Getting a window seat on the Pennsy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunder Road

Service Attendant
I'm headed back to school tomorrow on the Pennsy an CL. I'm going TRE-CHI with the stop at PGH.

Anyway, I booked TRE instead of PHL because I thought it would be easier to get a window seat earlier into the run. From your experience, how full is the train upon leaving NYP? Do people get off at PHL and treat the Pennsy like a Regional? If so, is it apropos to snag someone else's window when they get off?

If none of that happens, is it frowned upon to set up in the cafe car and sit there for a lot of the time?

Thanks

Not sure how much traffic there is between TRE and PHL but have ridden from PHL to Altoona and beyond several times and did not have a difficult time finding a seat by the window.

Not sure if they still have a cafe car/business car combo, but you might consider riding in BC for an extra $25 for the entire trip to PGH. A quieter ride and free soft drinks. Also it is the rear car on the train and you can get some nice photos out the railfan window in the rear. Horseshoe Curve is nice this time of year. :giggle:

Board the train and yell "THERE IS A SNAKE DOWN THERE!" That should cause some passengers to get up from their seats and run, occupy the now-vacant window seat!
ph34r.gif

I have been on this train from both NYP and PHL to Elizabethtown. When I was on from NYP it was a holiday weekend and the train was packed. People did get off in Philly but alot got on too. I would think there is fairly high ridership till Harrisburg because it's time fall between two pretty far spaced Keystone trains but I am not sure this is true on Saturday.

People treat the Pennsy more like a "heavy Keystone" than a Regional. It should be all right finding a window seat post Harrisburg. No problems since this is low season.

Not sure how much traffic there is between TRE and PHL but have ridden from PHL to Altoona and beyond several times and did not have a difficult time finding a seat by the window.

Not sure if they still have a cafe car/business car combo, but you might consider riding in BC for an extra $25 for the entire trip to PGH. A quieter ride and free soft drinks. Also it is the rear car on the train and you can get some nice photos out the railfan window in the rear. Horseshoe Curve is nice this time of year. :giggle:
The Pennsy runs with a full Amfleet I business class car and a full dinette car just like on the Regionals. Getting on at Trenton and changing seats as necessary at PHL isn't a bad idea.

The full dinette has enough tables that you'll probably have no problem camping out there. Just say that you need the wifi and the Amfleet II car you're seated in doesn't have it.

My dad got 6 coupons for a free upgrade to BC, which they let me use on 43.

I think at most the car was 1/3 full. Outside of Johnstown now and there are multiple sets of two seats open.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just curious here. Which side of the train is better (for scenerio, views, etc.)? What side of the train (going west bound) is the inside of horseshoe curve?

I am just curious here. Which side of the train is better (for scenerio, views, etc.)? What side of the train (going west bound) is the inside of horseshoe curve?
The left is the inside of horseshoe curve.

But you follow the Susquehanna and Juniata Rivers extensively on the right, and from the right I could see all of Horseshoe out the window on the left. Of course, if you're in BC you can wander to the back and look out the door. On today's train the conductor gave a 3-minute talk about it and then watched from the back of the train with the door open, so I could peek out as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back