First Ever Train Ride

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going from NY to WA. This will be my first time ever on a train.

I'm actually in NH but only 2 and a half hours from Albany - where if I left from here I'd have something like a 9 hour layover. It's not as cheap as flying first class - but I'm hoping it will be fun and memorable.

I'm looking at booking the Roomette's for both trains (Albany to Chicago 16hrs over night & Chicago to Spokanne 38hrs).

I've been reading this site for a few hours now & it's brought up some questions.

Sleeper car attendants - I'm guessing you would tip these folks. What all do they do? I was planning on carrying very little cash and using my Debit Card for extra stuff. So I want to be sure I have enough to tip them. Generally what is a good tip?

Can I order my meals in my room - have them brought to me? I don't want to get seated next to someone who I might find offensive (ie, BO, loud, rude etc.). I just want to relax and enjoy the scenery. I figure if I want to mingle with people there is always the lounge car and what ever.

Finally, the first train is the 49 Lakeshore Limited - the 2nd train I have a choice on the 7 or 27 Empire Builder. What's the difference in the numbers? And anything anyone can tell me about either train would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

D

Sleeper car attendants - I'm guessing you would tip these folks. What all do they do? I was planning on carrying very little cash and using my Debit Card for extra stuff. So I want to be sure I have enough to tip them. Generally what is a good tip?
Generally the rule of thumb is $5 per night, but that is just a guideline. A lot depends on whether they do their job or not, and just how they go about doing it. Plus if you do want meals in your room, then more should be added to the tip for that.

Their general job includes greeting you upon boarding, explaining things about your room, setting up your room at night for sleeping, and returning it to the daytime configuration the following morning. They should also provide coffee and water in the common area, look after the shower and common toilets.

Can I order my meals in my room - have them brought to me? I don't want to get seated next to someone who I might find offensive (ie, BO, loud, rude etc.). I just want to relax and enjoy the scenery. I figure if I want to mingle with people there is always the lounge car and what ever.
Yes, you can do that, but you need to understand that it does place an extra strain on the attendant. It would be best not to take all of your meals in the room. And IMHO, you would be missing one of the better parts of riding the train, taking your meals in the dining car. In all of my travels, maybe once have I ever encountered someone with a BO problem in the diner. And I've never encountered someone who was loud, rude, or offensive.

If you do decide to take meals in your room, then be sure to add to the tip recommendation above. Note that you should also have some money for tipping the waiter/waitress in the dining car if you do go there to eat your meals.

Finally, the first train is the 49 Lakeshore Limited - the 2nd train I have a choice on the 7 or 27 Empire Builder. What's the difference in the numbers? And anything anyone can tell me about either train would be greatly appreciated!
Train #7 goes to Seattle Washington and train #27 goes to Portland Oregon. They run as one train from Chicago to Spokane Washington, where they split into two separate trains and continue to their ultimate destinations.

So depending on just where in the State of Washington you plan to go to, you may not have a choice of which train to ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going from NY to WA. This will be my first time ever on a train.
I'm actually in NH but only 2 and a half hours from Albany - where if I left from here I'd have something like a 9 hour layover. It's not as cheap as flying first class - but I'm hoping it will be fun and memorable.

I'm looking at booking the Roomette's for both trains (Albany to Chicago 16hrs over night & Chicago to Spokanne 38hrs).

I've been reading this site for a few hours now & it's brought up some questions.

Thanks!

D
The Sleeping Car attendants are responsible to take care of their car including changing the rooms from day to sleeping configuration, having refreshments available, helping with luggage, servicing the toilet areas, and bringing meals to passengers who wish to dine in their rooms. Tipping is usually $10 a night varying up and down depending the quality of the service.

You can order meals to be delivered to your room. Getting this service should be considered when you figure your tip. Many people like the communal seating of the dining car, but many do not. I can understand how you feel, but you might consider trying the diner once to see how it works out.

Trains 7 and 27 are the same train as far as Spokane. That is where the trains separate with the #7 cars heading to Seattle and #27 going to Portland. The Sleeping Cars for Seattle (#7) are next to the diner and the #27 sleeper is at the quieter rear of the train. So, if you want close to food, #7 is best. If distance from the train horn matters, then book #27. And, since they prices can vary between #7 and 27 rooms, you could simply choose the one that is lowest cost.

The $5 - $10 rule is good to know! I was thinking something like $25 to $50.

I guess it's just where I'm from. There seems to be a lot of people around with bad BO & most are rude & obnoxious. Nothing wrong if people don't want to bathe regularly - but I don't want to smell it.

