Food near Chicago Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffW

Train Attendant
Hi, all.

I'm getting ready for my next trip (Music Teacher's conference in Milwaukee!) next weekend. I couldn't have planned it better: I got the winter discounts, and I'll also get the double points for the spring.

On the way back, I'm meeting a friend who lives in Chicago. Since my layover is only two hours, we'll meet at Union Station, but it would be nice to have a quiet place to talk, preferably with coffee. The problem as I've found in the past, is that most places outside of Union Station close pretty early, the latest being Panera (closed at 7pm). Does anyone have any suggestions? We don't mind walking a few blocks, but I've only got two hours!

I've already seen this thread:

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/35810-chicago-layoverthings-to-do/

and I've briefly looked through this website:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/ps/2/6514/Chicago/Landmarks/Union-Station.html

Thanks, and happy travels!

Are you primarily looking for food, or are you primarily looking for a place to meet and talk? If food, what kind of budget are you looking for?

I've worked in the area for years, and I'll agree that there's next to nothing in the immediate vicinity of Union Station that stays open particularly late.

Al's Beef and Chipotle are fast-food ish type places that stay open until 8 pm, and are a couple blocks away. If you extend your range a bit, there's a place called Cafe Iguana at the northeast corner of Halsted/Grand/Milwaukee (no, they don't serve iguana, but they do have a pet iguana that sits in a little cubby hole over the restaurant). It's a longer walk (might take you 20-25 minutes to get there on foot), or you can take the Blue Line to Grand station (or the #56 bus). They serve lighter meals (you can eat for under $10 if you really wanted to), and have a varied drink selection.

I'm not much of a coffee drinker, so I don't know when the various Starbucks (or similar shops) close.

Edit: According to the Starbucks website, the one near me closes at 9 pm. It's over on Halsted, so exit the Great Hall to Adams street, and walk west (away from the river), cross the expressway, and go north (it's across the street from Walgreens, in a strip of various retailers, next door to a bank).

Last edited by a moderator:
On the way back, I'm meeting a friend who lives in Chicago. Since my layover is only two hours, we'll meet at Union Station, but it would be nice to have a quiet place to talk, preferably with coffee.
Doesn't Chicago Union Station have a food court on the Jackson St side of the upper level? I found a station retail guide here:

http://www.chicagounionstation.com/retail_guide.html

I'm curious to know if all these businesses are still there, as I'll be going there in May.

Here is a place just about 100 yards from the southwest corner of the Great Hall. http://www.beggarspizza.com/chicago-clinton-2/

It is just across Jackson and Clinton and is open until 11 PM or later 6 nights and until 9 PM on Sunday.

They have IMHO the best pizza in the Chicago area. They make your pie for you thick or thin, have a large dining room (decorated in a railroad motif), serve alcohol, and have free WiFi.

I know that this is the most serious offense that you can commit at AU but they are better than that "G" place. I think that I can consider myself a connoisseur of Chicago pizza (those of you that have met me can vouch for the fact that I know my food).

If this post gets me banned all I can say it has been a good ride!

:( :eek: :wub: :blush:

Funny, for all the times I've been to Beggar's Pizza for lunch, I've never thought of them being a place that stays open late. I was even thinking about them yesterday when I posted my response above, but never thought of their hours.

Are they better than the other pizza places...well, that's a matter of opinion. But, I'll agree that they're good.

The food court at CUS isn't anything to write home about. I don't know when each individual place closes, but I don't think too much is open after 7-8 pm (except for that place with the yellow "M" logo, but I don't consider them to be food).

There are a couple of bar and grills that stay open until 3 am within a block of the station. Both have excellent food and vie for the best burger in town.

Boston Blackies is one block north... corner of Canal and Monroe. They also have a very nice outdoor patio if the weather permits during your trip.

Dylans is half a block from the station. You'll walk right by it on the way to Blackies.

I have never been there (Either place) late at night so I don't know how loud the music gets at that time but during late afternoon and early evening having a conversation is no problem.

the marquette inn is just a few blocks to the east on west adams. the dining room closes at 6 or 7, but the bar stays open later and they still serve food at that time. it's a friendly, diner kind of place. i had some awesome french toast and bacon there about a month ago during a layover.

These are all great suggestions--I'll probably scope them out on my initial layover (I have four hours that time, pending LSL on time...).

Living further east, I'm really missing the Chicago style pizza these days--great suggestions! I'll give a "food report" in addition to the trip report once all is over!

There are a couple of bar and grills that stay open until 3 am within a block of the station. Both have excellent food and vie for the best burger in town.

Boston Blackies is one block north... corner of Canal and Monroe. They also have a very nice outdoor patio if the weather permits during your trip.

Dylans is half a block from the station. You'll walk right by it on the way to Blackies.

I have never been there (Either place) late at night so I don't know how loud the music gets at that time but during late afternoon and early evening having a conversation is no problem.
I second the motion to go to Boston Blackies. This is my (and the misses) preferred place to eat (and socialize) during a long layover in Chicago. I might get kicked out of this Forum but Giordano's does not warrant my recommendation. Chicago pizza rates well below my beloved New York pizza. Sorry members of the Giordano fan club. :giggle:

I second the motion to go to Boston Blackies. This is my (and the misses) preferred place to eat (and socialize) during a long layover in Chicago. I might get kicked out of this Forum but Giordano's does not warrant my recommendation. Chicago pizza rates well below my beloved New York pizza. Sorry members of the Giordano fan club. :giggle:

I have to agree on Boston Blackies. Normally a good choice for the food and I believe they are open later in the evening.

I also have to agree on Chicago style pizza being overrated. I grew up in Chicago on the south side and we never would have considered deep dish pizza. Thin crust with lots of sausage and peppers - and good old fashioned grease kept us going! After a high school football game, it was pizza and you know who had been there by the familiar smells that permeated your clothes. I think the deep dish fascination has been blown out of proportion.

I have never been to Giordono's or any of the other deep dish places and I don't intend to start now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back