Felony Theft Aboard Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LisaMM

I'm posting here because after a lifetime of riding Amtrak, I had the worst and most costly experience of my life, and some of you may not know how Amtrak handles theft aboard its trains.

On a 60-mile, one-stop train journey, I had to check my luggage in the general area. I was transporting a new computer and padded it with clothing, etc. When I arrived at my destination, I discovered that the lock was gone and the computer taken--while I was sitting upstairs, thinking that my belongings were safe with Amtrak. That computer was my entire livelihood. $2000 gone in a matter of a couple of hours. This was not a "small" item. And, this is felony theft. Right under Amtrak's nose. Amazing.

The run-around I got from Amtrak was unbelievable; eventually, I found out that none of your belongings are safe on Amtrak. Because some passengers are not permitted to check their baggage, you just have to trust that your luggage won't be compromised and your valuables stolen. If something of yours gets taken ... it's just gone. You can even discover that your baggage has been tampered with in the middle of your trip, and Amtrak will not try to recover the stolen property. I had no clue how lax its theft policies were until now. I'm appalled that I trusted this service for so many years. And I'm wondering how many hands have filtered through my luggage, looking for things to take.

I won't be riding Amtrak again unless policies change. Greyhound is more expensive, but it does allow you to check baggage, and also require that you have a baggage ticket in hand to claim belongings. Similarly, airlines have policies in place that allow you to file a claim for lost or stolen luggage. My advice: If you continue to travel on Amtrak, don't take anything that you can't easily replace. Put anti-theft tracking devices on your electronics. Purchase a ticket for a private berth, if you have to, so you can keep an eye on large pieces of luggage. Anything in the general area is fair game for thieves. :(

Do you have homeowners or renters insurance? I had some CDs stolen out of my car once, and believe it or not, my renter's insurance covered their replacement at the time. If you have a $500 deductible it might be worth it to you to file a claim.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. :(

Here's the problem: My homeowner's will only cover it if it was stolen in my jurisdiction. My local APD won't take a police report, lacking jurisdiction to do so.

Amtrak is a quasi-governmental entity. So basically, it makes its own rules. Passengers' property rights are basically nil. I asked customer service why they couldn't search other passengers' luggage, and got some guff about it infringing on their rights. But, apparently, it's okay for my private property to be vandalized. I always wondered why so few people rode the train ... well, now I know!

I'm just glad I didn't encounter the thief when he/she was going through my luggage. That could have been very bad (and dangerous).

I'm sorry for your experience. I also suggest that you check your homeowners insurance

as you may have some coverage there. I usually book a roomette when I have luggage and

if possible, I check my luggage. However, I keep my computer with me in my room.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss and hope that you have some coverage that will help.

By the "general area" I assume you mean the open luggage storage areas in the cars. While many here have used those areas without incident, they are certainly not secure for storing luggage, and use of them is at the risk of the passenger. Amtrak has no control over what is put there, and has no real way of taking responsibility for losses. That area is deserted much of the time, and short of having the area as an enclosed locker with only the attendant having the key or combination, it is impossible to effectively secure. That is of zero comfort to your situation where you lost items of real value, but the bottom line is that nothing of value should be put in those storage areas.

Losses from the area are not common, but they do happen. I was on the CZ a few years ago. The train stopped at Winter Park. A couple leaving from my car found their luggage missing from the storage area. Their two suitcases with virtually all the clothes they had for their vacation were gone. The train paused a few minutes while a futile effort was made to find the luggage, but in the end the couple was left at Winter Park with no luggage: and it was January and snowing to beat the band.

Amtrak could certainly do a better job of clearly identifying their disclaiming of liability for losses from the luggage storage areas. The fact that Amtrak employees help passengers put luggage in those areas compounds the issue by giving passengers the impression that Amtrak then takes responsibility. But, Amtrak does not assume liability for losses, and unless someone wins a case that disputes that, it is what it is.

I never use the common area to store luggage. Now that's easy for me because my wife and I are renowned light packers, but the best course is to keep anything of value in your room or in the rack above you in coach. As you sadly know, leaving anything of value in the common storage area is not a wise thing to do.

Amtrak could certainly do a better job of clearly identifying their disclaiming of liability for losses from the luggage storage areas. The fact that Amtrak employees help passengers put luggage in those areas compounds the issue by giving passengers the impression that Amtrak then takes responsibility. But, Amtrak does not assume liability for losses, and unless someone wins a case that disputes that, it is what it is.
Amtrak could also give people an option of checking baggage. Obviously, this would have been my preference. Who wants to transport a suitcase with a computer in it in an open area? I certainly don't, but my other choices are, what, send it home Federal Express? At the same time, I'm prohibited from carrying it upstairs, as it wouldn't fit in the overhead compartment. This puts the passenger in an impossible position of not being able to securely transport his or her belongings. There's very little "due diligence" to be done.