Thanks for the info on the train numbers. I just checked and the rooms are all sold out on the 27 - so I guess I'll be listening to the hustle and bustle on the 7.

On a long trip you might have 6 (free) meals, which gives you the opportunity to meet at least 12 interesting travelers sharing your table. Take that chance, it is really good experience. Get the feeling on my Virtual Realty Website

Meeting other passengers in the diner is usually quite fun. I have traveled numerous times and have never met anyone who was unbearable. Remember, you will most likely be seated with other first class passengers and they tend to be fairly well behaved. :)

You don't have to become best friends, but I have met many interesting people over meals in the diner.

On a long trip you might have 6 (free) meals, which gives you the opportunity to meet at least 12 interesting travelers sharing your table. Take that chance, it is really good experience. Get the feeling on my Virtual Realty Website

You site is very informative! After seeing the size of the roomette - I checked on upgrading to a bedroom! You see 3.6 X 6.6 in black and white and you know it's small, but I guess I didn't think about how small it really was. Unfortunately they're all sold out months in advance. I'm guessing as long as I can find an electrical outlet somewhere else I wont be doing anything but sleeping in there.

A few more questions. What do you do with the stuff you bring on board? Is it safe to leave in my room? Is there a place to lock it up? And, I don't know if there are any other ladies here - but, the showers look small, is it possible to bend over and shave your legs? I know - stupid question. But I will be on the train for 3 days total and I saw the part about batteries - so my razor is out.

Thanks again!

D

You site is very informative! After seeing the size of the roomette - I checked on upgrading to a bedroom! You see 3.6 X 6.6 in black and white and you know it's small, but I guess I didn't think about how small it really was. Unfortunately they're all sold out months in advance. I'm guessing as long as I can find an electrical outlet somewhere else I wont be doing anything but sleeping in there.

A few more questions. What do you do with the stuff you bring on board? Is it safe to leave in my room? Is there a place to lock it up? And, I don't know if there are any other ladies here - but, the showers look small, is it possible to bend over and shave your legs? I know - stupid question. But I will be on the train for 3 days total and I saw the part about batteries - so my razor is out.

Thanks again!

D
The roomette is a cosy place. I am 6.6 tall and the bed was wonderful. There is quite a lot of space under the seats and also in the lower part of the garment rack and if you can get a roomette on the lower level then you can keep your suitcase right in the luggage rack next to the roomettes and the spacious shower and 3 more toilets are very near and covenient.

Thanks again!

D
For one person, the roomette should be just fine. You can sit on one seat, take you shoes off and put your feet up on the other seat. And even if a bedroom was available, you'll find the cost to be considerably more than what you've paid for the roomette. Plus you can keep your door open to make things feel a bit roomier. Finally you can always wander to the lounge car for a few hours or the diner for a meal to get out of the room.

As for your stuff, never leave a wallet or purse in the room if you are not there. The room cannot be locked from the outside. At night you can lock the door from the inside, so that you can feel safe and secure. Any other valuables, like an Ipod, laptop, or other electronic device should be safe in your room, just don't leave it out in plain site. Put it away, and then pull both the curtain and the door shut.

Luggage on the Lake Shore will go in your room, while on the Empire Builder most of it will go into the big luggage rack on the lower level of the car.

Finally as a guy, I can't say that I've ever tried it, but shaving in the shower would probably be difficult for two reasons. At least on the Lake Shore, you'd probably have a hard time bending over to reach your legs. It might be easier on the Empire Builder if you get one of the newly redesigned showers that has a small bench to sit on inside the shower.

The second problem though that I see, and frankly the bigger problem, is the idea of holding a straight razor on your legs while the train is moving, bouncing, and jumping at 79 MPH. You might well find yourself removing more than hair from your legs if the train lurches at the wrong moment. :eek:

Thanks again!

D
For one person, the roomette should be just fine. You can sit on one seat, take you shoes off and put your feet up on the other seat. And even if a bedroom was available, you'll find the cost to be considerably more than what you've paid for the roomette. Plus you can keep your door open to make things feel a bit roomier. Finally you can always wander to the lounge car for a few hours or the diner for a meal to get out of the room.

As for your stuff, never leave a wallet or purse in the room if you are not there. The room cannot be locked from the outside. At night you can lock the door from the inside, so that you can feel safe and secure. Any other valuables, like an Ipod, laptop, or other electronic device should be safe in your room, just don't leave it out in plain site. Put it away, and then pull both the curtain and the door shut.

