Down the tubes .......again......sigh.....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my planners opinion (in an ideal word). That wouldn't have been a Bart extension to the airport but SFO Airtrain would have been extended to Milbrae where all Bart trains would have terminated. Would have made better connecting to everything. The Bart station only serves the international terminal so from many flights your directed to the SFO Airtrain already.

Caltrain riders shouldn't have to transfer trains and modes up to 3 times from Caltrain to their terminal
There used to be a free shuttle from Millbrae Caltrain. Also, the BART station at the airport was built into the international terminal design. At the time, the City and County of San Francisco insisted on BART going directly to the airport.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/It-s-up-up-and-away-for-BART-SFO-extension-3089755.php

In my planners opinion (in an ideal word). That wouldn't have been a Bart extension to the airport but SFO Airtrain would have been extended to Milbrae where all Bart trains would have terminated. Would have made better connecting to everything. The Bart station only serves the international terminal so from many flights your directed to the SFO Airtrain already.

Caltrain riders shouldn't have to transfer trains and modes up to 3 times from Caltrain to their terminal
The whole BART/Caltrain SFO Airtrain situation seems like empire-building at its best/worst. Completely agree that passengers would have been better served by a joint BART/Caltrain station with a connection there to SFO Airtrain. But, no, as you mention, Caltrain passengers get no such benefit - neither will CAHSR passengers unless things change - BART was concerned with its own fiefdom, and no larger entity forced a better design.
I remember the discussion was one where the public sentiment was that it would be silly to do it without BART actually making it to the airport. The Mayor of San Francisco was also a huge proponent.

Yes having BART not go to the airport would have been stupid IMHO. That is independent of the Milbrae to airport situation. These airport people movers are not really that good at all over longer distances because they are annoyingly slow with very poor ride quality. Even the ride to the rental car center in SFO is not the most pleasant experience. Trust me I used to do that once or twice a month for several years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes having BART not go to the airport would have been stupid IMHO. That is independent of the Milbrae to airport situation. These airport people movers are not really that good at all over longer distances because they are annoyingly slow with very poor ride quality. Even the ride to the rental car center in SFO is not the most pleasant experience. Trust me I used to do that once or twice a month for several years.
Nearly a half billion dollars were recently spent on the cable pulled tramway to/from Oakland Airport. I guess the biggest deal is that one doesn't need to leave the BART ecosystem, when previously getting onto the AirBART shuttle mean a firsthand experience with East Oakland. OTOH, I used to walk down the street to transfer to Capitol Corridor. I haven't actually taken the new airport tram although I've seen it running. Oakland is just so ridiculously convenient to drive to.

I've actually taken that SFO people mover maybe once or twice, but I've used or passed through the BART station many times -especially after a late night transfer from Caltrain. However, I found the location at the International Terminal convenient since it was and international flight or at least a domestic flight from the International a Terminal.

Actually the station at International terminal is quite fine even for the United terminal. You have to walk way longer than that at Heathrow from the Heathrow Express to either Terminal 2 or 3.

OP here. It was about the broken down Southwest Chief that I cancelled. I cared about that one! Talk about getting off on unrelated tangents!
I know you cared about it. I was basically saying that i wasn't complaining about how it went off track...in so many directions.How was your trip to Hawaii? Still there?

OP here. It was about the broken down Southwest Chief that I cancelled. I cared about that one! Talk about getting off on unrelated tangents!
I derailed your thread, and apologize for that. I complained that I didn't understand a 'word' in your post, meaning that I wanted to understand it. Then the crash.

Obviously we inadvertently tapped a great interest in posting about station codes. LOL. Seven pages starting with a stop in Galesburg. That's a pretty good run!

I believe this video is of the westbound Southwest Chief that started this thread being led by BNSF 6617 through California. Video comes from YouTube user Trains232.

We arrived on Maui today from the Big Island. Having dinner after dark by our cottage amid the greenery of the North Shore of Maui. Somebody had to do it.

I believe this video is of the westbound Southwest Chief that started this thread being led by BNSF 6617 through California. Video comes from YouTube user Trains232.

Thanks for posting this. Yes, that was the train I was supposed to be on, but flew Flagstaff-{Phoenix-Los Angeles instead. I see that they have refunded my full fare, which is fine. I would rather Amtrak get the revenue, but if I had stayed with that train it would have interfered with the dinner and symphony concert that was reserved.

We arrived on Maui today from the Big Island. Having dinner after dark by our cottage amid the greenery of the North Shore of Maui. Somebody had to do it.
You suck.
At least he is warm

Aloha
It has been near freezing here in the San Francisco Bay Area for the past couple of weeks, so any talk about being Maui doesn't exactly place me in a good mood.

However, it does make me think about the time I was near the summit of Haleakala wearing shorts, since that was what I was wearing when I rented our car. I did have a jacket though. However, quite a few tourists stepping off of tour buses were wearing nothing but tank tops and shorts. Nothing quite like altitude to cool things down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back