HBG 43 - PGH / 29 - CHI Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I hope the lower level coach on the 29 will work out cause i waited to long to upgrade to a roomette... mind you the bedroom is only 18 $ more then the roomette is.. at last checking. It says lower coach and roomette are sold out... we shall see in less then 1.5 days. I hope it will be as good as a ride as it was back in the late 80's and the 90's when i rode amrak while in the USN

I made the connection from 43 to 29 in PGH on the Jan 29th for the first time. I left my carry on bag with the attendant just to the left of the ticket window downstairs. Train 43 was about a bit early on that day. I took a walk down a few blocks on Penn Ave all the way to the area where the Heinz Hall is located. There are quite a few places to eat (and drink). I just wanted to get some exercise after sitting in coach from New York on 43 and New Haven on 141. I went back to the Westin something to eat at Bill's. It was nice in there and the food was good. I ate there so that I would be close to the station. The lobby of the Westin has some comfortable chairs so I sat in there reading and people watching until it was time to go back to the station. It was much more pleasant than the waiting area at the station. The attendant at the station said to be back by 11 PM.

I was booked on train 29 to CHI in lower level coach. Coach was very crowded upper and lower level coach. All 12 seats in the lower level were occupied from PGH to TOL. It was my first time in lower level coach. I was in a lower level roomette on the Empire Builder from Portland to Chicago last April and I liked it so that was my reason to try lower level coach. Convenient to get to the bathrooms right outside the door. There are only 12 seats down there but it was same type of seats as on the upper level. There is a carry on luggage rack to the right of the door as you walk into the door to the lower level seats. Since the door to the bathrooms and stairs is no more than 3 rows away you have the noise of the door anytime someone used it. There was also a light on all night by the door. I always have earplugs and a eye mask so they were put to good use so I could get some sleep.

FYI, they started serving breakfast in the dining car section at 6AM. No Railroad French Toast on the menu. The pancakes that I had were OK though.

Just my recent experience..

Well the 43 already has a problem, busted cold water line in the cafe car, requesting mops and buckets at Harrisburg... the 43C reports water everywhere in the car.

Made it to Pittsburgh amshack, my gosh, what crappy service here, the clerk tells everyone off, the 43 was awesome, great teamwork by all staff and the conductor and his trainie but man what a letdown here in Pittsburgh. The baggage lady was awesome but not the clerk. Someone cancled on a roomette and i asked about the upgrade cost, 258 buck more..

I remember Harrisburg having checked baggage. This was a few years ago. Did it change? I usually travel from Lewistown or Elizabethtown going West. Free parking. It's about $15-20 per day to park in the garage down the block.

I remember Harrisburg having checked baggage. This was a few years ago. Did it change? I usually travel from Lewistown or Elizabethtown going West. Free parking. It's about $15-20 per day to park in the garage down the block.
No checked baggage at Harrisburg Amtrak. :(
When the Broadway Limited and Three Rivers ran through Harrisburg, they did have checked baggage.

http://www.timetables.org/full.php?group=19941030n&item=0018

http://www.timetables.org/full.php?group=20011028n&item=0028

Now the only trains that run through HAR are the Keystones and the Pennsylvanian which don't have checked baggage service.

I haven't been at the Harrisburg station in a really long time so I don't know if it can actually accept baggage if they ever get an LD train passing through. If they do run the CL/Pennsylvanian train, could they then add baggage service to the Pennsylvanian and if so would you be able to check baggage in HAR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back