Getting to WAS from Lancaster Pa -- what would you do?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm disappointed that no one has mentioned the biggest reason for taking the Penny west. To go over Horseshoe Curve!!!! I've done it quite a few times. After my Father passed away 3 years ago I made a trip to the Altoona area where my father and I spent lots of time and have some great memories. Horseshoe Curve is one of several places where his ashes were spread.

We are taking the CL to CHI on June 29, and then on to ABQ on the SWC on the 30th. 3 week trip.

We can either take the Keystone to Philly, and then on to WAS on a Regional or an Acela -- which is ideal if trains are running on time.

Or we can rent a car and drive it one way to a metro location and take the metro to Union Station DC, or drive it all the way to Union station, which guarantees the train connection.

What would you do?
I'd take the train. And I'd leave on one of the earlier trains to give myself extra time. But then I hate driving and don't like to be rushed. If you're in a hurry, drive.

Or I'd take the Pennsy west and do the midnight connection at Pittsburgh. :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak suggests the following trains for connecting to the CL from Lancaster (I chose a station on the CL route to get this to show up)

660 (7:55 am) -- 143 (11:15 am) -- arrives at WAS at 1:16 pm

664 (10:05 am) -- 195 (12:34 pm) -- arrives at WAS at 2:25 pm

I'm guessing if you can get an agent to link one of these to your reservation (don't let them cancel/rebook) it would make them guaranteed connections

If one has the time and money to take a train from the east coast to Albuquerque, then it likely wouldn't be an issue for them to add a train or two in the beginning rather than drive. It is far more comfortable and relaxing than having to drive. However, if time is of the essence, then I would recommend taking the Pennsylvanian to Pittsburgh and transferring there rather than driving to a location along the CL.

We are on the CL from WAS because it leaves in the afternoon which is much better than picking it up in Pittsburgh in terms of departure time. So the CL/SWC is booked.

Option is getting to WAS that I am

if there are glitches getting out of Philly that we might miss the connection. But driving to Union Station is a bear. If trains are delayed that day. The BWI idea is a good one.

I'd take the train. And I'd leave on one of the earlier trains to give myself extra time. But then I hate driving and don't like to be rushed. If you're in a hurry, drive.

Or I'd take the Pennsy west and do the midnight connection at Pittsburgh. :-(
At least this time of year it'll be warm enough to walk outside and go around Pittsburgh (although still dark). I don't think anyone with a straight face can say they would want to spend four hours in the Am-shack. And the eastbound connection in PGH forces you out of the train around 5am.

For PHL (and anywhere in NJ) the transfer in WAS is a no brainer over the transfer in PGH although for LNC (and HAR) it would be an extra transfer to get to WAS. At least once you get back to WAS the trains run more frequently. I'd say Keystone-LSL via NYP is an option going west but not coming from the eastbound LSL.

I would Keystone to PHL and regional to WAS. One way car rentals are very expensive. Going to Pittsburgh takes through the Mountains and horseshoe curve but also it a late connection to CL. I would rather get to WAS then get settled for the overnight to Chicago.

What would I do? I enjoy driving and train rides equally so my answer would be entirely cost based. And since I do not mind late nights so if CL hadn't been reserved I would Pennsy myself to Pittsburgh and enjoy a short walk on one of many bridges nearby before hopping on CL westbound. :giggle:

However, I think for op, the suggestion of modifying your reservation and adding a couple of guaranteed early connections by way of keystone and regional is the best.

Back