Emp Serv to GCT, LSL NYP Suspended, Other NYP Changes 2018

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AFAIR The test runs were successful on modified equipment. Amtrak and NJ Transit may be waiting for all equipment to be modified before certifying them for 125 ?

Was this project abandoned?
Abandoned is a strong word. Different groups have different priorities. We'll have more information towards the summer of Amtrak2.0.

AFAIR The test runs were successful on modified equipment. Amtrak and NJ Transit may be waiting for all equipment to be modified before certifying them for 125 ?
We're trying not to drive this (further) off topic.....remember?

Wonder how many trips the Amtrak crew will have to take with pilots to get qualified on the route to NYG ?
Shouldnt take that much, besides, Id guess there may be some that were around before the Empire trains were rerouted to Penn Station...just a refresher for them?

Last edited by a moderator:
a lot has changed since the 90's, and not many of those fossils still working, but don't forget Amtrak was running trains into GCT last year and currently is running training trains in and out 7 days a week to get all their engineers on the route qualified, it is only march and schedule won't take effect till june.

"Fossil's"?

Hey!!! I resemble that remark....Do I deny it? No, I just resemble it....
default_tongue.png

I wonder if at some time, Penn Station track work would cause Amtrak to send some Boston trains over to GCT, as well? That would be 'nostalgic'....
default_smile.png

Would their deal with NYS allow their use (the P32) for that type of service? Not sure if they have enough of them any way.
They could lease from NYS or MNRR. I am not suggesting that there are any available. I am merely stating what is technically feasible. I have no way of knowing whether any arrangements can be made to get the right equipment, or if such will ever be needed. Afterall this is all hypothetical .....

​Fair point, and MN has sunk a few bucks into rebuilding theirs recently, being in good shape makes freeing a few up easier. Not sure if they are done, or are down a couple at a time for the shop. But as you point out, it is only hypothetical.

Don’t the Boston trains (NER) run with ACS-64s? Not P32s, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Within the last hour I read the above posts that starting in April the Cardinal will not operate north of Washington. I have a reservation for 2 in a roomette PHL-Chi on May 16. The booking page shows no connection from PHL. To Was. Called Amtrak- it seems this just came out and nobody has an answer as to how this is going to be handled and to call back Tues. in my opinion, they should put us on an Acela to DC.
That would be a great PR and customer service move, but in reality you'll probably get put on a Regional from PHL to WAS.
That would be pretty ridiculous. Someone pays for first class and a direct ride, and in turn gets coach on an NER. Greatcats, if that happens call Amtrak as many times as is necessary to get them to comp you and put you on Acela (try for First Class). If the agent refuses, talk to a manager and explain that you paid for a roomette on the Card and will not accept coach on an inferior train.
Not exactly sure if that's the case. Transferring from sleeping car at NYP on the way to Boston, the passenger is in Business Class on the NE Regional train.

Don’t the Boston trains (NER) run with ACS-64s? Not P32s, right?

Of course they run with ACS-64s. Why on earth would they run with P32s?
I was confused by a couple posts I thought were saying that they did use P32s.
Show me where I said that. We have been talking about a hypothetical situation involving diverting of a few Boston to New York trains to GCT. . Pay attention!
default_wink.png

While I suspect connecting service at WAS is off the table, I am interested in seeing how they will accommodate the passengers with existing reservations.
When using "Modify Trip" for my pre-existing reservation (not rezzy) on the Cardinal from CHI to BAL the following was displayed: "A portion of your trip has been canceled. For Assistance, contact an Amtrak representative at 1-800-USA-RAIL (800-872-7245) for assistance."

I've not yet called, but an Arrow query just now shows the WAS to BAL portion of the Cardinal trip replaced with NER #66 arriving BAL at 10:52pm instead of the Cardinal's original 7:16pm. Too late for this old coot, so I'll cancel and fly instead.
If the Cardinal is late, #66 might be a wonderful connection.
default_smile.png

The real question is what happens when 50 is so late into WAS that 66 has already left WAS. That has happened to me on two occasions when I had a transfer to a Regional planned at Washington so as to be able to get off at Metropark. One time they managed to kindly stop the Card at Metropark to let me off, as it was running on the platform track. The other time it was running on track 2 so I was carted over to Newark to then change to 67 to get to Metropark!

I guess in this new scheme of things one gets to Amtrak's guest at a hotel in Washington waiting to catch an early morning Regional, unless of course they just let you sit in Union Station to catch the 3am Regional.

The real question is what happens when 50 is so late into WAS that 66 has already left WAS. That has happened to me on two occasions when I had a transfer to a Regional planned at Washington so as to be able to get off at Metropark. One time they managed to kindly stop the Card at Metropark to let me off, as it was running on the platform track. The other time it was running on track 2 so I was carted over to Newark to then change to 67 to get to Metropark!

I guess in this new scheme of things one gets to Amtrak's guest at a hotel in Washington waiting to catch an early morning Regional, unless of course they just let you sit in Union Station to catch the 3am Regional.
Years ago they just left people sitting in the station waiting for 190/160 (3AM). They would grab snacks and soda from Commissary and pass out to pacify people.

Wow. I attempted to read through this topic but gave up after page 7. All I know for sure is that I had a reservation for train 51 NYP to Chicago in June and that train will now originate in Washington, DC and will require a 5:30 AM Regional connection from NYP. I was able to change my reservation to the LSL still scheduled to leave NYP 3:40 PM so I think this topic as regards the LSL to much ado about nothing.

Wow. I attempted to read through this topic but gave up after page 7. All I know for sure is that I had a reservation for train 51 NYP to Chicago in June and that train will now originate in Washington, DC and will require a 5:30 AM Regional connection from NYP. I was able to change my reservation to the LSL still scheduled to leave NYP 3:40 PM so I think this topic as regards the LSL to much ado about nothing.
Till Amtrak finalizes how they handle the NYP-ALB part of the LSL

Don’t worry. It will change or LSL will be swimming in Spuyten Duyvil creek.

Back