Difference between Sightseer Lounge and Observation Car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Observation Cars were the good ole dayz! I was still pretty young and I loved riding on the "City of Miami" from St. Louis/Carbondale. Even as a lone young traveler, I would kick back and just watch the miles go by. The lounge bartender would keep me filled with plenty of Coke with Ice and my favorate Illinois Central meal was "Skillet Fried Chicken"! Dessert was Strawberry Shortcake ala Mode and included in the meal! Always in the Diner. I think is was only $2.00 and I would leave the waiter a 5 spot! Mext day I got double mashed potatoes! Never did we think about calories or how mach fat in fried chicken, we ate cause it was great! Creamy gravey, homemade biscuits, wow!!!! Thems were the dayz guyz!!!!! Riding the glory days or the rails.

I will reflect on an issue I was totally unaware of at the time. The City of Maimi diner had only two tables behind a curtain and next to the blazing hot kitchen for African American Passengers. I realize that was the time in life, early to mid 1960s. But when I read that, it kind of made me sad. I read this somewhere on a train web site about the Illinois Central RR. Just a reflection on days long since passed. I watched many issues as a young guy like that and learned from them. We are all just people under heaven and all the same!

I believe Beech Grove #10001 would be classified as a Observation car. Probably the only one Amtrak still owns & runs.

peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back