Double Days Spring 2016 (former R.I.P.)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Garner" is the operative word. The 100 point minimum is gone, so I would imagine if Double days return it would be strictly double the point value and nothing more. I used to get 225 one way on a short hop on The Keystones. Under the new system it would be 24 points. I'm not sure if the Select Status(25%)would double or not. If it did I would get 30 points.

I find it curious that Amtrak has not been running Double Days during January and February which are the lowest-travel months. But whatever...

So the funeral was held way to early...
Or as the old saying goes, it was only MOSTLY dead...

... of course, when you're facing a 90% base devaluation, it's hard to get all excited about a "Double Days" promotion that makes it only an 80% devaluation... somewhere under the category of "Thank you Sir, may I have another???"...

Without the 100 point minimum, my point runs using the Keystones..450 points with select round trip for $11.90 are over. Same trip now E:LT-HAR during the promotion would be 60 points. I do have some legitimate trips next month that will garner some points, but i really took advantage of the 100 point minimum to rack up those points. Another way of looking at it..it would cost me $100 to get 450 points during Double Days, instead of $12.

Yeah those Point Runs were great. They enabled me to do some really nice cross country trips in a roomette, usually taking the longest route possible.

Yay, my ride on the CONO and Empire Builder New Orleans to Seattle March 29-April 1 is Double Days. Unfortunately, my return trip on CS, CZ, and CONO is AGR award so I guess no Double Days;.

The 100 points minimum is gone, but the limits on four one-way segments per day still applies to qualify for the offer. Why is the segment limitation still in place under 2.0? Is there some "gamey" strategy I'm missing that Amtrak is still trying to prevent?

I didn't notice that, but they probably just forgot to remove that statement.

Under 1.0, a $15 fare would have earned 100 points (doubled) up to the limit and 30 points (doubled) after that. Under 2.0, all those trips would earn 30 points (doubled).

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Just a followup. Double days is on and I rode the lincoln service. Just got my first posting and it doubled regular points, not TQP on the base fare and not on the business class bonus. So for a $48.00 fare in business class I got 3 entries. So not really double days, but more like 1.75 days.

03/25/2016 Double Days Other Earning 96

03/25/2016 Business Class Type Bonus Other Earning 24 24

03/25/2016 St. Louis, MO (STL) - Chicago, IL (CHI) Travel Earning 96 96

Last edited by a moderator:
eh, it didn't double the full trip points earned (120) if it was in the normal time period. And I am assuming this is normal: that double days is not double TQP days.

eh, it didn't double the full trip points earned (120) if it was in the normal time period. And I am assuming this is normal: that double days is not double TQP days.
I've always assumed it was just double "redeem for travel" points, not TQPs. But then I never have enough TQPs to care.

Back