Favorite snacks to take on a train LH or SH

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CheeseIts crackers - removed from box and put into plastic zipper bag for easier packing.

Chex mixes - homemade, of course.

Also, a sub from a local deli makes a good meal.

I'm a big fan of caviar (from my moniker, you can tell I've spent a fair amount of time in Russia). The best caviar made in America, in my opinion, comes from of all places, the Chamber of Commerce of Williston, No. Dak. They process sturgeon caught in the Missouri River. Anyway, the Chamber of Commerce office is in the National Guard armory, just a few yards from the train station. I've always wanted to order a tin of caviar to meet me at the Williston station some time when I'm heading west on the Empire Builder (east doesn't work because it's too late). I can't imagine a better way of traversing the steppes, excuse me the prairies, of Montana than sitting with Mrs. Ispolkom in my compartment, sipping champagne and eating caviar. Maybe when we go to Seattle for the Wagner Ring cycle in 2013.

For now, we settle for mixed nuts and martinis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beef Jerky, Slim Jims (Meat Gum) and Smokehouse Almonds. Some Gray Goose citron disquised in a water bottle.

I find anything that gives me protein/carbs/small amt of fat work well to keep hunger away.

My favorites are the South Beach Diet High Protein Cereal Bars.

I'll also pack almonds and individually wrapped mozzarella string cheese (these need more than 24 hours to spoil at room temperature.. probably because the package is hermetically sealed and they process the heck out of the product.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back