Has anyone seen 8400?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By all accounts it was converted to be pretty much the same as the new diners. It would be silly not to use it; it's a better reserve car than the motley mess of Heritage diners. I understand if they want to do even *more* changes to make it even *more* identical to the new diners.

What neroden said. It was built as a prototype for the new diners. When I ate in it, the crew said that it was significantly different from the rest of the diners—maybe slightly better, but mostly different. It would make a lot more sense to save it as a spare, with or without additional modifications, than to change it to something other than a dining car.

stayalert.jpg

We may have a heartbeat.

Although this is old information here is some discussion possibilities. The December 2015 Amtrak performance report in the engineering section list a Viewliner-1 diner being overhauled. Only V-1 diner in existence ??? Being 6 weeks old who knows what is 8400's status now.

I'll be traveling on the lsl soon. I hope, the diner will be one if the heritage cars. I am going to be to miss the old ladies. My luck I'll get the # 8400.

One of the original prototypes was a diner, and it is still in service...

Although this is old information here is some discussion possibilities. The December 2015 Amtrak performance report in the engineering section list a Viewliner-1 diner being overhauled. Only V-1 diner in existence ??? Being 6 weeks old who knows what is 8400's status now.
See the above post by AntrakLKL - who I trust.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be traveling on the lsl soon. I hope, the diner will be one if the heritage cars. I am going to be to miss the old ladies. My luck I'll get the # 8400.
If you haven't got to eat in 8400 ( Indianapolis,)you'll enjoy it! Most of us think it's pretty sweet compared to the tired, worn out Heritage Diners and look forward to the New VLIIs rolling down the tracks someday! ( maybe 2017??)
And I'm a fan of Heritage Rail Cars!

I think it's more like 8400 found Dave, rather than the other way round. It seems to be following him around the country if he got to eat in it more than once.... :giggle:

Back