Dining in sleeper?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, thank you very much for the information. I am going to try to eat in the dining car, but like the original poster, i am not to good with small talk and talking to strangers. But i'm gonna try it out and. I'll be on the train for 3 days, so if the dining car experience sucks, then i can just eat in my room.
Aloha

Good for you I like the others believe you will find the entire experience wonderful. My 8 year old Granddaughter gets her first Long Distance ride next July.

Eric

I feel that if Shaun wants to enjoy his meals in the peace and quiet of his roomette, he should do so.

I also do not like having to make small talk/conversation with total strangers.

However, I always have my meals in the dining car. I have tried to have some of my meals delivered to me in my roomette, but often the sleeping car attendant is nowhere to be found.

I have tried using the attendant call button in the room several times and it has yet to summon an attendant to my roomette.

On one trip aboard the Crescent recently, they announced lunch as starting at I believe, 11:30.

I rang the button for the attendant. I don't ever eat lunch that early, so I thought that would give the attendant plenty of time to get to me.

I rang again at 12:30, still no attendant.

Finally, I went into the dining car at around 1:15 and had a nice lunch. Since it was late, I got a table all to my self, which was great.

I did't see the attendant until the next morning!

That's what I usually do, go at the latest possible time, especially for dinner.

I often get a table to myself that way.

But, I have never had a really bad experience sitting with strangers, I must say.

On several occasions, it was actually a lot of fun.

I was once aboard the Crescent, and was seated with a young newlywed couple.

They were on their way to New Orleans for their honeymoon.

Since they had never been there before, they spent the whole dinner asking me about where to go, where to eat in new Orleans, etc. It was a very fun dinner, as it gave me a chance to talk about New Orleans, one of my favorite places.

Anyway, I wonder if Shaun can't find an attendant, can you order you meal "to go" in the dining car and take it back to your roommette yourself?

David

:cool:

I feel that if Shaun wants to enjoy his meals in the peace and quiet of his roomette, he should do so.I also do not like having to make small talk/conversation with total strangers.

However, I always have my meals in the dining car. I have tried to have some of my meals delivered to me in my roomette, but often the sleeping car attendant is nowhere to be found.

I have tried using the attendant call button in the room several times and it has yet to summon an attendant to my roomette.

On one trip aboard the Crescent recently, they announced lunch as starting at I believe, 11:30.

I rang the button for the attendant. I don't ever eat lunch that early, so I thought that would give the attendant plenty of time to get to me.

Finally, I went into the dining car at around 1:15 and had a nice lunch. Since it was late, I got a table all to my self, which was great.

That's what I usually do, go at the latest possible time, especially for dinner.

But, I have never had a really bad experience sitting with strangers, I must say.

Since they had never been there before, they spent the whole dinner asking me about where to go, where to eat in new Orleans, etc. It was a very fun dinner, as it gave me a chance to talk about New Orleans, one of my favorite places.

Anyway, I wonder if Shaun can't find an attendant, can you order you meal "to go" in the dining car and take it back to your roommette yourself?

David

Yes you can get them "to go". While working on board, we used to call this "Upstairs" as in "Prepare a meal for upstairs......." Usually the SCA took it, but sometimes a pax would make that request themselves.

One of the reasons hubby really wanted bedrooms was because he wasn't sure if he would like sitting with strangers in the diner. Most of the time, you can sit with someone who will not talk or talk very little. We have sat with some delightful retirees that were so sweet & fun that makes the dinner even more enjoyable. We have now taken 6 train rides and only had one meal in our sleeper. I think he kind of likes meeting new people & chatting with them over a meal.

My wife has a mobility impairment and I am not the most sociable of folks. When we travel together we frequently eat in out room. When I travel without wifey (and she has a hen party at home) I NEVER eat in my room.

Eating in the dining car with Amtrak seating is one of the things that I enjoy on Amtrak :D

I feel that if Shaun wants to enjoy his meals in the peace and quiet of his roomette, he should do so.I also do not like having to make small talk/conversation with total strangers.

David

Yes you can get them "to go". While working on board, we used to call this "Upstairs" as in "Prepare a meal for upstairs......." Usually the SCA took it, but sometimes a pax would make that request themselves.
The manner in which meals are delivered to the room varies. In some cases, the SCA carries the meal on a tray. On others, they have white bags they pack the meal(s) in. If packing the meals in the bags was standard practice on all LD trains I would glad pick up my own meals to go and not as frequently call upon the SCA to deliver to the room.

My wife has a mobility impairment and I am not the most sociable of folks. When we travel together we frequently eat in out room. When I travel without wifey (and she has a hen party at home) I NEVER eat in my room.
Eating in the dining car with Amtrak seating is one of the things that I enjoy on Amtrak :D
What's a Hen Party?

What's a Hen Party?

It is the British equivalent of a bachelorette party.

What's a Hen Party?

Oh thank you. I pictured something totally different. :D (I know, crazy Americans don't know anything!!!!)

What's a Hen Party?

More like a Tupperware Party.

RF

What's a Hen Party?

More like a Tupperware Party.

RF
Aloha

The description made me think of musical number in 76 trombones. :rolleyes: Sorry I can't think of the number's Tittle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back