Greyhound Publishes New (Inaccurate) Route Map

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I remember reading a book that said Carl Eric Wickman would sit back in his chairman chair when he was tired and look at the massive Greyhound map across from him in his office.

Now I guess David Leach doesn't have his own "United States of Greyhound" map.

I've seen some Greyhound maps mounted in bus terminals, but all are old and outdated.

If only there was a live bus tracker, I could sit here and see myself not moving on a broken down bus 40 miles east of Kingman, AZ. The joy

If only there was a live bus tracker, I could sit here and see myself not moving on a broken down bus 40 miles east of Kingman, AZ. The joy
Ugh. That sucks. Hope you get moving soon and that Greyhound gives you some sort of compensation.

While you wouldn't get anything from a live bus tracker (you know where you are) the passengers who are waiting to board that bus (with no clue where it is and likely getting no update from the station agent, who also likely doesn't know) would benefit.

Maybe it could show us where our replacement bus is. We've been here nearly 4 hours and it still gonna be another hour coming from Vegas!! It must be coming here in reverse gear

Last edited by a moderator:
#85784? I'm surprised! That one's an ex-Carolina Trailways DL3. I wonder what it's doing on the Las Vegas-Phoenix route. I did hear on the live grapevine that Las Vegas ran out of buses. They were using a X3-45 on the Transcon, which is regularly-assigned a Blue G.

Greyhound doesn't have a Maintenance Center in Las Vegas, which may be the problem. They're going to have to call a replacement bus with an emergency replacement driver, which would be an on-call extra board driver. Also, #85784 probably can't directly contact the replacement bus.

Ricky's right, the guys in Flagstaff waiting to go to Phoenix are going to be pissed because the Flagstaff station doesn't know where the bus is. But again, the bus tracking would be confusing without a map to track with, and Greyhound doesn't have any accurate map of their routes whatsoever.

#85784? I'm surprised!
I'm not, it's a 15 year old bus.
But again, the bus tracking would be confusing without a map to track with, and Greyhound doesn't have any accurate map of their routes whatsoever.
Why couldn't you just display the location of the buses on an online map like Google Maps?
You can tell people how fast it's traveling, distance to next stop, estimated time of arrival and the amount of time the bus has deviated from the schedule.

Buses mostly follow the highways, so I don't really see why you need a line on a map for that.

The problem as I see it is that, to my knowledge, Greyhound doesn't have set routes. If you put fixed routes on a street level mapping system, passengers will question why

You don't get it. I was surprised because I was not expecting an ex-Carolina DL3 to be running Las Vegas-Phoenix. It's not based out of Los Angeles. I guess it could be based out of Saint Louis, because Saint Louis has a run to Phoenix. Or maybe it's based out of Denver.

Back