Empire Builder Performance Unraveling for the summer Again!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping that all the double tracking that has been done would start to have an impact on the degree that the EB is late if not in the frequency. It would seem that they are arriving just as late, just as often though. I know that there is plenty of work left to be done, but I wonder if it will be enough to make the EB come closer to its schedule. Maybe it is time for Amtrak to declare defeat and build another 2 hours of padding into the schedule. Rock slides and fires are normal hazards, the current frequency of the oil trains are not.

If memory serves most of western and a good part of central North Dakota have been double tracked, right up to the Montana line.

Getting to Chicago at 2 am with no support from Amtrak to get cabs is not optimal.

This summer's delays are an "all of the above" collection of incidents, misfires, continued construction, heavy freight traffic and just plain bad luck. But, with that being said, BNSF still has about 15 months left on its major upgrade plans for the Hi-Line and while there has indeed been over 110 miles of double track installed (out of over 1000 miles total trackage on the "Hi-Line"), still much work needs to be done with other infrastructure. BNSF is also reporting some pretty healthy numbers for freight movements on this route as well, up slightly from last year, which was a record.

If Amtrak is still having these long delays after the BNSF work has been completed the upgrades in the Fall of 2016, then I would question whether the schedule would need to be changed long term. I do wish Amtrak had advised pax this summer that they should expect 3-5 hour delays into CHI on the Builders, since this is almost exactly what the average has been (as predicted by BNSF). Today's #8 looks like it will be just under 4 hours late into CHI for example. Amtrak must be getting killed on those newly reinstated connections in Chi-town. Most are now being missed regularly. Sad to see that.

We were on 28 earlier this week. A week ago(Saturday June 27) 27 arrived in PDX at 8PM, nearly ten hours late.Three hour turnaround. 28 was almost twelve hours late getting into Chicago Tuesday morning the 30th at 3:10AM. Glad they put us up in Milwaukee and we took a Hiawatha the next day to catch our next day connection. Being a train person, I loved every minute of it. I have a complete trip report in the travelogue section.

7(3) was only ~30 minutes late out of whitefish!!

Thanks for the info, Mike. I wonder if the fact that they have laid down half the rigs in the Bakken and oil production is down 10% will make any difference in the record numbers of freight trains on the Hi Line. Maybe eventually.

They really need a pipeline dedicated to getting Bakken oil to the Gulf of Mexico. I imagine a pipeline to Seattle or Portland would be "problematic". It is too bad it isn't economically feasible to build a large refinery in St. Paul or Chicago to supply gasoline to the mid-west instead of shipping oil all the way to the Gulf and then trucking gasoline back.

Never thought about it, but is the oil going over the Hi Line getting refined on the west coast or is it getting shipped out in crude oil ships? I have to imagine the former, not the latter but I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bakken oil isn't going to last long enough to make it economically feasible to build a new refinery. It would have to last for upwards of 50 years to make THAT worthwhile.

North Dakota is talking about requiring some basic "pre-refining", and the drillers are all screaming bloody murder. They don't want to build any new local refining capacity.

Which tells you how long *they* think this oil boom is going to last.

ALL of my oil contacts and BNSF people say they are planning for 75+ years. I just love how the pundits wrote off US oil production back in the 1970's saying we would run out of oil within 30 years-oops. Technology is making the Bakken happen now and NO one can predict when these fields will lose their economic viability now. My money is on the longer term, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that my neighbor, who is very much involved in this play, says less than 11% of all planned wells have been drilled in ND and even fewer numbers in MT. At break even numbers in the low $30's/bbl there is still a huge amount of oil (and also natural gas) to be extracted from this area. BTW-just 10 years ago the break even number was around $50/bbl, so the cost curve is going down.

You miss the point entirely about why a refinery is not economically viable on the Hi-Line. Any energy person will tell you that you try to place refineries close to major economic and transportation hubs that possess a critical mass of a number of factors. The Bakken area does not generally fit the bill. I look at our situation in MT. We have several refineries, clustered in the Billings area, which just happens to be the main population, economic and transportation hub of our state.

I see that MDU just opened a new refinery just outside Dickinson. It is not a huge refinery, but they obviously think that they will be looking at oil production for quite a while. People that I know say that the patch goes into Montana quite a ways, and that they are going to be there for decades at least. I think that it will be hard for the price of oil to dip far enough, long enough, to stop Bakken oil production.

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Energy-Resources/2015/05/05/New-refinery-online-in-North-Dakota/6001430819880/

http://www.mdu.com/news/2015/05/04/dakota-prairie-refinery-commences-startup-operations

CERI in Canada just issued their forecast for the next five years and stated oil movement via Rail from AB and the Bakken will increase by 44%!

