EB and Glacier fire?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
8-12 Update: The Thompson fire has now grown to over 11,000 acres (in just two days). While it is North of US 2 and the BNSF tracks by about 8 miles, we know the railroad is watching this closely because of the possibility that the fire could eventually effect BNSF operations. We could see the massive smoke plume in Whitefish yesterday afternoon, and we are 30 miles away from the fire! Currently the fire is totally uncontrolled and because of the rugged and steep terrain there is not a lot the fire fighters can do to put it out. In off the record comments one firefighter shared he said that the winter snows will be the main factor that puts this fire out as they do not have the manpower or the ability to stop this fire from spreading. Anyone who has visited the southern part of GNP will understand his comments. It is mountainous terrain (8-10 thousand foot peaks, no roads, few trails and very heavily forested).

More dry T-storms are forecasted over the next several days with little relief expected from the heat (90-100) and very low humidity.

8-13 Update: Sadly two NEW fires have now started just outside Libby. One on Plum Creek land, the other on Forest Service land. Both apparently lightning caused (we have several dry T-storms Tuesday evening in that area). Both are fairly small now (around 100 acres), but expected to grow. Since they are east of Libby not sure how they will effect BNSF and Amtrak, but they bear watching, since they are not that far away from the BNSF tracks.

The Thompson fire continues to grow to the NE and is not effecting anything but additional trails in the Park at this time. The main effect now is a lot of smoke and a huge plume that has become a media attraction. It rose up to 40,000 feet at times yesterday!

The bottom line is more smoke and more fires expected over the next 30 days as our fire season continues to ramp up, with no relief in sight (unfortunately high winds and hot temps forecasted for today and Friday with only a slight chance of rain Friday (more wind than rain) with more sunshine for next week.

So far the fires have not closed most of the Park attractions, BUT it is smoky some of the time-depending on the wind direction. The locals are referring to this "bonus" as added "ambiance". We had more, mostly dry, T-storms this afternoon. Not a lot of lightning, but almost no rain either. Should be cooler temperatures but still mostly dry when you are in the Park.

My BNSF folks say that even though the number of fires are increasing almost daily in the Pacific NW, so far almost all of their tracks have not been effected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for keeping us updated! Looks like the Thompson fire was slightly downsized in acreage, but a new one up at Goat Haunt sparked. Firefighters sure have their hands full!

Yes, the initial estimate was a SWAG, the latest sizing was done by GPS. I did put up an impressive plume for a while yesterday before the strong winds and clouds moved in. The T-storms yesterday and last night in our area dropped almost no rain, but according to the local news media started another dozen or so fires in NW MT. We now have 55 active fires burning in MT, many in our part of the state. No extreme weather forecast the next 7 days-that's good, but no measurable rainfall forecast either-that's bad. Smoke is definitely a factor now with so many active fires. We woke up to a nice pleasant breeze and temps in the upper 50's and smoky, red skies. My BNSF contact said they are really watching this situation very closely as some of the new fire starts could eventually cross BNSF tracks at several locations in the coming days and weeks. The USFS also announced this AM that their resources are spread so thin that unless a fire is threatening life and property some of these fires are just going to be allowed to burn.

Other than the above we are having a great time here in Western MT!

On EB today. Train was held in Minot for approximately 40 minutes due to brush fires by the tracks to west of Minot. Fires were put out but we were warned that train brakes could reignite them. Goslow rules may be in effect depending on conditions

Any word on the Sheep/Granite fires that have formed the "Thompson-Divide Complex?" The Sheep fire seems to be moving NE "towards the highway" (Hwy 2), which can't be good...

There are now several smaller fires that are indeed close to US 2, and thus the BNSF main line. I just looked at the USFS update. These fires are going to be very difficult to contain because they are in extremely rugged and steep terrain, and of course all of the timber is bone dry, plus the added kicker that there are many beetle killed trees in the area of these new fires. They are holding a meeting later today at Izaak Walton Inn to discuss the situation. Hopefully more information to follow.

The USFS announced late yesterday that there were at least seven fires in MT that they were letting burn because they now have NO resources available to deal with them and as of now, none of these fires are endangering people or major property assets. The forecast continues to be warm and dry, with frequent windy periods all week, and once again a slight chance of mostly dry T-storms around Friday, then back to windy and slightly cooler temps for all of next week. We just can't catch a break here.

I am sure glad I went to GNP last summer,,,, so far no trouble for YNP which I am headed to next week,,, my prayers for those in the area,,, may they all come away safe

We catch 7/27 this afternoon to GPK... Hope all remains as is/improves. The Sheep fire seems to have gone from 3 miles NW of Essex to 3 miles S, which is very concerning.

More windy conditions, with a limited chance of light rainfall forecasted for the end of this week. The USFS just moved to Stage II fire conditions, which further restricts access to forest lands and essentially stops all campfires and some other outdoors activities like construction and certain off road vehicle use. Many locals are surprised we are not already into Stage III, which shuts down access to all forest lands. It is THAT dry here. Perhaps after Labor Day, and many of the tourists have gone home the final Stage will be imposed. We can begin to appreciate what some of the folks in CA have gone thru now. NW MT is on track for the driest year since they started keeping records back in the 1880's!

