Galveston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

traveler

Has anyone here ever traveled to Galveston via the Amtrak bus from the Texas Eagle at Longview? I'm thinking of maybe doing this sometime in the next year, I'd be coming and going ultimately via a connection from the Cardinal at Chicago. What is Galveston like now, I've never been but had heard it was nice from a friend who had went (via plane and rental car that is, non-rail fan, shame on him, lol) before the hurricane a few years ago.

Has anyone here ever traveled to Galveston via the Amtrak bus from the Texas Eagle at Longview? I'm thinking of maybe doing this sometime in the next year, I'd be coming and going ultimately via a connection from the Cardinal at Chicago. What is Galveston like now, I've never been but had heard it was nice from a friend who had went (via plane and rental car that is, non-rail fan, shame on him, lol) before the hurricane a few years ago.
Galveston is slowly rebuilding from the hurricane. I've never done the bus from Longview though, but I've been to Galveston many times when I lived in Houston. You'll still find plenty to do and see down there. I assume the old trolley is still running and don't forget to visit the railroad museum. It's in the old station down there and has quite a collection.

Upon leaving Galveston, make sure you book your reservation at least 24 hours in advance. I guess they need to know if the bus to pick anyone up from there. There are proposals for a commuter line from Houston to Galveston. Who knows when that'll actually happen though.

What is Galveston like now, I've never been but had heard it was nice from a friend who had went (via plane and rental car that is, non-rail fan, shame on him, lol) before the hurricane a few years ago.
Galveston is slowly rebuilding from the hurricane. ... I assume the old trolley is still running and don't forget to visit the railroad museum. It's in the old station down there and has quite a collection.
I haven't been to Galveston in well over 15 years, not since I spent 2 1/2 months in Houston, but at that time it was beautiful. I don't know about the trolley, but wasn't the railroad museum under water and I don't think they moved the static displays. :( Are they back open? :huh:

(BTW - "guest_traveler" is NOT "the_traveler"! One is all the earth can take! :p )

There is an alternative, ride the City of New Orleans from CHI-NOL, spend the night, then catch the thrice weekly Sunset Ltd. to HOS, then you can ride the bus down to Galveston! The ride from Longview to Galveston is through East Texas, stops in Houston, then down the Gulf Freeway to Galveston.

Galveston itself is recovering about like new Orleans, the tourist stuff is all back in operation, the poorest part of town is still basically bare ground and may never be rebuilt! There currently is a shortage of medical services etc. since UT Medical School/Hospital cut way back on services so most folks have to go across the causeway to the mainland or to Houston.

As other posters said, the Strand downtown is sort of like the French Quarter in New Orleans, the Railroad museum is pretty neat too. For a resort the prices arent too bad except on weekends in the warm months, they also have a pretty good Mardi Gras and Christmas on the Strand which is slowly regaining its crowd and excitement. They sure would appreciate and need the business, it's a great place to sight see, eat sea food and take a walk on the beaches,a dip in the Gulf,visit Moody Gardens

and perhaps a ride on a sight seeing boat. The oldest drugstore/soda fountain in Texas is still open also, as is a huge military surplus store that's fun to look @ which is also on the strand. Google up Galveston, it's a funky, fun place! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent a Thursday to a Saturday in Galveston last year (pre-hurricane) for work. Personally, I was not very impressed. I didn't find any restaurants that thrilled me and the beach was quite awful. I ended up leaving a day early and staying up in Houston instead.

I spent a Thursday to a Saturday in Galveston last year (pre-hurricane) for work. Personally, I was not very impressed. I didn't find any restaurants that thrilled me and the beach was quite awful. I ended up leaving a day early and staying up in Houston instead.
Do not know about now, but 20 year ago when living in the Houston area, the place to go for nice beach area was across from Galveston to the Boliver penninsula.

