Favorite Train/Transportation Movies

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aloha

A credit to the Cinematographer is blending locations. Portions of Unstoppable was filmed in Southern California at the Filmore and Western Railway http://www.fwry.com/ If you go to their credits page you will be surprised by the number and names listed.

Aloha

A credit to the Cinematographer is blending locations. Portions of Unstoppable was filmed in Southern California at the Filmore and Western Railway http://www.fwry.com/ If you go to their credits page you will be surprised by the number and names listed.
It looks like Fillmore supplied some props for Unstoppable but no real filming. It would take a lot to change So Cal into WV, PA or Ohio. I just spent two weeks in So Cal and love it but very different than home....WV!

A few others that are worthy of a mention are:

• Murder on the Orient Express
  • Von Ryan's Express
Not a train movie per se, but some of the sequences involving trains in Doctor Zhivago are classic.

And then there is of course the Taking of Pelham 123.

There are some very nice and authentic train scenes in The Jewel in the Crown and Gandhi too.

The rail sequences in Gandhi were filmed on the Garhi Harsaru - Farrukhnagar (then) Metre Gauge branch off of my old stomping grounds - the Delhi Jn. - Bikaner route via Rewari and Loharu. Loharu was my home station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill stick with "North by Northwest" even though the ending has Cary and Eva Maries Train entering a Tunnel on the way back to New York (Supposedly on the Broadway Limited) but an SP
Train is Clearly what is Shown!! ^_^

Another one I thought of that has alot of train scenes is "The Greatest Show on Earth." It has many circus train shots and shows what Ringling Brothers circus was like when it was still under the big top in the 1950s.

Von Ryan's Express can be watched instantly on Netflix. I highly recommend this if you like suspense, war type movies (setting is 1943 Italy during world war 2). It is a very good movie in my opinion and one of my favorites.

Since the topic includes transportation, Airplane!

- What's the vector, Victor?

- I picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue

- ..and don't call me Shirley

I'll have to find a copy of Murder on the Orient Express. I read the book while riding the SWC a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

One of the most hilarious films of all time was "Some Like It Hot", starring Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, and Jack Lemmon. Great scene in a standard Pullman sleeper. Another was "42nd Street", a musical with a scene in a sleeper while 'Shuffling off to Buffalo'.....

Mention was made of "Silver Streak"....but how many of you have seen or even heard of the 1934 RKO version starring the Burlington Zephyr carrying an Iron Lung on a transcontinental life-saving mission to the Boulder Dam site to save the life of the railroad president's son? A neat melodrama.

How about the cliff-hanger serial "Hurricane Express" starring a very young John Wayne?

Another hilarious 'madcap' comedy starred Claudette Colbert in "The Palm Beach Story" set on the Florida Special....

There are lots more from that era, when railroad travel was the "Only Way To Travel"...... :)

though not a movie, I remember a few Three Stooges shorts that had train trips. Some had sleepers and others were in coach. I know they are not movies, but shorts were the movies of the day.

"Airplane!" -- not just one of my favorite transportation movies, but one of my favorite movies of all time.

(It's a parody of an earlier movie called "Zero Hour," which shows up on TCM from time to time.)
Ditto! It's got a Million of 'em,I especially like the Inflight Movie being Aircraft Crashes and the TV Actress that talks "Jive" with the Black Guys! The Cockpit Scenes are also Classic! (ie Kareem Abdul Jabar as the Co-Pilot "Roger Murdock!" :lol:

Airplane is one of our favorite movies. We watch it every few months. I haven't seen Airplane II in a long time, but I like that one too.

Although Kentucky Fried Movie was a bit of a dud for me, probably because random skits don't easily translate into feature length gold, Airplane! proved to be a truly unique accomplishment in the world of comedic movies. To this day I still quote lines from time to time and find myself noticing little things I had somehow missed or forgotten previously, such as the background sounds of a propeller aircraft seamlessly merged with the visuals of a jetliner. Airplane II was fun but didn't quite live up to the comedic genius of the original. After the hilarious Naked Gun series the Zucker brothers had reached comedic fame but it was Airplane! that set the bar the highest, at least so far as I was concerned.

...To this day I still quote lines from time to time and find myself noticing little things I had somehow missed or forgotten previously, such as the background sounds of a propeller aircraft seamlessly merged with the visuals of a jetliner. ...
YES!!! I've mentioned that to my wife. Some of Airplane! is in your face humor, and other humor is very subtle, but no less effective.

Back