EB mess

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how on time Fedex would be if they had to ship their packages on UPS trucks?
I'd like to nominate this post for the "Most insightful post by a poster with 5 posts or less". Well played.

I'm still wondering if these changes are temporary as there were dates (4/15-5/31) attached.
Did suspension of the Sunset East have dates as well or was it just TBD?
I don't believe there were ever dates attached, I only recall ever seeing "indefinitely".

I still don't understand if 27 is supposed to come into PDX about 11:30AM why it can't make a connection to the CS about 2:30PM.

If 28 leaves PDX 3 hour early it is expected into Fargo 30 minutes early from my research.

The other question is why it takes 1:20 in SPK to join the combined train.
They only added an hour to the EB's scheduled arrival time, but they must realize that it was always later than that. On the westbound trip, they didn't change the EB's CHI departure time at all, so it's unlikely to change the EB's arrival time in PDX. For the past month, 27 has been averaging about six and a half hours late, or about 4:50 pm. Assuming that the delays continue, there's no way to restore the 27-11 connection unless 7/27 starts departing Chicago at noon or earlier.

Speaking of which, I don't see why they can't move the 7/27 departure earlier. There's still plenty of time to make the connections between the CL, LSL, and the EB, and I would think that most of the eastern EB route (like MSP) wouldn't mind getting in earlier. Is there some good reason for not moving the EB's departure?

Last edited by a moderator:
To me BNSF needs to push this off to the government like NS did with the a crescent and heartland corridors. NS knows what they need to do. Berkshire Hathaway is running BNSF into the ground for profit and not investing in a hugely capital intensive industry.

This is what Amtrak provides...

On-Time Performance

February 2014: 11.6%

Last 12 Months: 22.0%

Link: http://www.amtrak.com/empire-builder-train&mode=perf&overrideDefaultTemplate=OTPPageHorizontalRouteOverview

So if you want to arrive on-time 11% of the time then the Empire Builder has you covered.
I meant to ask about this when I first looked at those stats - according to that link, only 42% of the EB's lateness in Febrary was due to "Train Interference", with "Passenger" being the second most likely cause of delays at 22%? Really? So 1 out of every 5 days that the EB was late in February 2014 was somehow a passenger's fault? I find that really hard to believe.
And if you drill down even further, train # 27 was on time 0.0% of the time in February, and 77% of the time, it was a "Passenger" issue!
Well think about it, if it weren't for all those pesky passengers, they wouldn't have to run at all, hence would NEVER be late!

This is what Amtrak provides...

On-Time Performance

February 2014: 11.6%

Last 12 Months: 22.0%

Link: http://www.amtrak.com/empire-builder-train&mode=perf&overrideDefaultTemplate=OTPPageHorizontalRouteOverview

So if you want to arrive on-time 11% of the time then the Empire Builder has you covered.
I meant to ask about this when I first looked at those stats - according to that link, only 42% of the EB's lateness in Febrary was due to "Train Interference", with "Passenger" being the second most likely cause of delays at 22%? Really? So 1 out of every 5 days that the EB was late in February 2014 was somehow a passenger's fault? I find that really hard to believe.
And if you drill down even further, train # 27 was on time 0.0% of the time in February, and 77% of the time, it was a "Passenger" issue!
Well think about it, if it weren't for all those pesky passengers, they wouldn't have to run at all, hence would N

EVER be late!
Well due to the unfortunate fact that BNSF is nOw part part of a hugely dysfunctional mess running late is the least of the problem.

I'm on Builder eastbound to CHI in a couple of weeks and wondering how the extra dinner is working. these days. Since it's a pretty regular event now, are they stocking food for it? If not, I'll plan on feeding myself but it'd be nice to know. Thanks.

I'm on Builder eastbound to CHI in a couple of weeks and wondering how the extra dinner is working. these days. Since it's a pretty regular event now, are they stocking food for it? If not, I'll plan on feeding myself but it'd be nice to know. Thanks.
I have personally not been on the EB lately, but I was on the LSL that departed CHI on Wed night. The EB pulled into CHI across platform from the LSL around 9 pm. Several folks hopped on board and I was chatting with a few at the wine tasting. The sleeper pax told me that they did NOT get dinner on the EB that day and they were very upset and hungry.

I last several times I arrived arrived 3-5 hours late in CHI on the Builder, they also did not serve dinner either. I think they will have to be really, really late now.

When the Builder I was on was especially late (10 hours) they served supper to all passengers. Sleeper car passengers received selections from the diner menu (not sure what, exactly) and passengers were served Dinty Moore beef stew over rice with bread rolls and a drink (milk, juice, coffee, or water.) I personally didn't mind the Dinty Moore, and was glad they gave us something.