Luggage on the Lake Shore will go in your room, while on the Empire Builder most of it will go into the big luggage rack on the lower level of the car.

Finally as a guy, I can't say that I've ever tried it, but shaving in the shower would probably be difficult for two reasons. At least on the Lake Shore, you'd probably have a hard time bending over to reach your legs. It might be easier on the Empire Builder if you get one of the newly redesigned showers that has a small bench to sit on inside the shower.

The second problem though that I see, and frankly the bigger problem, is the idea of holding a straight razor on your legs while the train is moving, bouncing, and jumping at 79 MPH. You might well find yourself removing more than hair from your legs if the train lurches at the wrong moment. :eek:
LOL! :lol: I never thought of that. They just don't make good recharble electric razors for women.

I think I'm in for more than I bargained for. I've flown several times - but have always wanted to take a long train trip.

The one bedroom I found available (but not until months after I need it) was going to be almost double the cost of the roomette - which is $578 on the empire builer. Another $360 for the Lakeshore limited - which has no bedrooms available at all for a while. All in all the train fare alone is $1,092. I don't really care if it's first class or coach - I just want to have a place to put my head at night, and a quite area I can retreat to to enjoy the scenery or watch a movie.

Either way, I really hope to enjoy the trip as I'm already looking at futrue train travels.

Thanks again!

D

LOL! :lol: I never thought of that. They just don't make good recharble electric razors for women.

I think I'm in for more than I bargained for. I've flown several times - but have always wanted to take a long train trip.
Again, I'm far from the best expert on this subject, but maybe you could look into a dipilatory cream or lotion. Or bring along a regular electric razor for women, since you will have access to power outlets in your room, the bathroom, and I believe that there is even one in the changing stall section of the shower room. Or find a good men's rechargable and bring it along.

The final option is to just wear pants until the trip is over. :lol:

Is ther any kind of dress code I should be aware of?

I'm planning on wearing lounge wear the entire trip if I can get away with it. Velour track pants, T's & flip flops pretty much - even for sleeping in case I need to go ... potty during the night as there is no toilet in my room on the empire builder.

I will also be driving back to NH after a few days in WA so I'm planning pure comfort clothes the entire trip with the exception of 2 or 3 outfits of real clothes.

I understand dressing for dinner and such - but is it okay to mosey around the train dressed down?

Alos - Cigarette stops? Please tell me there is at least a few?

Is ther any kind of dress code I should be aware of?
I'm planning on wearing lounge wear the entire trip if I can get away with it. Velour track pants, T's & flip flops pretty much - even for sleeping in case I need to go ... potty during the night as there is no toilet in my room on the empire builder.

I will also be driving back to NH after a few days in WA so I'm planning pure comfort clothes the entire trip with the exception of 2 or 3 outfits of real clothes.

I understand dressing for dinner and such - but is it okay to mosey around the train dressed down?

Alos - Cigarette stops? Please tell me there is at least a few?
First, yes, there are planned cigarette stops along the way. That's not to suggest that there will always be one close at hand when you happen to want one, but they tend to try and have one every 2 to 3 hours during the daylight hours and the first few hours of the evening. After 11PM though you can pretty much forget about a smoking stop until after 6:00 AM and that's dependant on the stops that are nearest those times.

Also if the train is running late, it is not uncommon to have a smoking stop either shortened or eliminated in an effort to help make up some time. Regardless of a short stop, or a long stop, don't wander far from the train and an open door. It's a real bummer to watch your train roll down the tracks with your luggage on it and without you. :( And it has happened! More than you might think too.

As for cloths, there is really no dress code on the train beyond that one must wear shirt and pants or shorts. That applies to guys too, they aren't allowed to wander around shirtless.

Flip flops are fine for the sleeping car itself, but are probably not recommended for walking between cars. I would suggest something a bit more sturdy as there are too many things to stub a toe on, as well as moving parts between the cars.

AlanB and Everyone else! You folks have been a great help! I am so glad to have found this board!!! Thank You!!

Embarrased to admit I didn't realize you actually had to walk out in the open to get from car to car! I thought that was just in the movies.

I'll be really glad when this trip is over and I know what to expect from now on :)

...Embarrased to admit I didn't realize you actually had to walk out in the open to get from car to car! I thought that was just in the movies.
You are not actually out in the open between cars. There is a flexible enclosure called a diaphragm (looks kind of like an accordion) that connects the cars and protects you from the weather and keeps you from feeling like you are outside.

