Empire Builder Summer Blues Started Early this year

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't busitute people already on the train, they simply send a bus to St. Paul to leave on time at 7:55am for passengers going only between MSP and CHI, I don't know if the bus also makes intermediate stops or they have a separate buses for that. I arrived on the EB a few years ago (St. Paul was my final destination of the day, have friends there so my two trips on the EB I broke-up there) signs on the doors into Midway Station (handwritten of course said): Train #8/28 due at 3:00pm, Buses Left On Time.

I was continuing from Midway Station (my next destination only Chicago) a few days later and as I left the station (thinking my train a few days later might be 3 hours late) asked if you had to take the buses, the response was "You can wait around and your ticket will be honored on the train." I wonder if you had a connection though if Amtrak would still put you up in a hotel or invoke the "We gave you a bus to make your connection, your on your own until tomorrow" response.

looks like another great day on the hi-line. 8 over 5 hours late heading into chi. 7/27 4 hours late to sea/pdx which means probable late departure as 8/28 this afternoon. 7 around 2 hours down heading into western n dakota. when will amtrak acknowledge to the traveling public that there is a problem with the eb and when will they inform the traveling public of their plan for dealing with it?

Next month Mrs. Ispolkom and I are going to Seattle on #7 to attend the Seattle Opera's production of Wagner's Ring Cycle. The first opera in Monday evening. We're scheduled to arrive in Seattle on Sunday morning. Given the Empire Builder's problems, I'm glad we left that much of a time cushion.

Next month I'll be departing West Glacier on #7/#27, I may be waiting a while, but I wonder where?!!! Will the depot be open for shelter in case of storms?

Last edited by a moderator:
My BNSF contacts have shared with me it will get worse before it gets better. The added kicker of slow orders due to heat are now coming into play. He reiterated that the construction projects are not "one-offs", meaning BNSF has a substantial amount of work in the pipeline thru the rest of this construction season (thru October) and then starting up again next Spring.

Looking at the delays being experienced both during the week and also on the weekends the delay estimates seem to be right on the money (sadly), with around 2 hour delays for weekend EB travelers and 3-5+ hour delays for those traveling during the week. Troubling to see the increased delays for trains heading into SEA and PDX this week, hope that isn't a trend....but I guess there just isn't sufficient padding even on this segment to make up for 3-5 hour delays thru ND and MT.

:-(

I wonder if you had a connection though if Amtrak would still put you up in a hotel or invoke the "We gave you a bus to make your connection, your on your own until tomorrow" response.
No, if they run an ontime bus from MSP station and you have a connecting train and refuse the bus, then you are on your own if you misconnect. Amtrak will help you get on a train the next day, but the night in Chicago will be on your dime.

Look like 7 (19) did make up a few minutes. Right now it's only 1:50 late. 8 (19) seems screwed over, making up time then slacking off again, having left WTN 3:36 behind advertised.

The trains of 20 July seem to be already delayed as they leave their origins, which donsen't bode well if the delays pile up. At least it's better than some 7-8 hour delay. I don't think Amtrak is using the extra set from CHI right now.

As an added note, the 6 (19) has also piled up delays since leaving RNO.

Compounding the challenge:

Eastbound Empire Builder Train 8/28: Service Affected between St. Paul-Minneapolis and Chicago

Effective on Select Dates in July 2013

On the following dates, bridge work being performed by Canadian Pacific Railway near Red Wing, Minnesota, will affect eastbound Train 8/28, as described below:

July 22 through July 25, 2013
July 29 and July 30, 2013

Eastbound Train 8/28

Train 8/28, originating in Seattle/Portland (two days earlier than the above six dates), will be delayed between St. Paul/Minneapolis and Chicago. The train will depart St.Paul-Minneapolis at 9:50 am, two hours later than normally scheduled in the Amtrak timetable

Compounding the challenge:Eastbound Empire Builder Train 8/28: Service Affected between St. Paul-Minneapolis and Chicago

On the following dates, bridge work being performed by Canadian Pacific Railway near Red Wing, Minnesota, will affect eastbound Train 8/28, as described below:

