Dining Car experience

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the bar seating thing. When I sit at a bar to have a drink and maybe order some food, I'm seated in a line next to people. I'm not obligated to speak to them. I usually read a book or watch TV. It's sort of community seating, but not really.

On a plane, I'm next to someone, but I can just pop in my headphones and read a book. That's pretty common for airplanes, and it's a relief when the person next to me pulls out their book or knitting.

On Amtrak, I'm facing people, so it feels rude not to start a conversation. It would feel even more rude to do the headphones + book maneuver.

For me, it's all about directionality and being seated at the same table.

We've considered asking the SCA to deliver our meals, but I'd hate to put them out like that. I'd feel like a bother. I can kind of survive dinner if the other people do all the talking or it's a topic I'm really comfortable with. We had a couple super awkward meals coming home on the SWC (same couple, kept going on about politics and how we should get married and how are our finances? blah blah blah), but then lunch was kind of fun since we ended up with a college student who'd never been to Chicago. I went into tour guide mode. ;)

We've considered asking the SCA to deliver our meals, but I'd hate to put them out like that. I'd feel like a bother.
I can't promise that you'll always meet with success, some LSA's seem to not want to be bothered with this and will make up all sorts of excuses; but most LSA's will allow you to come to the dining car and order take out that you can then carry back to your room or seat.

One thing I find that helps a lot is introducing yourself and shaking hands with the other diners; that always seems to break the ice. (Unless you get someone who is uncomfortable with shaking hands).
I'd actually be a little iffy on shaking hands with a stranger right before eating -- I'm sure you just washed your hands, fillyjonk, but I'm not sure I could vouch for everyone in the dining car.

Usually "Where are you headed" seems to break the ice also.
Yes, I will second this.
I'll second the first and third the second! :wacko:

Amtrak does pretty well with the dining situation considering the motion and time schedules. Community dining is one of the givens and can be very interesting- as others have mentioned.

Travel requires flexibility and adjustment to all kinds of situations.

We're glad to have this mode of transportation available and do not compare Amtrak experiences to luxury dining or

resort stays.

As to sleeping car attendants being in the dining room, they need variety during their day.

We've considered asking the SCA to deliver our meals, but I'd hate to put them out like that. I'd feel like a bother.
I can't promise that you'll always meet with success, some LSA's seem to not want to be bothered with this and will make up all sorts of excuses; but most LSA's will allow you to come to the dining car and order take out that you can then carry back to your room or seat.
If you'd prefer meals in your room, it's your SCA's job to bring them to you. It's never a bother with most of them. I apologize up front for those ones that make it seem that way.

In my own personal experience, both before and since working for Amtrak, I'lve always been a good tipper and I've oft utilized the TIP To Insure Promptness as a means to ensure that a server or attendant knows what to expect from me when catered to. I have never given a tip up front and then been disappointed with the service.

As to the LSA and chefs in the diner I can attest to the fact that to-go meals are no bother either. It's no more difficult to send down an order from the SCA as it is from the waiter. Also, since it's typically sleeping car passengers with to-go meals, there's really almost nothing the LSA has to do to accomodate it, the sleeping car attendant takes care of the ammenities and accompaniments.

Hmm. Maybe I can ask the SCA if we can order a meal to-go. I'd be happy to go pick it up and save the SCA the trip. That could be a good compromise. I'll have to ask about that on the next trip and see what they recommend.

When the J.W. would come to my mom's house, she would be respectful and then hand them a copy of a magazine that she got from an organization in her relgious affilitation. Hmm, wonder if she ever converted any of them w/o knowing it.
Converted to a whole new religion by being handed a magazine? I don't think that's how it works.
You mean me handing out copies of Trains magazine isn't helping? :)

One thing I find that helps a lot is introducing yourself and shaking hands with the other diners; that always seems to break the ice. (Unless you get someone who is uncomfortable with shaking hands).
I'd actually be a little iffy on shaking hands with a stranger right before eating -- I'm sure you just washed your hands, fillyjonk, but I'm not sure I could vouch for everyone in the dining car.
Depends whether or not you can eat without sticking your fingers in your mouth.

Having said that my wife and I are not fans of the communal seating, I have to add that we have had some interesting and fun dining companions.

- On the CZ, a couple from Chicago. The wife worked for Amtrak, and the trip was an employee recognition award. At the end of the dinner, her husband announced that we were the first people he had ever met from Philadelphia that he liked. We still chuckle about that.

- A Japanese couple. She could speak a little english. He could speak no english. Yet we still had fun with them, pointing and laughing about this and that. In true Japanese tourist style, he kept getting up to take dozens of pictures of everything we were passing. I remember his wife looking at us, rolling her eyes, and laughing every time he did it.

- On two occasions, commercial airline pilots on vacation (not including our own Saxman from AU). They wanted a change of pace.

- On one occasion, the mother of a member of a relatively well known rock band. I say "relatively well known" because my wife, daughter, and son knew the of band and told me they are pretty big. I, on the other hand, had no clue. I'm not as in tune with modern music as I should be.

- Maybe the best: On the westbound EB, a woman and her granddaughter. We were having dinner as we passed along the south side of Glacier National Park. The woman was treating the girl to a train ride from the young girl's home in Minnesota to her home in Seattle. The little girl was maybe 9, and when they sat down with us, she would not even look across the table. My wife and I have some experience dealing with little girls (we had one once), and we made little snips of small talk with her and her grandmother. By the time dinner ended, the little girl was dominating the conversation telling us about her school and friends and anything else she could think of. Then we saw a herd of deer, and her day was made. That was fun.

So, we are not fans of the dining set-up and wish we could have the option to dine at a table for two, but we have had some memorable times, so maybe it is not so bad after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I start out my conversations with a very loud "I voted for Bush and I'm Baptist! I'm riding the train because it may not be here next year!" ... just to get it out of the way.

JUST KIDDING! :D

I've shared most of my dining experiences in the travelogue section of this forum, but here is a quick rehash -

I sat with three other "singles" on one trip... One lady complained about the price of EVERYTHING on the menu. After being told there was a cafe car, she wound up ordering the most expensive items on the menu. Then was shocked at the total. Then asked if the LSA would check her ID if she used her credit card (!).

I sat with a cartoonist who draws for the Simpsons comic book.

One guy befriended me on the Texas Eagle then found me on the Capitol Limited after I though I successfully ditched him in Chicago. He was telling me of his super strong faith and then how he wanted to bag this really cute girl if only he had a sleeper...

Most recently, I sat with a drunk and a guy from India who was very quiet. I was their in-between buffer.

Sat with several more - can't really describe all of them, but most have been pleasant. All have been an adventure.

I'm an introvert but I still like meeting people in the dining car. I'm 6'3" and 250lbs so sometimes I have to suffer distressed looks if I am seated as the fourth person at the table. I notice the dining car staff are pretty good at sizing people up, so they usually seat me next to skinny people.

I enjoyed my dining experiences on my recent cross country trip on the Cardinal and Empire Builder. I got to eat and talk with an Amish couple, always interesting, and I made some friends that I'm still emailing. Sometimes you get a silent person, or a crazed person, or a simply obnoxious person but on the whole I enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back