Energy Plus electric provider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffW

Train Attendant
Hello, all. Now that we're moved and settled, I'm recalling some of the Energy Plus fliers I've gotten in the mail. Here in NY State (and a few others), it is possible to choose a different electricity provider. From what I understand, it seems as if everything remains the same, I just get a bill from a different provider. The same people (in my case, National Grid) will continue to service my lines and fix problems.

Do any of you have any experience with Energy Plus? I've read various reports online (many duplicates...), most of which are quite negative. But I also keep in mind that most people post reviews online as a way to vent, which is why we see overwhelmingly bad reviews on many good items. That's why I'd be interested in hearing some of your opinions: that way I don't dismiss it outright.

From what I see, it is necessary to choose EP as the provider for two months, and then I get 5000 points in addition to continuous points on electricity charges.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Energy Plus is a power marketer. In the world of deregulated electric power, what Energy Plus does is contract for power supply from generation companies, and then sell the power to end-use consumers, like you.

The concept of electric power deregulation is that the energy delivery function (wires and cables coming to your home) is separated from the energy supply function (the generating stations). The delivery function – in your case performed by National Grid – is a regulated monopoly just as utilities have been for years. The supply function is now largely unregulated. You have no choice of who your delivery company is. It is whatever company is your local utility. But, you can chose who you want to buy power from. Energy Plus is one of those choices. If you elect to do nothing, National Grid becomes your supplier by default. But, if you choose Energy Plus, they become your supplier. In theory, marketers like Energy Plus should have a lower price for power supply than the delivery utility since the utility has to also buy from power marketers, and add a profit adder to the marketer’s price for its trouble.

Whether you buy from Energy Plus or continue to have National Grid be your default supplier should make little practical difference. You will not get a separate bill from Energy Plus. Energy Plus will bill you through National Grid on your regular monthly electric bill. Any typical power problems will still be handled by National Grid. The only difference will be on the supply part of the National Grid bill which will show Energy Plus as your supplier.

If the numbers work out for you, changing to Energy Plus (or any other supplier) should be a non-event. However, make sure you know all the dollars involved and if they can change without notice. With National Grid, you pretty much know the deal. With Energy Plus, much less so. It is a financial decision.

For what it's worth: I still use my utility as supplier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. Most of what you say is vaguely what I suspected. In the past I've always used the local utility, and I figure that I'll probably remain with the same company. The general complaint about Energy Plus that I read most often is that the price is not fixed (and frequently runs twice that of the other options).

Thanks for your clarifications.

I considered Energy Plus as well until I googled reviews of customer experiences. Suffice it to say that I didn't take up the offer...and hit the "thumbs-down" button on the AGR front page when it shows up.

I considered Energy Plus as well until I googled reviews of customer experiences. Suffice it to say that I didn't take up the offer...and hit the "thumbs-down" button on the AGR front page when it shows up.
That's a relief--I'm not the only one who noticed the reviews.

Thanks for your input!

Possible conflict of interest as I work for a direct competitor to Energy Plus, but it is only a "good deal" if the price per KWH of generation is equal or below your current rate.

I saw the bad reviews too, but took a chance. I ordered 100% wind-generated, and pay only a tiny amount more than the rate I was paying BGE for "regular" energy.

Other companies I looked at were substantially higher for "green" power, but I'll DEF keep an eye on my monthly BGE bill.

Living in MD may offer me some protections vis a vi the rate they are allowed to charge, dunno. But I'll keep an eagle eye on the bill.

So far I've racked up over 10,000 points, for less than three mos service.

NOTE: I live in an "all electric house". No natural gas ava. So my dryer, hot water heater, stove/oven, etc., are all electric. Suffice to say, I keep an eye on electric rates, but still pay well north of $500 a month. (Add the hot tub, three teenagers, wife who likes to keep the house at 72 in the summer and 78 in the winter...........AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)

Possible conflict of interest as I work for a direct competitor to Energy Plus, but it is only a "good deal" if the price per KWH of generation is equal or below your current rate.
the initial offer is lower per kwh than what I'm paying now, but it states that the initial offer could increase after the first month. Increase to what is the scary part. also are they pretty prompt posting points?

If you're not locked into a contract and can cancel at any time. Rack up as many points as you can then jump ship if the rates go up. They are counting on you to not watch the generation price.

If you're not locked into a contract and can cancel at any time. Rack up as many points as you can then jump ship if the rates go up. They are counting on you to not watch the generation price.
Bingo, like so many internet "Freebies" that one receives an "offer" to sign up for, first month free, then you can "canx at any time", and a significant majority of people do NOT canx, ever.

Back