First timer - a few questions - Chicago, CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And another general tipping question.... it will be me, and two kids - 10 & 7. How much to tip SCA?

Tipping - If you buy alchol, then a credit card would be ok since you have to pay for that anyway. For tipping only, I think it is best to bring cash, lots of singles and $5's. For me and my son, I usually do around $3 for breakfast and lunch and $5 for dinner.

For SCA - I usually do $10 a day assuming they do a good job. I might do a little more if I were in the family bedroom.

My 9 year old son and I did this trip last summer (From Truckee,CA to Chicago). It was a great trip.

If one of the children is very young and in a baby buggy, be careful not to lose your grip on the handle as you take it down the giant marble staircase entering Chicago Union Station.

I dunno where you heard that. Last printing was in November of last year. I stock my cash register with them. Its a free little way for customers to remember me by. Like 50¢ pieces used to be.

Thanks. Thought that the banks were going to stop stocking those and dollar coins last year for some reason. I love both of those currencies, so was bummed, but this is great news!

Have a great trip. One thing i always do on the train is to focus on enjoying the view out the window, and try to ignore any problems on the train....take ear plugs so you can shut out the noise whenever you want, dress in layers so you can add or remove to fit the degree of heat or a/c on the train. And most of all, if you get train attendants who are indifferent or even a bit surly, stay pleasant yourself and do NOT let them spoil your ride! Many attendants can be pleasant, and some even like to make your trip fun! But others can make it seem like you are an annoyance to them just by being on their train. Ignore those folks. Focus the kids on the WINDOWS and on this chance to see some of America !!!!

Have snacks like chips and Danish, soft drinks and such been eliminated from the met lounge?
No.
But you have to move fast when they are put out as the Snack Hounds will make them disappear FAST!

I've been to the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge half a dozen times. I always get a soda there, but I've NEVER seen food there. Not even a crumb. Who are these Snack Hounds? Are they Hobbits?
They are certainly not coach passengers. You know how THEY are.

Just to go backwards a bit :) Navy Pier is IMHO generally worth visiting, but take note that its under serious remodeling right now. The Ferris Wheel has no cars right now, so it's just sitting there. :unsure: My advice:

if you don't think you'll be back in Chicago again, it's worth it to go. See the Crystal Gardens (big greenhouse) and go out to the end of the pier (impressive old ballroom, more than a half-mile out into the lake).

If you do think you'll be back, save Navy Pier for when the remodeling is done.

Lastly, its generally NOT worth eating at Navy Pier. Everything there is noticeably more expensive than even the same restaurants/stores nearer Michigan Avenue, which itself isn't the bargain basement. :p If you must eat at Navy Pier, make it the Billy Goat because it's authentic Chicago (Bubba Gump?! Seriously?!) and relatively inexpensive. But Billy Goat has other locations, including the one under the Tribune on Michigan Ave.

I dunno where you heard that. Last printing was in November of last year. I stock my cash register with them. Its a free little way for customers to remember me by. Like 50¢ pieces used to be.
You can still get 50 cent pieces too. They haven't minted any in a while, but you can still buy them by the roll, since there are enough around.

You can still get 50 cent pieces too. They haven't minted any in a while, but you can still buy them by the roll, since there are enough around.
Likely appreciated only slightly more than 50 pennies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back