Follow up ride on Late Late Crescent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AMTRAK-P42

Conductor
From GeneP.(original story):

Just after midnight on 18MAY2007 a pickup truck missed a curve on highway adjacent to NS Piedmont Division tracks, and ran onto the right of way at mp244, nine miles south of Danville, where it was struck by NS train 17M. It came to rest between the two tracks, fouling the other track where the Crescent, Train 19(17) struck it. No injuries to either crew or to passengers. The vehicle had two occupants, an adult who was killed, and a child who jumped clear and avoided injury.

The pickup truck was jammed between the two trains. NS 17M was split to allow access to remove the wrecked truck.

Train 19 was delayed 4 hr 39 min. Supplies were loaded at Charlotte to provide a complimentary breakfast to Coach passengers.

------------------------------------------------------

My follow up. I wrote this while in-route yesterday, so pardon the broken and episodic-like writing:

Just wanted to say hello from this same train #19. I jump at the opportunity to ride trains that are this late, and as soon as I woke up and spotted the notice on train orders I made some phone calls, such as to my summer job and to Amtrak, and then I booked a round trip to NOL on #19 and #20. Ill be headed back up on this same set tomorrow and depending on what time we get in early this morning, we will probably be late departing northbound as well. We departed ATL (my summer home) this morning 6hours 23 minutes late, and departed Anniston 6 hours 42 minutes after waiting 5 minutes for one northbound NS at Inman and an extending smoke break. I am in a sleeper, but Amtrak has been doing a good job this trip. As previously mentioned they distributed breakfast at Charlotte and they had Jersey Mikes Subs which they distributed to Coach Passengers. Water and Coffee our on the house as well. We just got into Meridian, MS. We got stabbed for about 20 minutes outside the city, and it made the work window real close, the crew was looking at going dead at 1042 and we got in at 1023, departing at 1030. 7 hours and 40 minutes late.

Right now, with about the 40 minutes of schedule padding, and assuming we lose no more time, looking into NOL at about 230am scheduled at 726pm.

Well, we got in exactly 7 hours and 30 minutes late at 254am, so I was close. We left slidell over 8 hours late, but with the padding, we managed to arrive sub 8-hour. Units were the #194, #133 with the normal consist. Im about to go to sleep for what should be only 2 ½ hours, but we will see how quickly they can turn #19 tonight.

I returned on #20 today. Was very surprised when I arrived at the station after a very short night of sleep to find the trainset already in the station. We departed only 30 minutes, although we got stabbed for a long time due to NS signal problems in Alabama, that showed in our 1 hour 11 minute late arrival in Atlanta this evening. Overall, very "successful" railfan trip for me, the 8 hours is the second latest train I have ever been on, falling 2 hours short of my starlate from 2 summers ago.

Pictures when I can get them up. Right now, I just need sleep.

I returned on #20 today. Was very surprised when I arrived at the station after a very short night of sleep to find the trainset already in the station. We departed only 30 minutes, although we got stabbed for a long time due to NS signal problems in Alabama, that showed in our 1 hour 11 minute late arrival in Atlanta this evening. Overall, very "successful" railfan trip for me, the 8 hours is the second latest train I have ever been on, falling 2 hours short of my starlate from 2 summers ago.
Amtrk P-42;

Did you happen to notice when they opened the diner for breakfast on # 20 on the return trip?

Amtrk P-42;

Did you happen to notice when they opened the diner for breakfast on # 20 on the return trip?

Yea, in the past they have usually done it about 40 minutes out of NOL. This trip, it was right about at Slidell, LA that they opened it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back