Fresh air stops on Southwest Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just so I know west of Albuquerque(it seems pretty clear all the such stops east of ABQ, which are called as a smoke stop or sometimes called as one if time allows for it), which ones are the smoke stops? Am I correct in thinking Gallup, Flagstaff, and San Bernardino are the *usual stops called as such? Are there any others that are less often called as a brief stop during the overnight hours between ABQ and LAX, such as Kingman or one of the others in eastern California before San Bernardino?

I didn't know Dodge City was considered a brief overnight smoking stop for the SWC, so interesting to learn about that one in this thread. And allegedly Newton, as well(probably for those transferring to the Newton-OKC bus, or from that to the SWC going to Newton allowing a few minutes there).

*- I know these stops except for the very longest ones(i.e. Albuquerque, KC) can be shortened or eliminated, if the train is running late.
Flagstaff looks to be only a 6 minute stop. San Bernardino and Kingman even shorter.
Gotcha. I was suspecting anyway that none of the fresh air/smoking stops were definite ones, other than KC, La Junta, Albuquerque, and the brief 6 minute one at Flagstaff. And that shorter ones like Flagstaff and San Bernardino could be eliminated, if the train was running late. I have sometimes been just looking on juckins.net and also on amtrak.com and looking up train status(and searching for separate arrival and departure times), to figure out which are the less obvious smoking stops which are sometimes called and sometimes not depending on time. I'll be able to deal with it anyway, and thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back