Flixbus accident in upper New York State

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This article misses a very important point that differs from Greyhound: while Greyhound is (future was) a bus operator, Flixbus is only a bus "coordinator" (same in Europe): it contracts with multiple local bus companies to operate the routes they sell.

Here, the tickets were sold by Flixbus, the bus was painted in Flixbus colors... but it was operated by Skyway Coach Lines, a Canadian company based in Markham, Ontario.
That's why "FlixBus said it is working closely with authorities and its *transport partner* to determine the exact circumstances of this accident."

I've emailed ABC news (who wrote the article), we'll see if they correct the article.

Last edited:
This article misses a very important point that differs from Greyhound: while Greyhound is (future was) a bus operator, Flixbus is only a bus "coordinator" (same in Europe): it contracts with multiple local bus companies to operate the routes they sell.

Here, the tickets were sold by Flixbus, the bus was painted in Flixbus colors... but it was operated by Skyway Coach Lines, a Canadian company based in Markham, Ontario.
That's why "FlixBus said it is working closely with authorities and its transport partner to determine the exact circumstances of this accident."
Ah, that's why I've seen different buses, including FlixBus, at the Newark, DE transportation center.

Yes, when you search for tickets on their website and look at the "details" of a result, it will tell you which company will operate... or sometimes give you a list of companies because it contracts with multiple companies on that route! (is that even legal not to tell which one exactly?)

Yes, when you search for tickets on their website and look at the "details" of a result, it will tell you which company will operate... or sometimes give you a list of companies because it contracts with multiple companies on that route! (is that even legal not to tell which one exactly?)
I've never used them, but when I hang out at the station I'm sometimes there when it arrives.

That's why "FlixBus said it is working closely with authorities and its transport partner to determine the exact circumstances of this accident.
In this case, I believe it is even a bit more complicated...
The only two companies that have the "right's" to carry between Montreal and New York City are Greyhound Lines, Inc. (now wholly owned by Flixbus), and Adirondack Trailways. For Skyway to carry on a line run basis, (not a charter), is to be "supplementing" Greyhound Lines. So the lawyers will likely name Flix, Skyway, and Greyhound as defendants in any pending litigation.

They can't sue Greyhound and win anything. They had nothing to do with it. Skyway is a sister company of Greyhound. That does not make them one in the same.

NY Trailways, Adirondack Trailways and Pine Hill Trailways are 3 separate companies (certificate lettering differs, first 2 digits of the 5 digit fleet number differs) with a common owner to insulate each in case of catastrophe of one that would otherwise sink the entire enterprise, or so a driver told me.

NY Trailways, Adirondack Trailways and Pine Hill Trailways are 3 separate companies (certificate lettering differs, first 2 digits of the 5 digit fleet number differs) with a common owner to insulate each in case of catastrophe of one that would otherwise sink the entire enterprise, or so a driver told me.
A lot of way to insulate your enterprise from disaster. However the common owner has been addressed by the DOT and is not valid to keep running a transportation business. If a DOT regulated company gets shut down by the DOT, the company officers can’t file and start operating under a different registration. This is more due to unsafe practices (Drivers accident is one.) by the company and not large civil judgement.

Why is responsibility define as financial penalty and not criminal penalties?
The criminal penalties would probably just fall on the "grunt" workers who were the proximate cause of the problem, never on the people at the top who established the management culture or corporate structure that is specifically designed to allow said people at the top to evade responsibility. Limited liability of corporations was supposed to protect investors, who have minimal say in how a company is run, but it seems like it's being used to protect management instead.

Why do we the people tolerate a legal system designed to facilitate avoidance of responsibility by corporations so easily?
As far as I can see, the cause of the accident is not yet known, so it is maybe a but early to start pointing fingers at greedy corporations.

Back