Do Amfleet II coaches have wifi?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know about wifi but they have great windows and curtains, great wheels and springs and shock absorbers, and chairs that are the closest thing to perfect (they would be perfect if the backs went back just a tad more and the leg rests were flush in line with the chair so that a true sleeping mini bed can be created). An Amfleet II is the greatest vehicle for land and space travel ever created. Risking rubbing others the wrong way, the so called 'luxury private railfleet' in private charters, limoscenes for the rich and powerful, the QE2, the Titanic, the Concord, even the Starship Enterprise, have nothing on an Amfleet II. This underappreciated legend was subject to waste and ridicule during the recent Diner Lite conversions. So many things could've been made onto this car, a more stylish lounge, a modern club car (aka First Class on any non-Acela train), it's trucks were somewhat superior to their earlier AI brothers and thus likely can safely be operated at 135mph or around there. These railcars of the eternal future and enduring hope for a better world will cradle your inner child and embrace the adult you dream to become. Besides that, it is a golden symphony of train travel with panache. They were born at a time when Amtrak dared to stare face to face with its rivals in the airlines and cheap auto travel, and they won without being greedy. We all understand there's room for everyone: trains, cars, boats, and airplanes. Amfleet II, along with Metroliner, Superliner, AEM7's and F40's fought tooth and nail to enable the entity Amtrak and it's lovers to claim the prize to victory while everyone was saying ...nobody rides trains anyomre... These same people got an Amtrak seat or room and gave the bloated airline industry a well deserved shaft in da shaft.

I remember when Amfleet I cars started getting power outlets at every seat. Those were exciting times. Amfleet IIs received them quite a bit later.

Likewise, we'll probably see the IIs get WiFi sometime in 2012 or 2013. The corridor markets served by Amfleet Is probably have a higher concentration of laptop and iPod-toting travelers than the LD routes. (Remember the median passenger age on the Palmetto/Silver Service trains from the PIP thread?)

NE933, a stirring tribute to the Amfleet II indeed. There was indeed something special about the ride quality of these cars 5-10 years ago. Unfortunately both series of Amfleets seem to ride equally rough these days.

Posting from a regional- Wifi is up now, and while I see no mention of it on the Amtrak site, the AmtrakConnect site has a map including all the corridors in the northeast, with dotted lines on all the trains with a mix of Amfleet 1s and 2s, indicating that wifi is "In select cars only", which I assume means not in the Amfleet 2s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back