Good place to stay by King street station Seattle ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the point is that if the issues described bother you, it's probably not the place for you. Some people like the adventure of weird places and meeting weird people. Also some people can sleep just about anywhere.

Whats "wierd" about Hostels and people who stay there Lion?

The ones in the US I've stayed in,especially in Chicago,Sacramento and Santa Barbara, have been excellent values for the money and very "mainstream."

Are you supposed to bring sheets and towels and pillows with you? Should you avoid hostels if you snore or have a cold? Is some sort of staff member available during the night? Do people in hostels sleep in the buff? What's the etiquette for dealing with noisy guests? Hotels are as simple to understand as elementary mathematics while hostel protocol seems to ebb and flow like a partial differential equation.
Usually towels. Yes. Usually yes. Usually no. Earplugs.

Read the reviews on Hostelworld, TripAdvisor, etc. to get a sense of the protocol and vibe for the specific property, since they do vary.

If it seems like hostels encourage interactions among weird people, it may be because they encourage more interactions among people, period (and most people are a little bit weird in their own ways), compared to hotels where guests are more likely to keep to themselves. But it's easy enough to opt out of the interactions, too, if they're not your thing.

Googling "hostel house rules" gives an interesting cross section of policies for hostels around the world. Most of them have officially posted quiet hours (though this doesn't prevent snoring). Many require proof of a non-local address and onward travel plans, to prevent people from moving in semi-permanently. Some supply linens and towels, some don't.

The ones in the US I've stayed in,especially in Chicago,Sacramento and Santa Barbara, have been excellent values for the money and very "mainstream."
Jim, in our hyper privacy obsessed, status crazy, materialistic society, what precisely is NOT weird about hostels and the people who stay there?

Jim, in our hyper privacy obsessed, status crazy, materialistic society, what precisely is NOT weird about hostels and the people who stay there?
Got it!

Privacy obsessed? In 2017? What on earth are you talking about?

If we truly were "hyper privacy obsessed", Google and Amazon would be out of business...not to mention the makers of "Smart TVs". "Yes, we're putting a live mike in your living room and bedroom which is on and phoning home to our servers twenty-four hours a day...." What's not to like about that?

There are many types of "hostel", from cheap dorm accomodation for the down and out, Salvation Army type places, to those that cater for budget travelers. I believe "youth hostels" started in the UK, as a way of allowing young people to cheaply access fresh air and exercise in the countryside, away from the polution of industrial workplaces. Nowadays, these spartan type of hostels have changed to offer some modern comforts too, as well as accepting folk of all ages.

The main attraction for me is the budget price, often between $25 - $45 for the "Hostels International" chain, which I try to use.

The chance to meet folk from all over the world in the common areas, and use the kitchen to cook a cheap meal are great too.

The H.I. hostels tend not to allow folk from their immediate area to stay, so cater for genuine travelers.

On my recent 5 week trip to America, I stayed in Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Sacramento, (Hello Aimee... ;) ), San Diego and San Louis Obispo hostels, and enjoyed them all.

I simply could not afford to do this trip if I had to pay hotel prices for these city centre accomodations.

The downside is lack of privacy, the chance of sharing a room with a heavy snorer, etc.

Some guests change into their nightwear in the shower area, some sleep in their clothes, as one would overnight in a train coach seat. Towels are either included, or available to rent for the stay for a few cents. All bedding is provided, and sheets, etc, changed after each guest, rather like the Amtrak sleepers.

Hostel stays won't suit everyone, but if one is short of funds and still wishes to travel, they should be on such folks radar to try at least once.

I will be posting my trip report soon, complete with budget sleeping on the floor of the Amtrak trains, which made the hostels seem quite deluxe by comparison. :D

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:

I resemble that remark. :eek:

At the suggestion of a few here I stayed at the HI Hostel in Chicago for the gathering. Otherwise I might not have been able to attend because of my financial situation at that time. I stayed at the HI Hostel in D.C. for the same reason. Though the hostels are generally geared to the young single travelers, I saw older guests, such as myself. It's a great way to travel "cheaply". I personally think hotel prices are way to high for the short time that I spend in them. When I travel, I'm out and about all day and only use the room to sleep and bathe.

If we truly were "hyper privacy obsessed", Google and Amazon would be out of business...not to mention the makers of "Smart TVs". "Yes, we're putting a live mike in your living room and bedroom which is on and phoning home to our servers twenty-four hours a day...." What's not to like about that?
That is a lack of privacy that exists primarily because most people do not understand or comprehend the depth of the invasion.

That is a lack of privacy that exists primarily because most people do not understand or comprehend the depth of the invasion.
So you're saying that people are hyper obsessed with concepts they cannot even begin to comprehend? I guess you'd know as much about that as anyone.

Most people are hyper obsessed by concepts they can't begin to comprehend. A desire to understand is a reason to obsess, no?

Back