Empire Builders settling into better timekeeping for the Summer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious as to why you didn't just book a hotel near CUS and reserve on the next day's train.
My conference starts PM on the 19th. The CL gets me into Wash DC with about 4 hours to spare. If I had to wait an entire another day I would miss not only the first evening of the conference, but most of day two as well.

Hindsight is always 20-20 and perhaps I should have known that the EBs would possibly let me down and just built in an extra day in Chi-town, but that is both expensive and unfortunately this time I did not have any other business in that area to conduct.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see #8 has finally made it into MN now, running about 12 hours behind--good grief. I don't see this train ready to go by 2 PM tomorrow if it arrives at 4 AM in the morning!!
So far we've had freight delays, wind delays, the crew expired?, we've slowed down for a fire right next to the track, and we've had to stop at random train crossings where people blew through the barriers (those were more novelty than actual time loss in comparison to just spending half my life in North Dakota). We're also stopping somewhere in MN for a half hour to pick up an engine and some private cars. They basically warned us that we're so late now there could be more delays as the on-time trains maneuver around us.

I'm not really complaining as I have nowhere to be (and am sitting here very happy with myself for ignoring the moment of frugality I had when contemplating whether to try this trip coach). They're feeding everyone (coach included) a complimentary dinner of beef stew.

Amtrak says #8 should arrive some time after 4 AM Tuesday morning. My BNSF guy says he thinks it may be closer to 6 AM. Who knows you might get breakfast on the train!! Just kidding-I hope. I do NOT think this train is going to get turned around in time for an on time departure tomorrow. Meanwhile #7 is running well over 4 hours late now too. Not a good day for Amtrak on a number of issues.

I guess we'll find out, but I'd say a 3 hour departure delay is a good bet. I think the CZ had a similar delay from this past summer when it arrived in EMY extremely late.

This train certainly got its share of bad luck.

Wow... But at the risk of being naively optimistic, doesn't all the extra trackwork that BNSF got done this fall, because of the unsually good weather, mean that come spring things will be better than they would have otherwise? I realize trackwork has little if anything to do with this 12 hr delay but I'd like to think some positive thoughts.

Thanks

Wow... But at the risk of being naively optimistic, doesn't all the extra trackwork that BNSF got done this fall, because of the unsually good weather, mean that come spring things will be better than they would have otherwise? I realize trackwork has little if anything to do with this 12 hr delay but I'd like to think some positive thoughts.

Thanks
All of our delays have been from weird stuff. The wind delay was almost all of it, we literally just sat around in North Dakota for over 8 hours...thankfully at night! I slept through all of it...I went to bed "next stop Minot" and woke up "we're a mile outside Minot!" Since my last post we did accidentally get switched (is that a term) in the wrong direction when leaving the MN stop with the new cars, so now we're a little more behind.

Well, I see #8 arrived in CHI-town around 4:30 AM today. Could have been worse........let's see when #7 departs CHI today.

#7 looks to arrive about 3 1/2 hours behind in SEA. Hmmmm, could be a big challenge to get that sucker out on time as well

Overall - living near MSP -

It is still true that most Eastbound connections from the EB are broken -- maybe the LSL and the CONO might possibly work. Or not.

Overall - Empire Builder has got a lot better OTP - but - East-bound connections -- never trust. West-bound - the CS connection at Portland usually works. Or might not.

I've been looking at the details, and hoping, but eastbound from MSP on the Builder -- naah - fly or Megabus to Chi if you need an eastward connection from MSP.
I checked random dates in November and April; and amtrak.com (crippled version) does allow the connection. I'm wondering if they still run a bus from MSP if the EB is very late.

Well, I see #8 arrived in CHI-town around 4:30 AM today. Could have been worse........let's see when #7 departs CHI today.

#7 looks to arrive about 3 1/2 hours behind in SEA. Hmmmm, could be a big challenge to get that sucker out on time as well
Departed CHI on time at 2:15 PM CDT

Someone pulled the proverbial rabbit out of the hat--bravo!!! Now will today's #8 make it to CHI under 2 hours late?
#8 and #28 are about 2 hours down on their way to Spokane - guessing probably not under 2 hours late @ CHI but could be better if all goes well (what's the "fingers-crossed emo-thing"?)

