Dining car menu question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tell people it's sort of like Applebee's.

Since taste is subjective, I find it strange telling people it's good (or not good), as I can't predict what their taste buds will think. So, I leave it at "Applebee's" and let them decide for themselves.

On all 3 of my Amtrak trips in October, I was mostly satisfied with my Dining Car meals. The Southwest Chief's LAX-CHI Chef opted to cook meats more well done than I would have liked. But, what I ordered was most certainly edible. I did order the Tilapia. Once upon a time, this fish was considered to be a "trash fish" and was not harvested. but, when caught, returned to King Neptune. Knowing that, I have never ordered it on land, sea, or rail. But, in October, I did. And, it was a very good entree.

Once upon a time, this fish was considered to be a "trash fish" and was not harvested. but, when caught, returned to King Neptune. Knowing that, I have never ordered it on land, sea, or rail. But, in October, I did. And, it was a very good entree.
A few years ago the United Nations hosted a series of Conference and Workshops to teach Third World countries how to set up Tilapia Farms and mass harvest this fish. Throw enough seasoning, butter and garlic on it and it is really a good piece of Fish. Even the cats enjoy it (sans seasoning) :)

Tilapia. Once upon a time, this fish was considered to be a "trash fish" and was not harvested. but, when caught, returned to King Neptune.
I've read online recently that most of the Tilapia you buy in a grocery or restaurant is from a "fish farm" and not caught.

Aquaculture of tilapia

"In modern aquaculture, wild-type Nile tilapia are not too often seen, as the dark color of their flesh is not much desired by many customers,

and because it has a bit of a reputation of being a trash fish associated with poverty."

I am not a fan of Tilapia no matter where it is served ( seems to be everywhere now days) but find the Salmon that Amtrak serves to be generally very edible as well as the steak!

My all time Amtrak favorite entree, the Lamb Shank, seems to be a victim of the "cuts" to the Diners but hopefully may return when the cycle that Amtrak menus go through once again brings back improved food offerings in the diners!

I still find the Breakfasts the Best overall meals and worth what is charged for them!Better than Denny's, IHOP etc etc and for sure served in a better setting!!

As has been said, "everyone to their own tastes said the old maid as she kissed the cat!".

Well, just looking at the menus for the few LD train dining car offerings I have perused, for some reason I am reminded of the menu items that are frequently seen at theme parks. Reputable ones, not the fast food fare you'd find at a Six Flags or Sea World park - more like the counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World or Universal Studios Orlando.

Now don't get me wrong - I enjoyed food at the counter service restaurants at both of those parks! I usually get the meal plan when we go there, and it is enough to keep me alive. I'm not a connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination. Even though my son worked in the kitchen (line cook) at an upscale lodge before he moved into the hospitality side of the business.

I usually don't eat beef when out on the town - I have grown way too accustomed to our own grass-fed Longhorn and Longhorn-Angus cross beef here at home. But, I may have to make an exception in this case and at least try the signature flatiron steak they offer. I don't care for the heavily marbled cuts as they taste "gummy" to me now that I have grown used to leaner beef.

I'm looking forward to our trip. It has been a very, very long time since we've "Amtrakked".

Here are some examples of what I was mentioning:

http://www.disneytouristblog.com/best-disney-world-counter-service-restaurants/

http://allears.net/dining/menu

at USO - http://allears.net/uni/menu/menus.htm

and: https://www.undercovertourist.com/blog/best-universal-studios-counter-service-restaurants/

Last edited by a moderator:

Since taste is subjective, I find it strange telling people it's good (or not good), as I can't predict what their taste buds will think. So, I leave it at "Applebee's" and let them decide for themselves.
That kind of thinking doesn't work for some folks around here. You know, the part about "let them decide for themselves". I too happen to think it's a bit odd to tell people whether or not the food is good or not. So I don't tell them that. I make the Applebee's (or the like) comparison and let it go at that. I don't need nor want someone deciding for me what's good and what isn't and I extend that courtesy to others. So I'm with you all the way on this one, Sarah.

Applebee's is way better than the diner!

I mean, it's better in the sense that getting bitten by one dog is better than two dogs, but still better.

What does that mean - How do you want people to interpret that?
Many people I know have been to Applebee's, so it's a good frame of reference. If they're from a small town (like my parents), I say it's like Big Boy or another local diner. Basically, your standard, mid-price, family restaurant fare.

Applebee's is way better than the diner!

I mean, it's better in the sense that getting bitten by one dog is better than two dogs, but still better.
Again, subjective. I prefer Amtrak's food to Applebee's.

This is exactly why I don't tell people that the food is good or bad. I say I enjoy the food and that it is comparable to Applebee's, etc, but what I think may not be what they think.

Many people I know have been to Applebee's, so it's a good frame of reference. If they're from a small town (like my parents), I say it's like Big Boy or another local diner. Basically, your standard, mid-price, family restaurant fare.
Oh, OK. Got it. But --> I bet not as good as Cracker Barrel ^_^

All the posters are correct, "food and taste are very subjective". However, when I answer the question about food served in Amtrak's dining cars, I try and evaluate the person asking the question, (young, old, old(er), known tastes in restaurants, do they frequent QSR's etc., etc)

I agree, that the food being served out of Amtrak's dining cars, right now, is not nearly as good as Applebees. But you know what? For the "kids" in my office (the twenty-thirty somethings) that's alright.

I generally tell them, "It used to be really, really, good food, and nice with linen, flowers, real plates, and fresh cooked meals, now however, the meals and table settings are much more spartan, but you'll probably Like/NOT-Like it............but don't let me sway your opinion, I encourage you to go into the diner with an open mind, I'd love to hear what you think after your trip........"

(then I shove a NARP business card in their pocket.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back