First Ever Train Ride

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My first train departs at 7:05pm so, I'm thinking the only meal they're going to serve on the train is breakfast since it arrives in CHI at 10:something AM Now, I don't eat breakfast. So I won't even be eating on that train. I plan on taking a subway sandwhich with me the night before for dinner. And I have an almost 4 hour layover in CHi - I'm sure there's plenty of places to grab a bite to eat for lunch.
While it is up to you certainly, you will indeed have an oportunity to eat diner that first night out of Albany. The dining car is still serving meals for all the passengers connecting from Boston. Most likely your attendant will make a reservation for you, just to hold a place in the diner for you. It is of course your option as to whether you want to wait that late for dinner, and then of course whether you want to take it in your room or in the diner. But the meal is included in the price of your ticket and you are entitled to it, should you wish it.

There are places in Chicago's Union Station to buy something to eat. Make sure that you check into the Metropolitan Lounge first when you arrive though, as they will both hold your luggage for you and tell you when to return for boarding the Empire Builder. You can even bring your food back to the lounge and eat it there if you like. They also offer free juice, soda, water in the lounge, as well as WiFi for your laptop.

The Empire builder departs at 2 something PM. So I'm guessing dinner that night - which I will have in the diner car. I'll be skipping breakfast - will probably get a snack out of the lounge car or where ever for lunch and either take dinner in my room or the diner car. I get off the train at 1:45am - of course that would be on time, but I doubt we'd end up being so late I'd have to grab another meal.
You are of course entitled to both breakfast and lunch, provided that it comes from the dining car. If you head to the cafe car, you get to pay for it. So even if you don't want to go to the dining car, you may still want to get lunch in your room.

I realize the attendant has lots to do and I wouldn't want to be an extra burdon on them. But if it's horribly uncomfortable for me to eat in the diner, I don't think it'll be too much of a hassle if they have to bring me one meal.
It's not that much of a hassle, I just wanted you to know that they do have a fair amount of work. And they are required to bring meals upon request.

But you should also know that some attendants resent having to do that, if they don't see a disability or other good reason for it. Other attendants are perfectly happy to do it and will even be quite prompt with their service. It all comes down to the nature of the attendant.

I'm not buying the rooms because of the free meals - I just can't see sitting in a chair, even if it does recline, for about 2.5 days - straight. It's great for the people that can do it and save the money, though.
I couldn't do that either, especially without a shower. I've never done an overnight on a train without a sleeper. Just my personal preferences. :)

Okay - so you don't think I'm going to run the poor guy/gal ragged. :)
My first train departs at 7:05pm so, I'm thinking the only meal they're going to serve on the train is breakfast since it arrives in CHI at 10:something AM Now, I don't eat breakfast. So I won't even be eating on that train. I plan on taking a subway sandwhich with me the night before for dinner. And I have an almost 4 hour layover in CHi - I'm sure there's plenty of places to grab a bite to eat for lunch.

The Empire builder departs at 2 something PM. So I'm guessing dinner that night - which I will have in the diner car. I'll be skipping breakfast - will probably get a snack out of the lounge car or where ever for lunch and either take dinner in my room or the diner car. I get off the train at 1:45am - of course that would be on time, but I doubt we'd end up being so late I'd have to grab another meal.

So, I'd only be taking a max of one meal in my room - and that's only a maybe. I wouldn't care when it was either - just whenever they had time to get to it. I'm not picky, demanding or hard to deal with. I'll get it myself and take it back to my room if I can.

I don't see where I'd be very mobile on a train so i'd need additional calories or anything. And if I did get hungry at some point, I'd just grab another snack from the snack car.

My basic plans are to sit glued to the windows with my ipod for as long as it's light out snapping as many pictures as I can, once it gets dark I'll watch a movie on the laptop and go to sleep or whatever. I'm even thinking of showering at night while it's dark as to not miss anything really interesting!

I realize the attendant has lots to do and I wouldn't want to be an extra burdon on them. But if it's horribly uncomfortable for me to eat in the diner, I don't think it'll be too much of a hassle if they have to bring me one meal.

I'm not buying the rooms because of the free meals - I just can't see sitting in a chair, even if it does recline, for about 2.5 days - straight. It's great for the people that can do it and save the money, though.

I just really want to be able to enjoy myself. I've flown all over, stateside and overseas, driven all over the US but I've always wanted to take a train.

Last night whild reading the boards some I found a link to the Lafayette Dinner Train in Woodstock NH. I'm already looking to book seats for October. I'm just really excited and would like to start riding trains more often. :)
http://www.conwayscenic.com/ in North COnway NH is another trip you should take.

