Hanging Out in Chicago Metrpolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We arrived safely in Flagstaff shortly before midnight, two hours late. We were held at Gallup while the DEA conducted a drug search, but apparently they came up empty handed. The return from Chicago was a fairly good trip and I have kind things to say about the LSA, Pauline, and our SCA, Mary Beth, who was a real doll. The decline if standards does irk me. Some of the food was quite good , and I complimented the chef on the fish. But if I had a choice of restaurants, would I go to this one with the menu and prices? Probably not. My letter to Mr Boardman is not yet solidified in my thick head. As much as I enjoy that train trip, if I was to make another trip to Chicago in the bear future, I'd drive or fly. ( I am someone who likes driving long distances. )

We arrived safely in Flagstaff shortly before midnight, two hours late. We were held at Gallup while the DEA conducted a drug search, but apparently they came up empty handed. The return from Chicago was a fairly good trip and I have kind things to say about the LSA, Pauline, and our SCA, Mary Beth, who was a real doll. The decline if standards does irk me. Some of the food was quite good , and I complimented the chef on the fish. But if I had a choice of restaurants, would I go to this one with the menu and prices? Probably not. My letter to Mr Boardman is not yet solidified in my thick head. As much as I enjoy that train trip, if I was to make another trip to Chicago in the bear future, I'd drive or fly. ( I am someone who likes driving long distances. )

Most of us have had this happen on Western Trains but its usually due to the altitude not a problem if you're still on the Eastern Colorado prairies! Good that there is room in the transform for y'all, if it was summer this could be a dilemina! Keep us posted,are you there yet? LOL
All the Amtrak stations in SE Colorado are between 5,000 and 7,000 feet in elevation, so it's a very common problem there, especially with the old (and mostly gone now) vacuum-style toilets.

My cats have a story behind their names. My college roommate and i, whose name was Phil, were great friends and remained so for many years. During college we developed a wacky sense of humor that was peculiarly our own and through some inside jokes took the nicknames Boris ( me ) and Hedley ( Phil. ) I took Phil on a big camping trip out west in June of 1987 and we had a wonderful time before I returned him to his home in Tennessee. On July 3, 1987 he and two friends were all struck and killed by lightning on a golf course near his home. I still miss him and his wonderful musical talent and humor. In 2012 I bought a home here in Flagstaff and said that when I got the house in order I would get two cats, and if they were two males I would call them Hedley and Boris, in honor of our friendship. I know Phil would grin from ear to ear if he met them!

Back to train ..........Many remarks have been made about the pros and cons of the present service level. But the passengers I met, which included the previously mentioned Amish, who were much in evidence on both trains, really made the trip interesting and worthwhile. The concerts we heard in Chicago, such as the Venice Baroque Ensemble, Chicago Symphony, and pianist Evgeny Kissin were memorable!

Say it ain't so Joe! :eek: Makes me think of what they said about FDR and Poppy Bush: "He's a Traitor to his Class!" ^_^

Glad ya'll enjoyed the Trip inspite of the OTP and Toliet Problem and made it home, is there Snow in Flagstaff?? I think Big Joe, Congress and CR will start getting lots of Complaints/Concerns re the Nickel and Diming going on on the LD Trains! Looks like the so called "Premium" Trains took the worst cuts, the AT,EB/CS!!!

I

I haven't seen any Notices of Lower Fares yet! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back