Hey I ride Greyhound too!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I ran into a young man stuck in PGH in the new bus station at 200P he was going to Indiana PA and he was stuck there till 500am....You think that they would give him a meal ticket or something....Travelers Aid was there but I have no Idea what they would do with him
Awhile back I got off the CZ in SAC at about 3PM and my next train was the CS at about 3AM. Amtrak did not provide me with any food or a place to lie down - but I could sit on a chair in the terminal.

If that is what Amtrak provides, do you really expect a bus line to provide more?

I have done overnight connections at terminals all over the place. The carrier is not responsible for the pain incurred by my masochistic tendencies- or your PGH friends stupidity.

The idea of a Rail/Bus pass comes up again and again...Where I see it is that I often hear German or European Accents in Bus Stations of Eurostudents doing the grand tour

The The Greyhound® North America Discovery Pass seems to be the better deal as it offers more travel to more places and at more times then Amtrak. The European Students are also a tough bunch willing to put up with all sorts of BS that Americans would break down a cry. I guess its part of the "American Experance" as they consider the USA to be a third world country to the the US. Hostels in Europe are not the nice places that the travel guides make them out to be. Often they are crowded and smell of body oder as many Eurotrash frequent these places and the french women who dont shave there armpitts :ph34r: either leave evidence in the sinks,,

First off

I guess its part of the "American Experance" as they consider the USA to be a third world country to the the US
What?

Secondly,

Eurotrash
Could you sound anymore like an ignorant American?

Thirdly,

Often they are crowded and smell of body oder as many Eurotrash frequent these places and the french women who dont shave there armpitts :ph34r: either leave evidence in the sinks,,
Evidently, yes.

Hostels in Europe are not the nice places that the travel guides make them out to be. Often they are crowded and smell of body oder as many Eurotrash frequent these places and the french women who dont shave there armpitts :ph34r: either leave evidence in the sinks,,

umm where did you get that idea? you watch the movie Hostel and think it's more right then the guide books? I spent 4 months traveling all around Europe staying in hostels almost the entire time (only twice I stayed in a hotel). And out of all the many many Hostels I stayed in (I'll post in a number once I sit down & count them) only one did I find to be less-then-nice. But there really wasn't anything wrong with it as far as I could tell, I just had "that feeling". The Majority of hostels are as nice as chain hotel here (I would argue most are better). Most people staying in the hostels take daily showers in hostels and hostel owners tend to keep their hostels smell-free.

I'm not gonna comment on the French women thing, as I don't really see what that has to do with hostels, buses, or trains.

Oh and no they really weren't crowded. Most only put up to 8-10 in a fairly large room (on the large end) and most also often individual rooms (2 beds usually) at a higher price.

peter

The idea of a Rail/Bus pass comes up again and again...Where I see it is that I often hear German or European Accents in Bus Stations of Eurostudents doing the grand tour

The The Greyhound® North America Discovery Pass seems to be the better deal as it offers more travel to more places and at more times then Amtrak. The European Students are also a tough bunch willing to put up with all sorts of BS that Americans would break down a cry. I guess its part of the "American Experance" as they consider the USA to be a third world country to the the US.???? Hostels in Europe are not the nice places that the travel guides make them out to be. Often they are crowded and smell of body oder as many Eurotrash frequent these places and the french women who dont shave there armpitts :ph34r: either leave evidence in the sinks,,
Really dude, I'm probably one of the most liberal, "let em post whatever the hell they want to post" members of this forum, but the kind of stuff you posted above has no place at all in this forum. I'm not asking it be removed or taken down, but your credibility, whatever is left-if any, just sunk another dozen notches.

With dispatches like that, I'd be shocked to see anyone respond to your posts..........

Our local Trailways company, Burlington Trailways just bought brand new busses to replace it's entire fleet. Rimrock Trailways in Montana just did the same. Jefferson Lines is still running around with old busses though. So some Trailways are doing well, and some aren't.

Our local Trailways company, Burlington Trailways just bought brand new busses to replace it's entire fleet. Rimrock Trailways in Montana just did the same. Jefferson Lines is still running around with old busses though. So some Trailways are doing well, and some aren't.
Interesting. Not that it really matters, but when did Jefferson join Trailways association?

Greyhound was successful when there were still a lot of people who didn't drive. Nowadays, almost everyone can drive. This may change as the Baby Boomers get older and there is a large segment of the population who may want or even need to travel but can no longer safely operate a motor vehicle. But for now, if Greyhound (or Trailways or anyone else) ran buses where they used to even in the '60s and '70s, a lot of trips would be carrying only two or three passengers—not nearly enough to make a profit.

The best bus ride I had was on a local Peter Pan that ran on local roads from Springfeild Mass to Albany in the Fall. There was like 5 people on the bus and the driver told me storys about where the old motels where the Boston Mob would hang out. The Berksires were buitifull and we stopped for food and smoke breaks as we were not in any particalar hurry. The other ride that I loved was Susquahanna Trailways from Williumsport PA to Harrisburgh were we stopped at all the local towns along the way. I got to see the old Curtis Airplain factory. If I were to recomend a bus ride it would be from Binghamton or Rochester NY or Syracuse NY on Trailways to Ithaca NY during the early fall or spring coming up thru the finger lakes.

Back