As other posters have said try the diner at least once. At a minimum the people watching can be fun. IIRC.... you will likely, unless things have changed in the last 2 1/2 years(which is highly likely), be offered dinner. I usually travel coach from Syracuse NY to Chicago, because of the shorter length but one of the trips I took in 2004 a coworker and her husband where leaving on the same train but had been offered a upgrade to a roomette and had dinner as soon as the train left the Syracuse and this was after 10pm.

A couple of suggetions -

On a long trip I take two microfiber towels, auto detailing type, so I have something that I know will dry me. Hey I am a large guy.

Also look at http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...mberId=12500226 Rafters Orlando 2 Watersports Shoes as an alternative to flip flops while on the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whistler, Thanks for the tips! I actually have the Rafters Orlando Shoes :) Already planned on taking them as I expect to do some Kayaking while I'm in WA. I also bookmarked the site for the North Conway train. I've been up that way several times and never even noticed the train there!

AlanB, thanks for the tips on the extra tips on the train. I just figured that dinner would be finishing up by time I got on the train. But, I'll definitely eat on the train - I've heard such good things about the food I can't wait to actually try it!

Here's a bit more info on the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago.

Your sleeper tickets qualify you as a First Class passenger on Amtrak. As a first class passenger you are entitled to utilize Amtrak's first class lounge in Chicago. These lounges are a nice quiet refuge in the often-bustling train station. They have nice plush chairs, conference rooms, some have computer terminals, newspapers, TV's, free soft drinks, juices, coffee, tea and clean safe bathrooms. They also allow you to board your train before the rest of the masses.

In Chicago the lounge is called the "Metropolitan Lounge". It is located on the lower level of Union Station, which is also the track level. If you are standing in front of the Amtrak ticket windows, then the Amtrak waiting area is to your left. When you enter the main Amtrak waiting area through a sliding glass door, just walk forward and slightly to the left. There should be another sliding glass door along with a sign, unless they've changed the entrance in the last few months. Just show your tickets and relax.

They'll also give you a card that contains the time that you need to return to the lounge by, in order to board the train and not miss it. If you do leave the lounge, take this card with you as it is also your pass for reentering the lounge. Just wave it at the attendants as you walk in and one will usually look up and acknowledge you and the card. Note the Chicago lounge can be very busy and it sometimes can be hard to get a seat, but you still get the free stuff and priority boarding.

Note: They will make you leave your carry-on bags in the luggage room inside the lounge, you cannot take them to your seat due to the crowded nature of the lounge. There is a redcap manning this room who will give you a claim check for your bags, such that you can claim them shortly before you board the train. One nice advantage of this is the fact that you can park your carryon bags here, while you wander around Chicago and do lunch, assuming that your trains arrive on time.

The responses to your question are good ones. I would only add: definitely enjoy your trip!

The eye-level scenery, history and culture of all the various locales through which your trains will pass are certainly worth contemplating. You certainly can aboard a train with a professional doing all the "driving".

Do pack frugally yet carefully consider all that you might need but, only what you really will need. Be as organized and compact as possible-- it makes for a cozier ride in your personal compartment.

I let the interest of my fellow dining car passengers lead me as to conversation. Most passengers do develop a sort of community with each other on the train especially when seated next to each other. That's a civilizing aspect of train travel.

Remember, you are aboard a train. There is more than 180 years of experience of others going before you both as a passenger and in the operation of the railroad by its workers. There are certain timeless continuities of experience shared bv all who've traveled by train. That's something that could be appreciated even by the most un-interested mere traveler.

Draicun, have fun! And enjoy your stay in Washington. I've lived in the Spokane area all my life and though it might be a case of getting older and set in my ways :p but I wouldn't live anywhere else.

The dining car experience is definitely worth it, at least to try it out. I'm not at all outgoing....to the point that I've had friends, trying to be funny, accuse me of being stuck for an answer when someone says Hello to me :angry: ;) :lol: and being the type that gets lost in a crowd of two. :angry: ;) :lol: But I have found the experience very enjoyable. I've taken two long-distance trips recently and will be taking a third this fall and by the end of the trip, those that have been on the train for the duration greet each other like long-lost friends.

Best advice I can give.....enjoy and have fun!

JayPea, Thanks! I was actually born out there - well, in Tacoma. I'm looking forward to being back in that area for a few days and checking out the local events.

Mostly Cinnabon (Mochalatta's!!) & Arby's! The east coast kind of lacks in some areas.

I'll be giving the diner car a shot and hope to enjoy it. If it's really fun I might even go for breakfast & lunch just for the expierence.

Thanks, D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back