I think back to all of the holidays and the families who stowed new flat-screened t.v.s, video game consoles and other pricey stuff in that open area, right in the box. I can't imagine how many thefts have occurred on Amtrak during the holidays. At the same time, I assumed that Amtrak would assume some responsibility, as I acted at its bequest and not my own.

Amtrak could also give people an option of checking baggage. They are not going to give every one horse stop checked baggage. The economics don't work out

Who wants to transport a suitcase with a computer in it in an open area? I certainly don't, but my other choices are, what, send it home Federal Express? Carry a small backpack with your valuables in it and keep it with you whenever you move between cars. This is what I do and have never had any problems with my valuables.

At the same time, I'm prohibited from carrying it upstairs, as it wouldn't fit in the overhead compartment. This puts the passenger in an impossible position of not being able to securely transport his or her belongings. Get a smaller suitcase?

I think back to all of the holidays and the families who stowed new flat-screened t.v.s, video game consoles and other pricey stuff in that open area, right in the box. I can't imagine how many thefts have occurred on Amtrak during the holidays. Anyone who leaves valuables down there and assumes that a cloth suitcase is secure is just asking for trouble.

At the same time, I assumed that Amtrak would assume some responsibility, as I acted at its bequest and not my own. They didn't take control of your luggage, you were not given a claim tag so it was carry on just like the rest.

While thefts don't happen often on the train, you are the one who let this happen at such a extreme consequence.

While I use the general luggage storage area frequently, I NEVER put anything of great value in the bags I keep down there. The "good stuff", my laptop, scanner, Zune, camera, etc, go into my room, and I am comfortable with leaving them in there, hidden, despite the lack of locks (don't want to restart that discussion). When I am in coach, I am usually less burdened, and whatever I have of value stays with me.

That isn't to say I wouldn't be upset to lose my clothes, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Theft discouraging packing hint: Dirty underwear ON TOP. :cool:

BTW, I ride a lot, and most trains I ride have pretty good load factors. How "few" people ride is more often a function of lack of capacity than lack of demand on many if not most existing routes.

Also, you didn't check it although at your station it appears that wasn't an option. In any case, since it wasn't checked, Amtrak didn't assume "care, custody and control." And so didn't assume liability, either. You had the responsiblity to look out for your stuff, and keep your work-related laptop with you, since it obviously was important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greyhound is more expensive, but it does allow you to check baggage, and also require that you have a baggage ticket in hand to claim belongings. Similarly, airlines have policies in place that allow you to file a claim for lost or stolen luggage.
Have you actually checked the limitations on both Greyhound and airlines????

I don't think either would cover a $2,000 claim, especially when the luggage case itself wasn't stolen or lost.

While thefts don't happen often on the train, you are the one who let this happen at such a extreme consequence.
Wow! So I'm solely responsible, huh? Not the thief who took my computer? He just couldn't help himself, huh? You sound like you work for Amtrak!

:giggle:

Wow! So I'm solely responsible, huh? Not the thief who took my computer? He just couldn't help himself, huh? You sound like you work for Amtrak!

:giggle:
Yes, you ARE responsible (the previous poster said NOTHING about you being SOLELY responsible). Anyone who leaves such valuable possessions in a bag not within their sight is a nimrod.

Well I knew this was going to go there quickly, but I also would never leave a laptop out of my sight on the train. And I am surprised that you had a bag that wouldn't fit in the overhead? My rollerboard suitcase easily fits above the seat on amtrak, but I always pack my laptop in a special bag that I carry with me at all times. Sadly, those luggage areas are not secure and thus, don't leave anything of value in them.

Of course, half of the posters on this board will tell you that it is no problem to leave your laptop in your roomette or your bedroom (with doors that do not lock) while you are in the diner, so take what you hear about security with a grain of salt.

Well I knew this was going to go there quickly, but I also would never leave a laptop out of my sight on the train. And I am surprised that you had a bag that wouldn't fit in the overhead? My rollerboard suitcase easily fits above the seat on amtrak, but I always pack my laptop in a special bag that I carry with me at all times. Sadly, those luggage areas are not secure and thus, don't leave anything of value in them.

Of course, half of the posters on this board will tell you that it is no problem to leave your laptop in your roomette or your bedroom (with doors that do not lock) while you are in the diner, so take what you hear about security with a grain of salt.
Yes, they'll tell you that it's no problem, but they almost invariably tell you (as I would, and as I do when I'm in a sleeper compartment) that you keep it completely out of sight.

