Empire Builder discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Trains 27/28 normally transit the Columbia Gorge in daylight, and the scenery is often above the train, the Sightseer Lounge is the perfect place to be.

1976 - this is Wishram when we were working on restoring rail passenger service. The cliffs are quite close to the tracks in places, so passengers want to look up.
1976 096.jpg

2016 - seen from a Sightseer Lounge on Train 28.
P1040608.JPG

That scenery is quite spectacular. Although I have yet to take the EB (on my bucket list) back on Memorial Day weekend 1985 we drove from my in-laws house in Richland WA along the Columbia to Packwood OR where several of my wife's relatives are buried to plant flowers at their graves. Views along the way like the ones Robert posted above.

I was on the northbound Coast Starlight (#14) with a connection in Portland to #28, the Empire Builder. We arrived in Portland about 1:20 late at 5:05 pm. #28 left as schedule at 4:45. There were around 10 of us who missed that connection.

Why would they not hold #28 20 minutes, especially because #28 gets to Spokane 30 minutes ahead of #8 coming from Seattle.

It costs Amtrak several hotel stays, $40/person for food, several Uber rides to/from the hotel and immeasurable bad will.

They should have held that train!

I was on the northbound Coast Starlight (#14) with a connection in Portland to #28, the Empire Builder. We arrived in Portland about 1:20 late at 5:05 pm. #28 left as schedule at 4:45. There were around 10 of us who missed that connection.

Why would they not hold #28 20 minutes, especially because #28 gets to Spokane 30 minutes ahead of #8 coming from Seattle.

It costs Amtrak several hotel stays, $40/person for food, several Uber rides to/from the hotel and immeasurable bad will.

They should have held that train!
Yeah I’ve noticed with that connection in particular, they almost never hold it.

There were 5 times in the past 3 months where the same thing happened (where the transfer was missed within a half hour).

https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/a...f6=1&df7=1&buffer_mins=5&sort_dir=DESC&dfon=1

Leaving the initial terminal station late does throw them ‘out of slot’ with BNSF, which technically can cause them to get later and later. But I agree, they should have held for 20 minutes instead of making you wait 24 hours.

However, keep in mind there might not be that many people taking 28 through Montana. Either way they would still have to pay their cab fares and whatever else.

Pre-COVID, they’d usually range a bus to run late from Portland and meet up with the train at Spokane. Nowadays, they will arrange same day alternative transportation but only if you are going to Wishram, or Pasco. (Maybe Spokane too, but idk).

In theory, it’s a five hour train ride to Pasco, but only a three and change hour drive. One would think it would be cheaper to have a van or arrange bus service. The hotel, food, loss of first class revenue, a issuance of “we’re sorry” vouchers, plus the loss of passengers’ goodwill, would seem to make the missed connection quite expensive.

The second Seattle sleeper was added back as of this Monday! Info from the Empire Builder Facebook group. Good to see.
We are on #8 now and there is good patronage in both sleepers! Unfortunately the one we are in has not been refurbished (ever?) but the one next door and the transition sleeper have brand new carpeting and lights. Didn't check the transition sleeper, but the other sleeper has the new upholstery. It looks very well done. Sadly, not ours. 😢

We also did the BidUp from roomette to bedroom and they accepted my lowest bid of $340. Definitely worth it for 2 nights and 2 of us.

We're staying near the Portland OR Union Station and from reviews, it seems the surrounding area is inhabited with homeless camps. Is the area safe to walk?

We're staying near the Portland OR Union Station and from reviews, it seems the surrounding area is inhabited with homeless camps. Is the area safe to walk?
You'll be fine. Just don't engage and everyone usually keeps to themselves. Pretty much the case in any city, though there is definitely a pocket around the station.

You'll be fine. Just don't engage and everyone usually keeps to themselves. Pretty much the case in any city, though there is definitely a pocket around the station.
In last summer I was by that area (in back of the abandoned Greyhound station) to catch a bus and no one bothered me.

P1050909.JPG

What is the status of the EB's #31 car refurbishment? Thank you.
The sleepers for the Empire Builder are in the pool in Chicago, so as more sleepers are re-upholstered, there will be more for the Empire Builder.

I think a there is a bigger difference between a Superliner I (which were truly refurbished around 2000) and a Superliner II (which retain the dingy carpet on the walls and old bathroom fixtures). But there is no way of knowing which type you'll get until the train pulls out of the shops in Chicago.

How long do passengers have to detrain the EB at Seattle? Thank you.
I believe passengers are expected to depart from the train immediately upon arrival. I have not heard of passengers being allowed to remain on the train in Seattle for any extended period. Someone with current experience could confirm this or provide further information.

I believe passengers are expected to depart from the train immediately upon arrival. I have not heard of passengers being allowed to remain on the train in Seattle for any extended period. Someone with current experience could confirm this or provide further information.
They need to get it cleaned and turned ASAP.

Back