Earthquake on the East Coast

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Take it from an earthquake veteran and Search & Rescue guy, DON"T stand in a doorway. They are the weakest part of a wall. Get down next to something very sturdy (e.g. couch, refrigerator). When things fall down it usually forms a triangular pocket in those places.
What I've been told in emergency training at my office is that the "triangle of life" advice is not recommended; the current recommendation is to crouch under a desk or table and hold onto it as best you can.

Take it from an earthquake veteran and Search & Rescue guy, DON"T stand in a doorway. They are the weakest part of a wall. Get down next to something very sturdy (e.g. couch, refrigerator). When things fall down it usually forms a triangular pocket in those places.
What I've been told in emergency training at my office is that the "triangle of life" advice is not recommended; the current recommendation is to crouch under a desk or table and hold onto it as best you can.
If you dive under a table, make sure it is sturdy, many are not. The office desk is good as it will not usually collapse under normal debris. The idea of a safe pocket applies and falling debris usually forms triangle spaces. This is not the "triangle of life" that is so controversial. My point is don't stand in a doorway, they are not safer than cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the protocol for evacuating the major train stations, i.e. Chicago, Washington, LA etc?
I was at Washington Union Station when it was evacuated. The fire alarms went off and a computer voice told everyone to head to the nearest exit. It was quite orderly but there was no evidence of any type of threat that would cause a panic like an earthquake would.

If you dive under a table, make sure it is sturdy, many are not. The office desk is good as it will not usually collapse under normal debris. The idea of a safe pocket applies and falling debris usually forms triangle spaces. This is not the "triangle of life" that is so controversial. My point is don't stand in a doorway, they are not safer than cover.
Being too general about the best place to be is not a good idea. I spent a few days after the big one in Taiwan in 1999? doing preliminary building inspections. For some of these structures the doorway was to best place to be. It was still there with major failures in the adjacent walls. The major fallaacy in the whole "go to _______ to be safe during an earthquake" is that usually you do not have time to go anywhere at all. It is not like a hurricane or even a tornado where you have warning time sufficient to do something. With an earthquake the usual warning time is measured in seconds, commonly with the number being about one.

Steve, I'm surprized that your car was on the ground at 85 mph.

It was good there were no police patroling in that area!!
I've done 90 and it's on the ground.. :blink: Might want to check out thisarticle. :lol: Actually no police patrol 309. Very rarely do you see police on 309. Only MVA's do police show up on 309.. It's actually the only highway I do a high rate of speed on. The fastest I go other then that is maybe 75.

Steve, I'm surprized that your car was on the ground at 85 mph.

It was good there were no police patroling in that area!!
I've done 90 and it's on the ground.. :blink: Might want to check out thisarticle. :lol: Actually no police patrol 309. Very rarely do you see police on 309. Only MVA's do police show up on 309.. It's actually the only highway I do a high rate of speed on. The fastest I go other then that is maybe 75.
With your screen name I would expect you to say the fastest you go is 150. :rolleyes: The fastest I went was 125 but I was built in 1937. :lol:

Aloha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back