As for #7(13) - I saw it roll past Saint Anthony (7miles west of SPUD) on-time tonight at 22:39, led by engines 184 and 164 (engines had different paint jobs never noticed that before but - meh (unless one of those engines is a potential loser like some have been lately))

With luck, late October could settle down to fairly decent times like the first week of the month was - as posted upthread. And winter could be better still. Yeah, Believe when see and all that.

Overall - living near MSP -

It is still true that most Eastbound connections from the EB are broken -- maybe the LSL and the CONO might possibly work. Or not.

Overall - Empire Builder has got a lot better OTP - but - East-bound connections -- never trust. West-bound - the CS connection at Portland usually works. Or might not.

I've been looking at the details, and hoping, but eastbound from MSP on the Builder -- naah - fly or Megabus to Chi if you need an eastward connection from MSP.
I checked random dates in November and April; and amtrak.com (crippled version) does allow the connection. I'm wondering if they still run a bus from MSP if the EB is very late.
About the MSP-CHI bus when $8 is late - dunno. I'm guessing not.

Does anyone know more about that?

As for #7(13) - I saw it roll past Saint Anthony (7miles west of SPUD) on-time tonight at 22:39, led by engines 184 and 164 (engines had different paint jobs never noticed that before but - meh (unless one of those engines is a potential loser like some have been lately))
AMTK 184 is one of the fortieth anniversary engines. Specifically, its the one in the Phase IV paint scheme.

It was just in Minnesota this past weekend where it provided head-end power for an excursion pulled by steam locomotive Milwaukee Road 261. Example video below is from Delay In Block Productions on YouTube.

AMTK 184 is one of the fortieth anniversary engines. Specifically, its the one in the Phase IV paint scheme.

It was just in Minnesota this past weekend where it provided head-end power for an excursion pulled by steam locomotive Milwaukee Road 261. Example video below is from Delay In Block Productions on YouTube.

Thanks for that info and photo -- unfortunately for me, scheduling conflicts mean I can't ride the 261 this year. Maybe next year. Love the 261

Thanks
All of our delays have been from weird stuff. The wind delay was almost all of it, we literally just sat around in North Dakota for over 8 hours...thankfully at night! I slept through all of it...I went to bed "next stop Minot" and woke up "we're a mile outside Minot!" Since my last post we did accidentally get switched (is that a term) in the wrong direction when leaving the MN stop with the new cars, so now we're a little more behind.
"Weird stuff" no kidding! Thanks for the on-line reporting.

BNSF is doing construction in eastern MT, which, according to my local guy, is causing about 60-75 minute delays in BOTH directions.
But, hey man, it looks SO MUCH better -- for now, just hoping but --

no fires, no floods, some trackwork, some more traffic, and some track improvements

I won't say that the worst is over, but I'll keep following this thread for sure.

Thanks montana for your postings.

Currently on #8, stopped just west of MSP. Just about an hour late too!! Yippie. We lost almost 2 hours in the same area in eastern MT that has single track and made up a bit overnight. We had to stop three times for heavy fright traffic and the westbound EB yesterday PM, not bad. So far no major active construction along the entire route, so it appears BNSF has wrapped up just about everything for this year. Both Amtrak and BNSF appear to be making a good effort to get the EBs thru the freight traffic challenges. I was a little surprised to see the amount of freights yesterday. The busiest I have seen this route all year. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we don't lose any more time so I can make my CL connection this evening.

Currently on #8, stopped just west of MSP. Just about an hour late too!! Yippie. We lost almost 2 hours in the same area in eastern MT that has single track and made up a bit overnight. We had to stop three times for heavy fright traffic and the westbound EB yesterday PM, not bad. So far no major active construction along the entire route, so it appears BNSF has wrapped up just about everything for this year. Both Amtrak and BNSF appear to be making a good effort to get the EBs thru the freight traffic challenges. I was a little surprised to see the amount of freights yesterday. The busiest I have seen this route all year. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we don't lose any more time so I can make my CL connection this evening.
I have a good guess where #8 paused west of SPUD. Sorry was sleeping didn't wave (slept late Sunday, and #8 was less than 2 hours late). The good news here in MSP is that there's lots fewer freights parked on the main lately.

Amtrak 7 and 8 doing good last few days, but we'll see how that goes.

Best wishes for your eastbound connection - looking good so far. Bon voyage!

Is it possible that BNSF's few billion investment is starting to pay off? Hope so.

Just by way of info, they are still doing double track work in Minnesota, two stretches between St. Paul and Staples. They have also completed CTC on the whole subdivision, but the MOW work causes trains to bunch up at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back