Meanwhile, #7 in WA looks to arrive in SEA around 4 hours behind-hopefully a very quick turnaround so the departing #8 later today doesn't start its journey late, and #8 in WI is "only" 2 hours late today-a significant improvement over last week's delays. Hope springs eternal.

Evening Update: Sadly #8 left SEA over 3 hours behind, so it looks like a very late arrival time in CHI-town a couple days from now.

ALL of my oil contacts and BNSF people say they are planning for 75+ years.
Well, that's just plain foolish. Oil's going to be completely economically non-viable from the demand side well before that. The long term, I know about. There's multiple phenomena happening at once, and I could go through it in excruciating detail, but the effect for oil is that its role as a fuel is disappearing. The production price can't fall fast enough to counteract that. But that's a 30-years-from-now phenomenon. Still, it means that planning for 75 years of drilling is unsound; 40 years from now, nobody is going to be drilling and fracking new wells, because nobody will want the oil.

I just love how the pundits wrote off US oil production back in the 1970's saying we would run out of oil within 30 years-oops.
We peaked right then. Lower-48 production's been down since then. They opened up the Alaska fields, but the predictions were correct. Later, vastly elevated prices allowed expensive stripper production, fracking, etc., but they're only viable at elevated prices compared to ultra-cheap "conventional" oil.

Technology is making the Bakken happen now and NO one can predict when these fields will lose their economic viability now.
It's not so hard to predict over the long term (30 years plus), because their economic viability will be limited demand-side as oil becomes obsolete (which is already happening, slowly). There's complicated fluctuations in the shorter (5-10 year) term.

My money is on the longer term, for a variety of reasons,
It's up to you, but if I were you, I'd get your money out before you lose your shirt on it. It's one thing to idly speculate, it's another to waste your money on bad investments.

not the least of which is the fact that my neighbor, who is very much involved in this play, says less than 11% of all planned wells have been drilled in ND and even fewer numbers in MT. At break even numbers in the low $30's/bbl there is still a huge amount of oil (and also natural gas) to be extracted from this area. BTW-just 10 years ago the break even number was around $50/bbl, so the cost curve is going down.
None of the reputable estimates -- not counting the overly optimistic internal estimates, which is apparently what you've been listening to -- say that it was at $50/bbl 10 years ago. NONE of them.

The basin average estimate breakeven is still running in the $55-$65 range NOW, and yes, it has declined over time. I'm sure it's lower in the sweet spots, but they're small. The Utica and Marcellus sweet spots are at $25 - $30, *but they're small*, and the sweet spots in the Bakken have the same problem: they're small. The companies which managed to cherry-pick them will do all right, but that's not going to keep volume up.

Or maybe you're looking at pre-transport prices? Maybe that's it. The *wellhead* price is $12-$15 less than the *refinery* price which is much closer to that quoted on the international markets. At current *wellhead* prices, $30/bbl breakeven is dangerously close to unprofitable.

Or maybe you're looking at the pre-financing breakeven number? This is a huge deal, since there are a number of plays which are profitable if invested with cash, but have poor returns and can't cover their debt or give a decent return to stockholders.

Don't get me started on the financial engineering the fracking companies have done, which I've dug through in great detail. Suffice it to say that many of them have been selling their wells by inflating estimates of future production: drill-and-flip. In addition, many have been financing with heavy debt. In investment terms, this is fishy as hell.

Drilling is up a bit in 2015, but over the Bakken industry as a whole, profits aren't. Instead, debt is. This is a bad sign. Companies are deliberately doing unprofitable drilling in hopes that prices will go up later, or perhaps to keep the rig companies from shutting down. Some of the companies are making profitable decisions (last analysis I read said that EOG was doing well and Whiting was doing OK).. but a lot of them are not.

The fundamental problem with fracking is the "drilling treadmill". With decline curves of upwards of 30%-40% in the first year, you don't have very many years from each well. Improved technology has actually made the decline curves *worse* by frontloading even more of the extraction. There's been a run of scams based on advertising these wells as if they had better decline curves.

Given this treadmill, a fracker basically has to recover their entire drilling cost for a well, *and* make your profit for stockholders or bondholders, in the first few years. Doing this honestly depends on a very high oil price. (Doing this dishonestly is done by selling the well to a sucker at an inflated price after the first year.)

And the most fundamental thing about the treadmill is that the economics *are not like the economics of old oil wells*. Keeping an old "conventional" oil well running, after it's been drilled, costs *next to nothing*. It gushes profits for decades on end. Not so with fracking; the first few years production have to cover the entire cost. Sure, you can drill more, but this sets a minimum price which is *way* higher than with conventional oil.