...Embarrased to admit I didn't realize you actually had to walk out in the open to get from car to car! I thought that was just in the movies.
You are not actually out in the open between cars. There is a flexible enclosure called a diaphragm (looks kind of like an accordion) that connects the cars and protects you from the weather and keeps you from feeling like you are outside.

okay - I've seen those on the double long busses in Germany.

Someone should write a "Train Travel For Dummies" book!

Although if it is raining or snowing, a little bit of the weather can still leak into that diaphragm. So it can get slippery if there is inclimate weather.

I got shoes on my list, other than flip flops, for walking about the trains.

My list is getting pretty long. I'm actually glad that I have a few extra weeks to find stuff.

Sorry, one more stupid question.

I've been playing at the amtrak website some more to see what else I can do on my trip.

Anyhow, I just noticed that if I left on a Sunday instead of Monday I save over $100 - Or I can leave on Wednesday and save $155

Does it get cheaper as departure time aproaches or is there just no rhyme or reason to the pricing? Although I was looking to leave Aug 6th - but I might change that, so it still seems far away for the prices to drop.

Hi, Draicun. I'm always glad to see other ladies besides myself posting! I feel a bit compelled to respond to the question you had about having meals in your room. I have taken 2 long distance trips in the past year, once all by myself. These trips were from Albuquerque to Buffalo, NY. I had a total blast and felt very comfortable. However, having tried the dining car when I went on the first trip w/ my husband, I didn't much care for having to make small talk w/ strangers sitting right across from me. Plus, I herniated a disk last summer and I still have some problems walking. Going back and forth to the dining car is a little scarey because my leg is still sometimes a little wonky. Also, I think whether or not you would enjoy the dining car depends on your personality. If you are the outgoing sort who likes to meet and chat w/ people, then I would say you should try the dining room. I tend to be introverted and my job in the Human Services field requires me to "be on" for people constantly. It sometimes really wears me out. So, when I travel, I want to be left alone and not feel like I have to be bothered w/ people. I know that sounds awful, but it's the truth. I just get "peopled out." I also tend to attract "overly friendly men." Mainly because I'm too nice to tell them to buzz off. I'm certainly no prize that men drool over, I just tend to listen to people and the next thing I know, their glued to my hip. Gee, I'm really trying to be nice in my comments here and I don't mean at all to offend any of these nice folks who post on this board who I'm sure would be great co-passengars. So, please don't y'all gang up on me. I'm just trying to give one woman's perspective. Anyway, on my trip in March, I had ALL of my meals in my room and the attendants were most solicitious and happy to bring me my meals. I gave them 5 dollars for each meal and 10 dollars for each night. On several occasions, the attendant set my table and they were just real nice about it. I didn't get the sense that they were put out at all. So I would say that you should check out the dining car and see how you like it. You might not be as anti-social as I am. However, don't feel ashamed or worried about asking for your meals in your room. As long as you express consideration for the attendant (I usually asked them to bring me my meals when it was convenient for them and they would give me a pretty good window of time that I could choose from) and tip them nicely, go for it. So sorry to have rambled on this subject for so long, just thought you might like to hear from another female traveler. :)

Oh, and regarding smoke stops. On the SWC, which you won't be taking but I imagine all long distance trains are the same, the conductor goes on and on about "if you're caught smoking on the train you'll be put off." I think they really mean it from what I've read from other posts on here, plus the stong lecture we got on the train. As a former smoker, I can really sympathize w/ such a long time between smokes and it seems to me to be a really long time. I suggest considering taking along some nicorette and forget smoking! You have to be careful you don't overdo the nicotine between smoking and the gum, but believe me, the stops on the SWC seemed to be few and far between. So think about it, or use the opportunity to try to quit. B)

BTW, as far as shaving...do a good job of it before you leave and you shouldn't need to shave again for a few days. I'd not want to try to have a blade in my hand while the train rocks and rolls! :eek:

redsandal - thanks for taking the time to reply!!

My job puts me in the same position as you. Have to Be On for people about 14 hours a day so I'm really looking forward to my few days of solitude. I'm even leaving hubby at home for this specific reason.

I don't mind mingling or even being forced into a little small talk now and again. I just don't want to get stuck sitting next to somone loud or stinky while I'm trying to enjoy my meal.

I plan to try it out just once and if it doesn't suit me I am just going to eat in my room.

The tips you gave is exactly what I was thinking - $5 per meal plus $10 per night.

Thanks again!