I feel for your loss; hopefully this may help you get some re-imbursement. Amtrak has its own police department and they are capable of writing a stolen item report. You may have to twist a few arms but it has been done in the past. Good luck and don't give up on Amtrak because, unfortunately, there are thieves on every mode of transportation~ I had a male airline attendant, in first class, stash a leather jacket I had just bought some years ago. When I inquired as to the wherabouts a female stewardess couldn't contain herself. The culprit was fired and charged.

I'm very very sorry that happened to you. While I can't say that I see how Amtrak is possibly at fault, I do feel bad for you. I just took a very long trip on Amtrak and my laptop was constantly on my mind ha. So I know exactly how you must feel. I have to ask.. did you ever take your computer out of your bag during your trip? It seems that someone must have known your bag had something valuable in it? Or was the theif just that smart?

I had a theft experience traveling from Philadelphia to Boston, around 1998-1999. I checked a bag in Philly, and when I picked it up in Boston, it was missing some compact discs and cassette tapes. Theft by Amtrak employees while the bag was checked.

Yes, they'll tell you that it's no problem, but they almost invariably tell you (as I would, and as I do when I'm in a sleeper compartment) that you keep it completely out of sight.
Like this lady apparently did? (unless I missed something)
There's a huge difference between leaving something unattended in your room in a sleeping car (which I have done and will continue to do) and leaving it in a common area unsupervised.

It's strange how everyone assumes that this was a laptop and that would neatly fit in a computer bag or overhead ...

Direct from Amtrak's baggage policy found here.

The following kinds of items are prohibited as both checked and carry-on baggage:
Fragile and/or valuable items, including but not limited to electronic equipment.(Laptop computers and handheld devices may be carried onboard; however, Amtrak accepts no liability for damage.) Fragile and/or valuable items, including but not limited to electronic equipment.(Laptop computers and handheld devices may be carried onboard; however, Amtrak accepts no liability for damage.)
Amtrak disclaims liability for carry-on baggage, even if Amtrak personnel has handled or assisted in loading or unloading the baggage.

Laptops, cameras and other valuable electronic items should always be safeguarded by keeping them with you or in your sleeper. Its not your fault that they were stolen but the idea is to mimimize loss. Bad people are a part of life. They can be found everywhere, in government, in the schools, at work, in the church, on Amtak and on the busses etc. Theft will not stop unless we pass laws that would execute the guilty thieves.

Actually, I disagree with part of that last sentiment. We already have more laws on the books than anybody can count, and they still haven't eliminated crime.

I'm very very sorry that happened to you. While I can't say that I see how Amtrak is possibly at fault, I do feel bad for you. I just took a very long trip on Amtrak and my laptop was constantly on my mind ha. So I know exactly how you must feel. I have to ask.. did you ever take your computer out of your bag during your trip? It seems that someone must have known your bag had something valuable in it? Or was the theif just that smart?
My guess: 1) locked 2) heavy 3) medium-large. Maybe the thief picked it up and jiggled it enough to ascertain that there was something of a very dense mass inside?

Now, if it had been a monitor, I would have really cried.

I think that assuming a computer is a laptop is a fair assumption in context. I don't think most people would assume you are lugging a tower computer onto a train when you say "computer" unless you specifically say so.

And it would not have done you any good even if you had the option of checking it. Amtrak's checked baggage policies specifically exclude electronics. If you had checked it, and they dropped it and ruined it they still would have denied the claim because they specifically tell you they won't accept electronics in checked baggage. The only way you would have gotten coverage is to have shipped it via Amtrak Express and paid for shipping and insurance (if Amtrak still has Amtrak Express). I seriously doubt Greyhound or an airline would have covered your computer as either checked or carried on. Most airlines have policies similar to Amtrak in what is acceptable in checked baggage. In fact, when TSA would have x-rayed a checked bag with a tower computer inside, I wonder what would happen? They tend not to like things with dense masses in them (the drives) and bunches of wires. I think chances are good you would have been denied boarding or would have to abandon the thing at the airport.

And also, the very fact it was a tower probably made it more obvious to the thieves.

You left a large, valuable piece of electronics in an open unsupervised area that is obviously unsupervised. You took your chances, and lost. Amtrak isn't to blame for your lack of judgement. Next time, use UPS to ship your tower, pay for it, and get the declared value insurance on it.

If you don't believe us, $2000 is within the limit of small claims court in most places. Sue Amtrak to recover the value of the computer. See what the judge says -- if he can stop laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back