detroit to ann-arbor commuter rail

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any idea what sort of equipment (cars, locomotives) they plan to use? One of the updates mentioned getting refurbished equipment from Great Lakes Central Railroad; what cars or locomotives does GLC own?

JUNE UPDATE
http://www.semcog.org/A2D2June2010UpdateTEST.aspx

looks like the locomotive might be F59PHI and cars similar to those used on Chicago's METRA

and they will have manual wheel chair lifts in each car.

the loco pictured is actually a F59PH (not PHI) its a fairly crappy photoshop of one of Metrolink's F59PHs. And the cars from GLC are actual ex-Metra Galley cars....based on the graphic design done on that link I'm quite scared as to what they will come up with as a paint scheme. Their logo for starters looks like it was done in MS Paint.

Maybe I should get my act together and send them my designs :D

peter

ps: I should mention that my design was done before they announced the name will be MITrain (that doesn't roll off the tongue that nicely either)

Last edited by a moderator:
From their web site, " The actual locomotive will be stainless steel, matching the passenger cars.........."

Now I'd like to see THAT again. The old Burlington Zephyr, and what motive power were actually stainless?

Another quote from the same web page. "The trucks are the “wheels” of a rail car............" Really? I thought the "wheels" were the wheels of the rail car?

Two errors on the front page, got my confidence up about SEMCOG!

A truck is the complete assembly of wheels, axles, side frames, crossmembers, springs, bearings, brake shoes and rigging attached to the, and onything else I have not thought of that is below the point at which the thing is attached to the car body.

Detroit-to-Ann Arbor commuter rail on hold; SEMCOG suggests raising gas tax to fund it

The highly-anticipated commuter rail line planned to run between Detroit and Ann Arbor appears to be stuck in the station.
The Detroit News reports the Southeast Michigan Council of Governments today indefinitely suspended the project after coming up $40 million to $50 million short on funding needed to get things rolling.
http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2010/04/detroit-to-ann_arbor_commuter.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+StatelineorgRss-Michigan+%28Stateline.org+RSS+-+Michigan%29

Nice comments they posted from twitter lol.

Detroit-to-Ann Arbor commuter rail on hold; SEMCOG suggests raising gas tax to fund it

The highly-anticipated commuter rail line planned to run between Detroit and Ann Arbor appears to be stuck in the station.
The Detroit News reports the Southeast Michigan Council of Governments today indefinitely suspended the project after coming up $40 million to $50 million short on funding needed to get things rolling.
http://www.mlive.com...S+-+Michigan%29

Nice comments they posted from twitter lol.
I like the comments on the site about the article. :D

Hell I'd love to see it come to play, sure use the gas tax!

peter

All cities on new Ann Arbor to Detroit rail line pining for new depots

http://www.pressandguide.com/stories/12170...081217004.shtml
Broken link.

Would the cities on the proposed line settle for Amshacks, at least for a while? Usually commuter rail stations don't have to be fancy: a (partially) sheltered platform, ticket vending machines, and arrival schedules are usually enough. Nobody is likely to be taking a lot of baggage, so a staffed station with personnel to check luggage is completely unnecessary.

I think that gets into whose definitions you believe. IIRC, the Federal Transit Administration divides things into commuter rail (anything that has ordinary track connections that can be used to move a whole train at once onto the tracks of a traditional freight railroad will be in this category), heavy rail, and light rail, as Alan describes. I believe the Federal Railroad Administration defines heavy rail as anything that interconnects with the freight railroads and therefore falls under the jurisdiction of their rules, and light rail as the various forms of isolated passenger only tracks.
I don't think that in FRA terminology, what is call heavy rail generally falls under FRA jurisdiction. Things like NYC Subway, BART, Boston Subway (Red, Orange, Blue) are heavy rail and they are all FTA and not FRA jurisdiction, and they may only have a notional connection to a regular railway line, but typically don't anymore. There are some heavy rail lines like PATH which for historical reasons are under FRA jurisdiction but operate mostly under waivers, and even PATH does not really have a real connection to regular railways anymore.

OTOH, FRA jurisdiction lines sometimes have light rail service, e.g. RiverLINE in NJ. At present this is done using a technique called temporal separation. However the trend seems to be in a direction wherein eventually intermingling of light rail and commuter/freight rail will be allowed (as is general practice in Europe and Japan) provided the signaling and control system provides a feature called positive train separation. In this context the term light rail does not include what is traditionally called tram in Europe. It involves only the heavier variety of light rail exemplified by equipment like the Stadler cars used on the RiverLine.

BTW, FTA until now does not have any uniform safety regulation that they enforce. They are in the process of crafting such, much to the consternation of some. The last round of WMATA accidents which were traced to what can charitably called gross negligence is what gave the impetus for this.

Yea, I don't see why a commuter station has to be more than a few bus shelters, a platform, and some ticket machines with maybe a small brick enclosure for a manned ticket window at particularly busy or tourist-busy stations.

The way I see it, the state/feds/whoever should pay for the platform, shelters and ticket machines, and if the municipalities want anything fancier, they pony up the money.

I find the Metra trains to be some of the best looking in the country right up there with Amtrak :p

Though I do admit, I don't like the SEMCOG paint scheme that much...

As far as I can tell it wasn't cancelled. One newpaper stated it was and the rest followed suit. There was some early talk about funding issues. But they've secured funding as far I can tell (I think the UofM stepped up and helped fill the gap).

peter

Build it. You won't regret it. Railrunner in puny little New Mexico is about as marginal a project as you could see, but its wildly successful. The free pass period isn't over for Santa Fe, so they had to strand a couple of hundred passengers in Albuquerque last Saturday afternoon. A couple of things I noticed:

1. Train doesn't have to be faster than car. Just competitive in terms of speed.

2. Thoughtful planning of connections at terminals helps with ridership a lot.

3. A rock-solid connection to the airport is the anchor to the system.

4. Comfort is a big selling point for the train. Don't short-change it by striving to pack them in like sardines.

5. Plan for the contingency of success. Railrunner has no practical way to collect the fares from the many riders. The two conductors are overwhelmed.

6. Standard-gauge is the way to go if your topography permits.
7. Have that cool roadrunner cartoon "beep beep" for the doors! It was awesome!

Wait one second, damnit. They are using... tri-fold diaphragms and cloth seating for a commuter train...? Are they crazy, or just stupid?

Back