We are fortunate that a big fire to our NW is just north of the BNSF main line tracks. The prevailing winds are causing it to expand to the NE and not toward the BNSF tracks--at this time. A shift in the winds could change all of that, but for now the trains are still moving thru without too much difficulty.

PM Update 8-19: The two new fires just a couple miles either side of US 2-and very close to Essex and the Izaak Walton Inn are being watched closely. They are currently small (both less than 100 acres), BUT a fire weather warning is in effect for Friday, with strong winds and additional dry T-storms expected, which could dramatically increase the size of the fires. Currently the USFS is not able to do any fighting of these two fires due to the very steep terrain (I have hiked in this area-very dense forest land, lots of downed trees, beetle killed trees and snags) and no roads. Local residents have been informed they should be prepared to leave on little notice in the coming days. BOTH of these fires may pose a serious threat to the BNSF main line by Friday if the weather predicted materializes.

Grim.

Late Update 9 PM August 19th: The local USFS firefighters are mobilizing to try to protect the structures in and around Essex (including the Amtrak stop, the Izaak Walton Inn and a number of private residences) from the growing Thompson Fire Complex (which now stretch from just south of the Essex area into the southern part of the Park). BNSF has stated that they are concerned about the Avalanche Sheds and one major wooden trestle on their main line thru the south end of GNP. There is heightened concern that both the Essex area and a portion of US 2 and the BNSF line will be effected at some point by these fires, which are still uncontrolled and growing each day. A significant wind event is forecast for Friday, which could cause the fires to rapidly increase in size and this could shut down both parts of US 2 and the BNSF main line. My local BNSF guy said there really is not a lot they can do to protect the avalanche sheds and the trestle. They are in heavily forested areas and would like burn along with the forest around them. If these are torched and destroyed (which is still hopefully not likely) this could cause a major disruption in BNSF freight movement and cancellation of Amtrak Empire Builder service for an indefinite period of time. This is still a worst cause scenario, but until yesterday was not even on the radar. It is so smokey in the Flathead Valley right now in many places that it is like driving thru dense fog. Some parts of the Park are fine, while others are filled with dense smoke. It all depends on winds. As the fires grow though more areas will become smokey.

I'm supposed to pass through that area on the Friday evening 7, traveling MSP-SEA. What will happen if the track gets closed? Will my train detour, or will they put us on buses at Shelby, or what? I pretty much need to be in Seattle by 3 PM on Saturday. 7 has been arriving in SEA mostly on time recently but this fire might really ruin my weekend as I am booked to be in Seattle for just Saturday afternoon until Sunday afternoon and taking the 8 back east on Sunday.

Surprisingly, last-minute airfare is pretty reasonable and I could just do that, but that is just from MSP. I'd hate to get on the 7 tonight and get into Montana only to have it cancel there, or get horribly delayed making my entire trip worthless. Unfortunately these are saver tickets so I would only get a refund if the train cancels, as far as I know.

Also, if the 7 that is supposed to arrive SEA on Saturday cancels, is this the same equipment that operates the Sunday 8? Would I be affected in both directions? Any tips are appreciated. I've never dealt with any Amtrak cancellations or diversions before.

Edit: I guess I can cancel a Saver fare and get a travel voucher, so at least I wouldn't lose everything. Do you think I should just do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well nuts. We are on 7/27(19) right now, leaving GPK on Sun morning via 8/28. I really hope these fires stay put- I don't know what options we'd have if the tracks close.

As of this AM the Governor has declared a state of emergency throughout the State, which allows the MT National Guard to be mobilized. The area around Essex was told last night that residents must be prepared to leave on a moment's notice due to the expanding fires (now three very close) in their area. Firefighters were pulled off one of the fires yesterday due to active burning and torching that was threatening the men. BNSF has hired additional private firefighters to try to protect the wooden trestle and snow sheds that are in the path of the expanding fires.

As far as what will happen, it is anyone's guess and things can change very rapidly. You may be perfectly fine, or Amtrak and BNSF may have to stop train ops with no notice. If Friday's forecast of strong winds and little rain bears out it could be very bad for the folks in the above areas. We are all hoping that somehow we get measurable rainfall and no lightning--but this may be wishful thinking. We are currently under a Red Flag fire warning for today and Friday btw.

Meanwhile to our west-and also a possible effect on BNSF tracks-- the numerous other fires continued to increase in size last night. While they may not immediately threaten BNSF/Amtrak operations, if the fires continue to burn and expand, these blazes could also shut things down from the west next week.

The smoke was so thick in the Flathead valley this AM that visibilities were down to around a mile in many locations. It smelled like you were inside your backyard BBQ grill!!

Well nuts. We are on 7/27(19) right now, leaving GPK on Sun morning via 8/28. I really hope these fires stay put- I don't know what options we'd have if the tracks close.
If you are only going as far as East Glacier you may be fine--except for the smoke issues I mentioned. People with travel plans to Essex are the ones "on the bubble" today, as the Inn may have to evacuate and shut down at any time. Friday could be a big day--good or bad. So please everyone hope for some measurable rainfall and no lightning!!

Yep, we're staying at East Glacier Lodge tonight through Sun morning. Will be keeping a wary eye on the west and hoping for rain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back