also take your dinner reservations or arrange for your meal to be served in the privacy and comfort of your accommodation'.

When I meet the room attendant I let them know I prefer to eat in my roomette and I've never had a problem doing that! They are already aware that they're bringing meals to people so it isn't a problem at all-they serve meals on every trip. I used to include their tips in with what I give at the end of the trip but realized it made more sense to tip them as we go. I put it on the tray so they get it when they return to pick stuff up. Then they know I understand there are tips involved.
Thanks all for the encouragement. I'm not sure I am going to be able to wait until my trip, and hopefully will have the opportunity to do a test run on the train before then. I've been checking daily for a few weeks and it looks like on the CZ this time of year, low buckets are readily available day of travel.

I feel like I need a disclaimer to my rediculous dining car story. That was a one time incident I the LSL, normally things are much, much more organized!

It is worth noting the bad so that it can be anticipated. If you know what sort of bad behavior or bad practices frequently occur, then you can be prepared to handle it. You are already much better off than the average passenger who could possibly board and have the worst time of their life because they are expecting something you would find on Carnival or Royal Caribbean. Unfortunately, that ain't the case.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. May your journey lie closer to the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back