Empire being flagged

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The conductor not wearing a reflective vest was almost certainly a work rule violation.
No violation. Road passenger conductors are not required to wear a reflective vest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No.. I just did almost everyday for a month and was a conductor for NS... PLEASE find the NS rule that says I can't mount moving equipment.. Cause you won't.. I've done it hundreds of times. You'll see a recommended speed that you shouldn't do it.. Otherwise don't tell me that Real Railroaders don't mount moving equipment.. You have no experience working for any railroad correct??
No experience working for a Class 1. However you would be wrong about any railroad. No way I am mount or dismount anything moving, so not worth it. You may of dismount and mount a hundreds time a month, but one slip and your family going to miss you. If NS allow this behavior, it does not mean you need to put yourself at risk by doing it. Your life, your actions. I was taught how to mount and dismount moving equipment, and was told never to do it. Both as a rule, and as a unsafe action.

I've had my conductor from NS board a moving equipment when I've been working excursions. I had to pop the trap as we were getting close to him and shut it after him. I felt like an Amtrak conductor coming into a stop doing that. But the conductor really like which car he got on. The nicest one on the entire train he spent the entire day there to my knowledge.

I should add that real conductors get on and off moving equipment. ;)
Wow great advise. I wonder how many conductors have been killed or maimed get on or off of moving equipment.It's a safety rule written in blood. Don't you want to go home after your work day?
Real conductors get on and off moving equipment is an old timer saying these days but years ago conductors were trained to get on and off moving equipment and expected too. Then they change the rule. Hard to get over old habits. So if no one is looking......[emoji41]
NS trains their CT's how to properly Mount and Dismount Moving equipment. It's actually half a day of a class and is taught with a remote unit. IIRC it's actually on their final field assessment test.

I would do it quite frequently when working as a Utility Brakemen or as a lone wolf shifting cars to save some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure what the rules are on different railroads. Amtrak conductors typically don't seem to get off moving equipment, except occasionally on platforms. But I've seen them get *on* very-slow-moving equipment fairly frequently (after flagging a crossing, flipping a switch, etc.)

I am not sure what the rules are on different railroads. Amtrak conductors typically don't seem to get off moving equipment, except occasionally on platforms. But I've seen them get *on* very-slow-moving equipment fairly frequently (after flagging a crossing, flipping a switch, etc.)
perhaps they don't want the passengers(on the train or standing

on the platforms) to see them getting on or off slow-moving trains?

people see conductors doing it, they may just decide to copy that

themselves.(yes, people can be dumb sometimes) :)

freight trains have no passengers, so that's not a concern to them. :)

As I mentioned it used to be standard at Amtrak but they prohibited it some years ago. So they won't do it if there might be a boss around......and most won't do it if there isn't a boss around. They haven't been trained to do it and have been told not to. A lot of the current workforce was not around when it was SOP. If they were injured doing it how would they explain it?

As I mentioned it used to be standard at Amtrak but they prohibited it some years ago. So they won't do it if there might be a boss around......and most won't do it if there isn't a boss around. They haven't been trained to do it and have been told not to. A lot of the current workforce was not around when it was SOP. If they were injured doing it how would they explain it?
They also don't want anyone posting it on youtube, twitter, facebook or the various discussion boards saying they do it all the time.

SLOW THIS TRAIN DOWN...THE CONDUCTOR YELLED "I JUST WANT YOUR TICKET MA'AM!!"

I think this will be my new quote....and I'm sure Hal gets it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back