Emirates places huge additional order for Boeing 777-9 and -8

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Last edited:
After Brexit Airbus has an odd problem. Their main developer of Wings is in UK, and the resident jet engine manufacturer that they had is also in the UK. While it should not be a significant problem initially, it has got to be a somewhat uneasy feeling to not have the Wing and an Engine under their wings, so to speak, specially in a world that is de-globalizing fast.

Their feud with Airbus continues. :D
Was Emirates having a feud too? I thought it was Qatar that was having the big feud?

Was Emirates having a feud too? I thought it was Qatar that was having the big feud?
True - Qatar was the paint IIRC? Reports seem to indicate Emirates have issues with engines (among other things):

https://apnews.com/article/dubai-air-show-boeing-airbus-rolls-royce-a93ed1506cc2e73d73f0b82230be9b26
There have been other reports as well. While this could be posturing to get a better deal, they seem to be moving heavily to Boeing despite recently putting new cabins in the A380's.

I believe Emirates has an ongoing beef with Rolls Royce regarding the Trent on the A-350
Only the larger, -1000 variant. Emirates will be welcoming the A350-900 next year. I think the engine is ever so slightly different on the two, but not entirely sure..

There have been other reports as well. While this could be posturing to get a better deal, they seem to be moving heavily to Boeing despite recently putting new cabins in the A380's.
Emirates has always been a huge Boeing operator notwithstanding its A380 fleet. Even before the entire 777X order (this one and the previous launch customer one) Emirates has been the largest Boeing 777 operator by a long shot.

Emirates wanted more A380's but Airbus closed the production line anyway. Emirates also wanted Boeing to focus on getting the B77X ready for commercial service, but it appears Boeing chose to focus on the B737 and B787 lines with the B77X a relatively distant third priority. This has drawn recurring criticism from Tim Clark but since EK only has two options for new wide body builds there is not much room for overt discontent. In the past an airline the size of Emirates would have significant influence on production priority, but these days most of the long haul industry is regauging toward medium sized aircraft.

True - Qatar was the paint IIRC?
I believe it was more about accelerated decay of the conductive under-paint mesh for dissipating lightning strikes. QR seemed to have a reasonable case for compensation, but their expected resolution did not match any other airline. With Al Baker's retirement it will be interesting to see where they go from here.

Back