Thanks folks. Sounds like time for some cheese, sausage, snail tracks, and chocolate. I'm spending the night at Loop Hotel, then east on #50 the next day. Should be "interesting".

On my last trip, they offered Beef stew, and it was 5 hours late.. that was around the 3-4 time frame.

-Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum App.

I said this before, after which everything went to hell in a hand basket, so I won't say it again. But anyone noticed any improvement for both #7 and #8 in the last few days?

Trackwork in WA state will also affect 27/28.

BNSF making improvements in the [Columbia] Gorge

BNSF Railway is in the midst of major upgrades of its rail lines across the nation, including in Washington, with improvements now underway on the heavily used Columbia River Gorge rail segment....
Seattle-based spokesman Gus Melonas....won't disclose its spending on the Columbia River Gorge segment in Washington.

Last year, the railroad spent $125 million along the Columbia River segment and it's likely that spending will be even higher this year. Melonas characterized the railroad's planned spending on track improvements in Washington as "a significant amount."

The work between Vancouver and Wishram, 90 miles to the east, will include a replacement of the 106-year-old Washougal River bridge east of Camas. That work begins this year and will be mostly finished by the end of next year, Melonas said...

As for system improvements, the most expansive upgrades in Washington this year will take place between Pasco and Spokane. Improvements to that segment will include new double-tracking in some areas, Melonas said.

Meanwhile, CP grain shippers are moving to BNSF in search of better service!

Canadian Pacific shifts to BNSF

FARGO -- Railroad performance for agriculture isn’t improving, and shippers served by Canadian Pacific Railway are growing more concerned their locomotives and crews are going to the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway in the U.S.
The weekly BNSF report indicates 16,761 rail cars were running an average of 23.4 days late as of March 21. This is an increase of 10.1 and 11.9 percent, respectively, from the previous report issued March 12.

Meanwhile, complaints of railroad delays on the Canadian Pacific Railway are escalating, although there is no report similar to BNSF’s to tally late cars.

Steve Strege, executive vice president of the North Dakota Grain Dealers Association, says he hasn’t heard this much “disgust” over a topic in years.

Keith Brandt, manager of Plains Grain & Agronomy in Enderlin, N.D., says his facilities are about two months behind on open car orders with CP, either for singles or shuttle trains of 100 cars or more....

Brandt has heard reports that CP has as many as 200 locomotives running on BNSF or other Class One railroads in the U.S., which reduces its own fleet. There is always some “power trading” among railroads, as they intersect, he says, but recently CP seems to be doing more providing than usual.

Has anyone noticed any improvement for both #7 and #8 in the last few days?
Honestly, from my perspective, it's still a complete craps shoot.
Back to "normal". Today's #8 in MN is well over 5 hours behind and even #8 in MT is running just under 2 hours late before reaching any of the worrisome areas. And 7/27 are about 4 hours behind as well.

My friend in MSP, who is scheduled to take the EB on Friday, says:

We have a snowstorm barreling down on us, due to arrive here Thursday night into Friday. If the storm were being transported via BNSF, it wouldn't get here until next week.
That's the funniest thing I've heard all day :D

Meanwhile, CP grain shippers are moving to BNSF in search of better service!

Canadian Pacific shifts to BNSF

FARGO -- Railroad performance for agriculture isn’t improving, and shippers served by Canadian Pacific Railway are growing more concerned their locomotives and crews are going to the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway in the U.S.
The weekly BNSF report indicates 16,761 rail cars were running an average of 23.4 days late as of March 21. This is an increase of 10.1 and 11.9 percent, respectively, from the previous report issued March 12.

Meanwhile, complaints of railroad delays on the Canadian Pacific Railway are escalating, although there is no report similar to BNSF’s to tally late cars.

Steve Strege, executive vice president of the North Dakota Grain Dealers Association, says he hasn’t heard this much “disgust” over a topic in years.

Keith Brandt, manager of Plains Grain & Agronomy in Enderlin, N.D., says his facilities are about two months behind on open car orders with CP, either for singles or shuttle trains of 100 cars or more....

Brandt has heard reports that CP has as many as 200 locomotives running on BNSF or other Class One railroads in the U.S., which reduces its own fleet. There is always some “power trading” among railroads, as they intersect, he says, but recently CP seems to be doing more providing than usual.
We certainly see a lot of CN and some CP locos running around down here in Ohio. Perhaps we should give them directions back to Canada.. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back