Which means that if demand for oil drops (which it will) it gets easier and easier for the Saudis to undercut the fracking price. Which they have an explicit stated intention of doing.

You miss the point entirely about why a refinery is not economically viable on the Hi-Line. Any energy person will tell you that you try to place refineries close to major economic and transportation hubs that possess a critical mass of a number of factors. The Bakken area does not generally fit the bill. I look at our situation in MT. We have several refineries, clustered in the Billings area, which just happens to be the main population, economic and transportation hub of our state.
Well, OK, so that's a possible argument for not locating refineries there, if they think that the Bakken area will continue to be an unpopulated empty wasteland. It's the same argument for not putting refineries in most of Texas outside the coastline, though, and they did put refineries in there, because they figured that people would follow the really-long-term oil production.
I guess MDU, who are actually building a refinery, seriously believes in the field, though it's a pretty small refinery. Most of the drillers do not believe in the field's long-term viability, and their behavior makes it clear.

I don't want to get into an argument with you, but you are wrong on many of your "facts"--period. Especially US domestic production. You are about 5 years behind your "facts" my friend.......

I stand FIRMLY by my breakeven cost of low $30's/bbl. This is from a number of energy people who I know and deal with every week in the Bakken. I believe them, not your pundits.

Lastly, you apparently do not understand that the majority of the "oil and gas" that is pulled from the ground is NOT used for transportation--which is the notion many people have. These other "needs" will be around for many decades.

This rail discussion is not the correct forum for this, let's move back to the EB delays, which are relevant.

Meanwhile the delays continue for the EB's in both directions today. At least the BNSF predictions for the summer delays has been accurate! Perhaps even a little too conservative. My BNSF contacts have been very good in sharing information that has verified.

The energy discussion is a fascinating one, but you're right, mike, it's beyond the scope of this thread. So I have started a new thread which asks how the railroads will be affected by changes in energy generation and distribution.

Interesting article in Trains.com about the Summer 2015 Empire Builder delays. According to my BNSF contacts the 2015 plans (averaging around 4 hours over the past 4 weeks) were all part of a discussion Amtrak and BNSF had last winter. BNSF made it clear to Amtrak management that while things should be improved, 3-5 hour delays would still be likely this summer (vs the 6-12 hour delays from 2014). Noting that again today BOTH #8's winding their way east are about 3 hours behind again. My local guys were surprised by two Amtrak decisions: (1) pulling the extra train set from PDX/SEA, and (2) restoring the connections out of CHI.

More info in a followup email.

We had our normal dinner last night, and breakfast and lunch today as well, but it's too hot in the kitchen to cook dinner tonight. The diner left SEA with the AC compressor out; the crew has been doing what they can.

And the Long Hot Summer has just begun!

Look for more of this all over due to extreme heat! Slow orders, Bad ordered Superliners and P-42 failures also!

Disclaimer: What climate change?

And my friends in New England and Michigan (and Texas too--as we all know with the heavy rains and washouts the TE has experienced) have experienced a relatively cool and rainy summer so far. The very strong El Nino in the Pacific is the main driver of this Summer's weather, and will do so for this winter as well. I don't think the number of heat related "slow orders" has been much changed from "normal summers". My BNSF guys say so far it's been a "typical" summer for them across the Hi-Line, with perhaps less storminess than normal. I see #8 in MN is 4 hours behind this morning-better than 8 hours behind I guess.

:)

My Mom's ranch in Rapelje Montana has had a cool, slightly rainier, summer so far. Range looks good for July! I remember hot dry summers in the 70's and 80's that were gut busters.

If Amtrak is this late, this often, they should put out a new summer schedule that builds a two or three hour delay in. Then switch back in the fall in the hope that the delays would be less frequent.

I had often wondered about that. I did ask an Amtrak Customer Relations person about the summer slow orders perhaps 7 or 8 years ago, when the Dakotas and MN were quite hot and the Amtrak person said, at the time, that there was sufficient padding in the schedule to cover any heat related slow orders. I guess that was before the BNSF issues on the Hi-Line.

I see #8 in MN is 4 hours behind this morning-better than 8 hours behind I guess.

:)
A conductor who worked the train from Minot last night says:

What an amazingly awesome and vicious night. The lightning show was sweet... we lost about an hour and a half due to tornado warnings, flash floods and high wind warnings. Made for a slow journey across North Dakota. On a positive note, the a.c. was fixed enough to reopen the diner. Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back