Do not know about now, but 20 year ago when living in the Houston area, the place to go for nice beach area was across from Galveston to the Boliver penninsula.
The Bolivar Penninsula was pretty severely hit, pretty much everything is gone over there, the ferry that the state runs is operating again, it's sort of a shortcut to get up to Beaumont and Port Arthur but you need a car for this! I guess Phila 30th St. doesnt care for funky ports, but as an old Navy hand I see lots to like in a second tier resort/port, especially the prices as compared to the new flashy places! There are some really good seafood joints but of course not downtown on the Strand which are tourists joints, sort of like comparing the French Quarter to the rest of New Orleans!

What is Galveston like now, I've never been but had heard it was nice from a friend who had went (via plane and rental car that is, non-rail fan, shame on him, lol) before the hurricane a few years ago.
Galveston is slowly rebuilding from the hurricane. ... I assume the old trolley is still running and don't forget to visit the railroad museum. It's in the old station down there and has quite a collection.
I haven't been to Galveston in well over 15 years, not since I spent 2 1/2 months in Houston, but at that time it was beautiful. I don't know about the trolley, but wasn't the railroad museum under water and I don't think they moved the static displays. :( Are they back open? :huh:

(BTW - "guest_traveler" is NOT "the_traveler"! One is all the earth can take! :p )
Thanks for the tips, the_traveler, and everyone else. If I decide to register on here I'll pick something more original for a nickname, LOL.

There is an alternative, ride the City of New Orleans from CHI-NOL, spend the night, then catch the thrice weekly Sunset Ltd. to HOS, then you can ride the bus down to Galveston! The ride from Longview to Galveston is through East Texas, stops in Houston, then down the Gulf Freeway to Galveston.
Thanks, I hadn't thought of doing that, but it is a good idea. Especially since I was originally thinking of doing either Galveston OR Nola...maybe hit both in one trip? Maybe go one way and come back the other for variety's sake. However, will Arrow let you book NOL-GLV via the Sunset and then the Amtrak bus connection from Houston?? It doesn't seem to want to. (Tries to route through Chicago.) Or would one need to book HOS-GLV separately yourself through the mangey dog?

Has anyone here ever traveled to Galveston via the Amtrak bus from the Texas Eagle at Longview?
Thanks, I hadn't thought of doing that, but it is a good idea. Especially since I was originally thinking of doing either Galveston OR Nola...maybe hit both in one trip? Maybe go one way and come back the other for variety's sake. However, will Arrow let you book NOL-GLV via the Sunset and then the Amtrak bus connection from Houston?? It doesn't seem to want to. (Tries to route through Chicago.) Or would one need to book HOS-GLV separately yourself through the mangey dog?
While Jim's idea is a good one (I hate saying that :angry: :lol: ), the problem is that there is no Thruway that connect to the SL to or from NOL. There is one from Galveston to Houston - but it only connects to the westbound SL. (It arrives at 8:15 PM.) There is none that connects with the SL from Houston to Galveston at all. The one from Longview to Galveston goes thru Houston mid day, but is marked R and D at Houston!

Thanks for the tips, the_traveler, and everyone else. If I decide to register on here I'll pick something more original for a nickname, LOL.
The world could not handle 2 travelers! :lol: It's in bad enough shape just trying to get use to just 1! :wacko:

I go to Galveston almost every month. I might be there Saturday. Forget the gloom and doom.

Galveston is back. I was in Galveston 3 weeks after Ike and it was scarey to see the emptiness and destruction.

As a matter of fact I went through Ike, all 13 hours....GAWWWWWD. Gaveston is fine. Not 100% pre-Ike, but close.

And yes, the trolley are running. Even the Bolivar is coming back althought they have a long way to go.

No, the Galveston Railroad Museum is still closed, message on the museum's web page states "Although currently closed due to the devastation of Hurricane Ike, we will be reopening in late fall of '09 or early 2010!"

http://www.galvestonrrmuseum.com/

It's been about 10 years since we've been to the museum, I recall it was quite good. Hope they can get the exhibits back up & running soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back