Flagstaff station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I am on the Missouri River Runner in Hermann, MO. The Chief was late arriving in Kansas City this morning, and they did not hold the train for us.

It was a full refund or wait for the next train...

We visited the WWI museum up the hill from the station and took a city trolley tour. The food at the museum was good: they have a WWI sampler for lunch, i.e., chipped beef on toast, trench stew, trench goulash, and trench slaw.

Waiting out front of the Flagstaff Station from 1:30-3:00 was fine...there were 5 us who came in on the shuttle. And then a bus tour group showed up and packed the place to capacity and kept the one guy on duty hopping handling all the bags. Station wi-fi is VC@12345 if anyone wants to know.

A homeless man was curled up outside and a homeless woman came in to use the facilities. I was surprised how many people are driving around and even walking around downtown Flagstaff during those hours!

I went to the back of the train. It is nice looking out that window. But the one I had to look out of was very mud spattered. :-(

All the other windows were spotless but that one! I was surprised that the tracks look very narrow when looking at them from the back. They look so wide on the ground!

My husband reported early on that the toilet facilities were not in good shape so I hopped off the train at every opportunity to use the restrooms in the stations. I finally had no option between La Junta and Kansas City, and I found one that was ok...I survived.

I went inside the Lamy station (rustic), I ate the steak w/ 1 Tbsp. of vegetables (they were running out of veg. at 5:30 pm), did not enjoy my breakfast (rubber omelet, the bad cook must have been on duty). The serving ladies are all business, seem to want you to hurry up and move along! Ate with interesting people.

My husband is shellshocked from lack of sleep, woke up this morning, saying, "where am I? what day is it?" He muttered something about Auschwitz.

I can sleep w/o difficulty, so I have enjoyed the scenery and the train. The clientele in our car were a bit...rough looking. Half of the passengers in the car had the curtains pulled and slept the entire trip!

Kansas City was headquarters for Fred Harvey until 1968, so it was an unexpected treat to find myself there today. A man who runs Pierrepont's restaurant in the Station told me his grandmother had been a Harvey Girl and she had regaled him with stories of her experiences working for Fred Harvey. No one I asked knew where FH's offices were, so I had to guess. His name appeared several places in the station, so you'd think they'd be better versed on such an important figure.

I really appreciate all of your helpful advice -- and the two Fred Harvey jokes!

Thank you all for your interest and kind assistance!

Thanks for your report. I'm glad you did not get left behind at Lamy. i've only looked in that cozy place while on a driving trip. Running out of vegetables? C'mon Amtrak, get with it. Glad that My Fair City was agreeable with you.

Agree that kansas city would be a great to spend the day if SWC is running late. Everything's up to date in Kansas City and they've gone about as far as they can go.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back