Double digit trains-Northeast Corr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking the NE Regional service to NYC on Sat, and coming back on Acela mid-week. We enjoy the slower ride & stops of the NE Regional.

I booked business class seats and the train is #99 and heard from some Amtrak "insiders" that business class trains with double digits were sometimes the older cars with the wide, worn leather seats.

That would be great! Anyone know the equipment being used on that train and if the double digit leather seat rumor is true?

RD

I'd say "You get what you get"! It's all a chance of what is available when they put together the train in the yard. There is no set type of car assigned to any train. (Except for Acela!)

In fact, I have found BC Cars (including once a cafe/BC with 2x1 seats) being used in coach!
biggrin.gif

The 66/67 often run with the half BC/half cafe car that you are talking about, with the 2 x 1 leather seating, but there is no guarantee. That is the overnight train.

I have not heard of any other NEC regional train that runs with specific equipment.

Raildreamer, you are the first person that I've heard say prefers the NER's. I go on Acela As much as I can for points. :D

But all NER's with the exception of 66 and 67 (like amamba is the overnighter) carry what we refer to as the "full length" BC cars. So there are 60 seats. Unlike 66/67 which has 18 BC seats. Unless there are no BC cars then a coach car fills in for it. :eek: Which gives an extra 10 seats. But the seats are cloth in the "Full length" in the 18 seaters. Which is Half Cafe and the other BC the seats are a leather faux. Some of us think they are the most comfortable seats on Amtraks fleet.

very interesting - I wonder if the double digit myth may have been started by the 66 NER.

There are pros to the NER over Acela for certainf trips, which have been discussed in other forums so I won't go into them here.

I hope we get the leather faux.

very interesting - I wonder if the double digit myth may have been started by the 66 NER.

There are pros to the NER over Acela for certainf trips, which have been discussed in other forums so I won't go into them here. What pros?? :blink: Besides cost? The equipment is old but is kept up to date. Doors and toilets freeze. :ph34r: I'm interested to hear these pros.

I hope we get the leather faux. Keep in mind that Amtrak sells BC seats on your train 99 based off of the knowledge that their will be 60 seats available. On certain trains like trains that offer BC in the midwest and the Vermonter sell BC with the knowledge of 18 seats available.
Please note that I did NOT edit your post. My reply is in bold.

One Pro is the NER over Acela is it moves, sounds and just feels like a big ol' train...vs a silent monorail.

Last edited by a moderator:
One Pro is the NER over Acela is it moves, sounds and just feels like a big ol' train...vs a silent monorail.
Keep in mind that Acela is newer equipment. Built in the late 90's and early 2000's.

When you say "it moves" what do you mean by that? Acela does move, at 150MPH! NER's move at 125MPH max. Acela always has priority over NER's, Keystoners, and LD's because of it's speed and people pay top dollar to get to their destination ONTIME. Acela can go faster along the whole NEC simply cause of the Tilt and other features. NER's don't Tilt and need to slow down considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back