Eastbound Train 8/28

Train 8/28, originating in Seattle/Portland (two days earlier than the above six dates), will be delayed between St. Paul/Minneapolis and Chicago. The train will depart St.Paul-Minneapolis at 9:50 am, two hours later than normally scheduled in the Amtrak timetable
since departing msp at 9:50am would be good otp compared to what the eb is doing lately sounds like a good time for the bridge work

On the 16th, the EB pulled into CHI just as we were loading the LSL. Which made for complete confussion because they were side by side on the platform and there were people everywhere. The red cap was trying to get thru the mess and finally just sat there and waited until someone finally realized they were in the way. I don't blame them because there were two ways to go, those who needed to make the LSL and those who had missed their connection and needed vouchers.

Luckily the LSL did not have to be held for the EB, but I think it would have been for a little while anyway if needed.

Compounding the challenge:Eastbound Empire Builder Train 8/28: Service Affected between St. Paul-Minneapolis and Chicago

Eastbound Train 8/28

since departing msp at 9:50am would be good otp compared to what the eb is doing lately sounds like a good time for the bridge work
Good thought--since #8 has usually been more than two hours late arriving in MSP anyway!!

:)

If the Empire Builder is late enough to go into the dinner period, do they serve an extra meal to sleeper car passengers? Try to clean out the stock, or does everybody have to make do with whatever is left in the cafe car?

I have been on the EB coming into CHI when it was very late (6+ hours) and they did serve dinner-several times. What you get is dependent on what they have available. Once I actually had steak, but the last two times it was beef stew over rice--not the most exciting entree.

BTW-#8 is about 5 hours behind heading into CHI-town tonight and #7 plugging along across MT is also just about 5 hours late as it wings its way west. Week days appear to be especially bad for both east and west bound EBs, as the level of construction is higher than on weekends. Most weekday CHI arrivals are running 3-5 hours late (as the BNSF people predicted), with weekends "only" averaging 2 hour delays. Making a same day connection on the EB this summer has been a real challenge!

If the Empire Builder is late enough to go into the dinner period, do they serve an extra meal to sleeper car passengers? Try to clean out the stock, or does everybody have to make do with whatever is left in the cafe car?
Well I had an extreme lateness on the EB last year, but we arrived into CHI around 9:15 pmish. We did have dinner - they brought on KFC at Wisconsin Dells. Here is my picture of my KFC on the EB:

IMG_0736.JPG

looks like 27's pax were bustituted from spk-pdx today for a 3 hour late arrival while 7's pax stayed on the train for a somewhat later arrival into sea. wonder why 27 got the bus? probably a somewhat late 8 out of sea this afternoon again

Wow, the trains are doing OK right now, 8 (23) is only 1 hour 10 minutes late having made it all the way to Minot. I know it'll lose time between GFK and FAr, but at least t's better than it could be! also, 28 disappeared, still says Overdue-PT. 28 might be a bustitute again.

Link: http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/cgi-bin/getmap.pl?mapname=West

Edit: error

If 8 is very late getting into Seattle, are sleeping car passengers offered a lunch?

If the train is going to be that late #8 is likely to be terminated in SPK and passengers bussed, since AMTRAK would not likely be able to turn the equipment around in time for an on time departure from SEA that PM. Good question though.

looks like 27's pax were bustituted from spk-pdx today for a 3 hour late arrival while 7's pax stayed on the train for a somewhat later arrival into sea. wonder why 27 got the bus? probably a somewhat late 8 out of sea this afternoon again
MOW track closure at Sprague 5am - 12pm. #27 needed to leave SPK by 4am to make this window. Unfortunately it was too late.

MOW track closure at Sprague 5am - 12pm. #27 needed to leave SPK by 4am to make this window. Unfortunately it was too late.
thanks for the info

After a couple of days of "only" being 2 hours late into CHI, this AM's #8 in MN is chugging along almost 5 1/2 hours behind-again apparently due to the challenges thru eastern MT and ND, along with the usual freight traffic. Riding the EB this summer has been an interesting experience to be sure.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back