D

Oh, and regarding smoke stops. On the SWC, which you won't be taking but I imagine all long distance trains are the same, the conductor goes on and on about "if you're caught smoking on the train you'll be put off." I think they really mean it from what I've read from other posts on here, plus the stong lecture we got on the train. As a former smoker, I can really sympathize w/ such a long time between smokes and it seems to me to be a really long time. I suggest considering taking along some nicorette and forget smoking! You have to be careful you don't overdo the nicotine between smoking and the gum, but believe me, the stops on the SWC seemed to be few and far between. So think about it, or use the opportunity to try to quit. B)
BTW, as far as shaving...do a good job of it before you leave and you shouldn't need to shave again for a few days. I'd not want to try to have a blade in my hand while the train rocks and rolls! :eek:

Yeah, I planned on skipping the shaving part while on the train!

I thought about using it as an excuse to quit but I will be driving back with my Mom, she wants to move back east but doesn't want to drive alone. So, in her truck, with her for about 4 or 5 days is just not something I could handle if I was already on edge from quitting.

A little more about conversation during meals. I've of course taken many a meal in the dining car. I've had table mates that ranged from extremely talkative right down to those that I didn't even get a hello or other greeting from.

I'm not the most outgoing person around new people and it usually takes a bit for me to really start talking. Get me going and you may not get me to shut up. :lol: But for me, getting started is really hard.

Where I'm going with all of this is, don't feel obligated to talk to others at the table if you don't want to. I would recommend at least a polite hello, but you can then just engross yourself in looking at the passing scenery out the window and don't have to carry on a conversation. And if you meet a real talker who just won't stop asking you questions, although most will trail off or talk with others at the table if you don't show any interest, there really is nothing wrong with politely saying "if you would be so kind, I would really just like to enjoy my meal."

Draicun, personally in your case based upon what you've shared here with us, I would suggest a mix. Take some meals in the diner, take some in your room for the privacy. This will give you more variety and get you out of the room. It also does make things easier on the sleeping car attendant.

After all please remember that he/she is responsable for getting passengers on and off the train at each stop, making up all of the beds in the car, returning all those beds back to their daytime configuration, changing the sheets and blankets on every bed before the last stop for the train, bringing meals to those who are handicapped or elderly and unable to make the journey to the diner, cleaning the car and the bathrooms, keeping fresh coffee available, and probably a few other things that I haven't even mentioned.

And they still have to find some time to eat, use the facilities, and try to get a little sleep along the way.

At the very least, I would certainly suggest giving the diner at least two chances if your first is unsatisfactory, before giving up entirely.

Okay - so you don't think I'm going to run the poor guy/gal ragged. :)

My first train departs at 7:05pm so, I'm thinking the only meal they're going to serve on the train is breakfast since it arrives in CHI at 10:something AM Now, I don't eat breakfast. So I won't even be eating on that train. I plan on taking a subway sandwhich with me the night before for dinner. And I have an almost 4 hour layover in CHi - I'm sure there's plenty of places to grab a bite to eat for lunch.

The Empire builder departs at 2 something PM. So I'm guessing dinner that night - which I will have in the diner car. I'll be skipping breakfast - will probably get a snack out of the lounge car or where ever for lunch and either take dinner in my room or the diner car. I get off the train at 1:45am - of course that would be on time, but I doubt we'd end up being so late I'd have to grab another meal.

So, I'd only be taking a max of one meal in my room - and that's only a maybe. I wouldn't care when it was either - just whenever they had time to get to it. I'm not picky, demanding or hard to deal with. I'll get it myself and take it back to my room if I can.

I don't see where I'd be very mobile on a train so i'd need additional calories or anything. And if I did get hungry at some point, I'd just grab another snack from the snack car.

My basic plans are to sit glued to the windows with my ipod for as long as it's light out snapping as many pictures as I can, once it gets dark I'll watch a movie on the laptop and go to sleep or whatever. I'm even thinking of showering at night while it's dark as to not miss anything really interesting!

I realize the attendant has lots to do and I wouldn't want to be an extra burdon on them. But if it's horribly uncomfortable for me to eat in the diner, I don't think it'll be too much of a hassle if they have to bring me one meal.

I'm not buying the rooms because of the free meals - I just can't see sitting in a chair, even if it does recline, for about 2.5 days - straight. It's great for the people that can do it and save the money, though.

I just really want to be able to enjoy myself. I've flown all over, stateside and overseas, driven all over the US but I've always wanted to take a train.

Last night whild reading the boards some I found a link to the Lafayette Dinner Train in Woodstock NH. I'm already looking to book seats for October. I'm just really excited and would like to start riding trains more often. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back